*Magnify*
Path to this Chapter:
  1. Waking Up
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1797285-A-Fractured-Life/cid/1156711-Waking-Up
Rated: 18+ · Interactive · Sci-fi · #1797285
Someone shifts through parallel universes, reality inexplicably changing around them.
Chapter #1

Waking Up

    by: citywalker
I opened my eyes. My head was pounding but I wasn't quite sure why. In fact, I wasn't quite sure of much of anything; my mind felt clouded and broken.

Where am I?

As hard as I tried, I couldn't remember. The only thing I knew for sure was that I was indoors. The room was too dark for me to make out any details; I could only tell that it was quiet and felt reasonably cool. I would have to get up and fumble around the room, trying to find some source of light, if I wanted any more information than that.

Who am I?

The next question should've been simpler to answer, but I ended up just as stumped as with the first one. I could not remember any details of my life. My name... a blank. Where was I from, what did I do... all answered with nothing, along with my family, friends, and interests. Even basic things like my gender and my age didn't come to me at first (though it didn't take too long to figure those out on my own).

What do I do now?

At first, I was just as helpless as before on this. I couldn't quite plan anything out without knowing my situation first, could I? As I groggily tried to force myself to start remembering, I sat up, rubbing my forehead with my hand. My body felt sore all over, and the movement only made the headache worse.

"Good morning."

The ambiguous voice in the darkness startled me, and I nearly let out a small scream. I looked around, but the room was still too dark to make any kind of judgement on what or where that voice was coming from. I racked my brain, trying to think of what I could do, but the only thing that came to mind was just to go ahead and talk to this voice.

"W-who are you? Where am I?"

"Are you feeling all right?" the voice continued. "Don't you recognize my voice?"

I shook my head, a useless gesture in the dark but one I did by habit. "I-I don't even remember who I am right now."

A slight chuckle came from the voice. "How could you forget a thing like that?" it said.

"I'm not sure," I answered with mounting fear. "Please, just tell me. Maybe it would help me jog my memory."

"Fine," the voice conceded, "I'll help you. You are...
Members who added to this interactive
story also contributed to these:

Story Outline   · Recent Additions

© Copyright 2024 citywalker (UN: citywalker at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
citywalker has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work within this interactive story. Poster accepts all responsibility, legal and otherwise, for the content uploaded, submitted to and posted on Writing.Com.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1797285-A-Fractured-Life/cid/1156711-Waking-Up