*Magnify*
Path to this Chapter:
  1. Recovery
  2. Waking Up
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1797285-A-Fractured-Life/cid/1157633-Recovery
Rated: 18+ · Interactive · Sci-fi · #1797285
Someone shifts through parallel universes, reality inexplicably changing around them.
This choice: Erik Nichols. You're 18, and you're in the hospital; you should get your rest."  •  Go Back...
Chapter #2

Recovery

    by: citywalker
As soon my name was mentioned, the memories began flooding back. Not only was I eighteen years old, but I had just graduated from high school, the salutatorian of my class (only .03 grade points off of the valedictorian too). I was the oldest of two sons, my thirteen-year-old brother Aaron and I both living with our mother after our father had died unexpectedly in his sleep five years ago. The wooziness and unclarity lifted from my mind like a fog lifting from a swamp. But one thing remained unclear: the hospital. I had no idea why I would be in there.

“C-can you turn the lights on or something?” I asked the voice.

“Certainly,” it said. As I listened closer, I could make out a hint of femininity to it. It had the sound of someone who had been alive for quite a while, but hadn’t let those years jade them in any way. “You might want to shield your eyes,” she warned.

“Okay.” I did so, and with a flicking sound, bright stale light filled the room. My eyes took a few seconds to adjust, and when they did, I saw the smiling face of an African-American woman wearing a nurse’s uniform.

“Well, nice to see ya up and awake again, hon,” she said, as she started to check the machines next to me. As I looked around, I felt a dull poking sensation throughout my body, and looked down and noticed half-a-dozen tubes and cables hooked up to me.

“Why am I here?” I asked, shifting around a little. “What happened to me? And who are you?”

“Hm, you really don't remember me, do you?” The nurse shook her head and sighed. “Well, I suppose the doctors did say that you might experience a little temporary amnesia. Okay, fine. You’ve been here at Assumption Hospital for over two weeks, since you were in a big car wreck. And my name is Nurse Childs; you and I have talked nearly every day since then.”

I shook my head, trying to clear it. Her name did sound familiar, and yet there was something strange about it, like I was hearing it for the first time still. Even if I wasn't quite sure who she was, I decided that I just had to fake, if only to spare her feelings.

"Oh, yeah. I remember now." I nodded, trying to smile. At that moment, though, the sharp pain reappeared in my head, and I winced.

"Oh, hon, lie back down and take it easy. No need to stress yourself out on my account, ya hear?"

I nodded and did as she instructed. She continued to fiddle with the machines for a while, during which I drifted back off into sleep.
Members who added to this interactive
story also contributed to these:

<<-- Previous · Outline   · Recent Additions

© Copyright 2024 citywalker (UN: citywalker at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
citywalker has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work within this interactive story. Poster accepts all responsibility, legal and otherwise, for the content uploaded, submitted to and posted on Writing.Com.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1797285-A-Fractured-Life/cid/1157633-Recovery