*Magnify*
Path to this Chapter:
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/2108669-Full-Mealtimes-At-Gerberts/cid/2348386-A-Working-Brunch
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Interactive · Horror/Scary · #2108669
The highs and lows of a complex kids pizzeria, of both the weighty and horrific variety.
This choice: Bilbo Dennings  •  Go Back...
Chapter #3

A Working Brunch

    by: Elusive Wordsmith
"Excuse me."

The bakery attendant looked over the counter. No customers in the immediate vicinity. She shrugged and turned back to the novel she was reading.

"Ahem, miss?"

Yet another voice from nowhere. This weirded out the clerk to no end until she stepped away from the register. There was a short man with thick glasses, dressed in green and brown, who hadn't been seen from the other side of the bakery case.

"Oh, sorry," the clerk said, stifling a bit of a giggle. What a tiny man! She almost could have stepped on him. Her expression was easily portrayed on her face, as the man sighed wearily.

"If I could get an apple turnover, one of your bacon breakfast sandwiches, a lox bagel, a coffee with one creamer and an orange juice?"

She balked at the order. "Who's joining you for breakfast?"

"Just me, miss." Bilbo Dennings pushed his glasses up his nose. "Could you please be quick about it? I'm on call today and I don't have much time for breakfast."

She shrugged off his concerns and set to getting Bilbo's breakfast at a less than hurried pace. Bilbo found a chair to hop up onto. He had curly, reddish brown hair. At his size he should probably watch what he ate more often, given his small frame left little space to keep any pounds. He had a slight potbelly from having to rush his meals. For those that asked what his job entailed they soon heard an earful of it during the time it took Bilbo to give a full polish to his glasses.

He worked at Gerbert Gerbil & the Cosmic Crew. Not regularly, at least that was how the position was originally advertised. Gerbert's was the newest and most technologically advanced in children's dining and entertainment. Most of the infrastructure was dedicated to the mascot animatronics and their mobile platforms, a system that was Bilbo's primary concern. Although this had spread out into other issues the restaurant faced. Whatever hoodoo Bilbo or another worker had triggered there had been a downward spiral of problems at the establishment as of late. Bilbo dreaded the signal of his pager interrupting his time off. He'd had so little time to enjoy his own life outside of work.

So it was with relish and enthusiasm that Bilbo anticipated his breakfast, now more of a brunch given the hour of the morning, to enjoy without having to be called in. The majority of his past meals had been rushed or making use of his employee's discount at the restaurant. Much as he could be abashed about his height, although it made crawling under tight hatches and spaces easier, Bilbo wanted to be out amongst the world beyond Gerbert's. Beyond kids he saw at eye level.

BREEEEEEVVV

"NO!" Bilbo cried, startling the bakery worker that was just bringing his plate. "No, no, no!"

"What's wrong?"

"Bag it up! I'm going to have a confounded working brunch yet again." Bilbo pulled out his pager, dreading the issue he was going to face at work.
*Noteb* indicates the next chapter needs to be written.
Members who added to this interactive
story also contributed to these:

<<-- Previous · Outline   · Recent Additions

© Copyright 2024 Elusive Wordsmith (UN: raccoon6 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Elusive Wordsmith has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work within this interactive story. Poster accepts all responsibility, legal and otherwise, for the content uploaded, submitted to and posted on Writing.Com.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/2108669-Full-Mealtimes-At-Gerberts/cid/2348386-A-Working-Brunch