*Magnify*
Path to this Chapter:
  1. Humble Beginnings
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/2159468-The-Other-Side-of-Life/cid/2500369-Humble-Beginnings
Rated: 18+ · Interactive · Adult · #2159468
A boy is cursed to experience life from the other side, and has to adapt to his new body
Chapter #1

Humble Beginnings

    by: Komfy Kat
The smell of wet concrete filled the air, as rain drummed loudly on David's umbrella. Each step was accompanied by the sound of a slight splash as he walked along the dark street. He shivered as the wind picked up, and he adjusted his umbrella to compensate as he pulled the hood of his jacket over his short, dirty-blond hair. He stuck a damp hand into his pocket, feeling the thick envelope inside. There was no way that he wanted to lose that.

Light reflected off the road as a car drove past, splashing his legs slightly with water as it made its way through the night. It didn't take long for the car to disappear around a bend in the road.

David frowned, cursing under his breath. He had been working so hard at not getting drenched tonight. Though it was just the hem of his pant legs. Still, the car couldv'e given him more room. Although this was pretty typical for him. It seemed like things never worked out the way that he wanted them to. Sometimes he wished he could start his life over again, but he knew there was no chance of that happening. Still, he often wondered what it would be like to be someone else. Maybe someone who could actually get good grades and a decent job. Or maybe someone who could actually do well in sports without making a humiliation out of themselves. Then again, it would be nice if he could actually be part of the popular crowd instead of having to hang out with all the other misfits.

Another car passed him, seeming to come out of nowhere, he had no time to move to avoid being splashed again. However, instead of disappearing around the corner like the other one, this one slowed down, coming to a stop about 20 feet in front of him.

There was no buildings around. The closest ones were around the bend in the road. And there was no other people nearby. David slowed his pace, cautiously nearing the car. He craned his head trying to see inside the dark cabin of the car.

There was a single person in the driver's seat, and the sound of the windshield wipers could be heard over the sound of the rain periodically. The car was a dark blue, making it almost look black in the dark of night, though it looked like a rather nice car. As David approached, the passenger door opened, and the light came on illuminating the driver.

The driver seemed to be a woman in her 20's with raven hair that was pulled into a long braid. She had piercing green eyes with an apologetic look on her face. She waved David over, and he slowly neared the open door.

"Do you need a ride?" The girl asked in a melodic voice.

David frowned slightly, it would be nice to get out of the rain, but he wasn't keen on getting in random cars with strangers. Though, he figured he could probably overpower her if she tried anything. She had a rather small build, with almost no visible muscles to speak of.

"Sure," David said, climbing into the passenger seat, he closed his umbrella and shook it off before pulling it inside and closing the door, "My ride bailed on me at the last minute, so I had to walk home from work instead."

She gave a sympathetic smile, "That sucks. Just let me know how to get there."

The car slowly accelerated, the rain beating down on the windshield in sheets. The inside of the car was the perfect temperature, with a hint smell of pine. The seats were leather, and there was wood paneling on the dash. David looked out the window, watching the scenery as the girl spoke.

"I was on my way home from work too, when I saw you looking rather wet out in the rain, and figured I could do my good deed for the day." She said, watching the road as she drove, "I know it's probably weird, but I just can't help not helping someone in need. No matter what it is that they need."

David turned towards her, "Thank you for the ride."

She smiled, "Your welcome."

David leaned back in the chair, checking his pocket for the envelope, feeling relieved that it was still there, "My name's David, by the way."

"I'm Sarah," the girl replied, "I'd shake your hand, but..."

"I understand. Best not to drive off the road." David chuckled, starting to feel a bit more at ease. She seemed pretty genuine in her desire to help, and it wasn't like she was rushing off in some random direction away from his home.

It was quiet for a few minutes before David spoke again, "So where do you work?"

She smiled, "I'm glad that you asked. I'm actually self employed as it were. You see, I grant wishes."

"Wait, what?" David said, laughing to himself.

"You see, that is actually why I stopped. I can tell that you have a wish that I think I can help with." She continued, smiling as she spoke.

"You're toying with me right? I never believed in all that magic mumbo-jumbo." David said shaking his head. It was just his luck that he would get the one car with the crazy person.

She laughed, "You don't have to believe in it for it to be real. Actually, most of my clients don't usually believe at first."

"Look, I appreciate the ride, but I'm just not interested in all that hocus-pocus stuff." Theo said, realizing she was probably just trying to make a sale as a fortune teller or something.

She smiled, "Here we are. Home, sweet home."

David looked out the window at the surroundings. They were on a tree-lined street, with houses on both sides. They were in front of a two-story yellow house, with its porch lights on. There was a single car in the driveway, but David knew there were two more in the garage.

"Thanks for the ride." He said as he opened the door.

Sarah extended her hand, and David shook it, "There has to be perfect balance in life. Every action must be paid for with exactly the right payment. Otherwise, the world would fall out of balance. As payment for the ride, you can stop by my shop tomorrow after you get off school."

"I told you, I'm not into that kind of thing. But I guess it couldn't hurt to at least see what you offer." David said, unfolding his umbrella.

Sarah smiled again, "Just one last question. If you were a girl, what would you like your name to be?"

He looked at her, wondering if she was kidding, but she looked completely serious. He thought for a moment before replying, "I guess it would be...

You have the following choices:

*Noteb*
1. Danielle

2. Maddie

3. Catherine

*Noteb*
4. Heather

5. READER CHOICE

*Noteb* indicates the next chapter needs to be written.
Members who added to this interactive
story also contributed to these:

Story Outline   · Recent Additions

© Copyright 2024 Komfy Kat (UN: komfykat at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Komfy Kat has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work within this interactive story. Poster accepts all responsibility, legal and otherwise, for the content uploaded, submitted to and posted on Writing.Com.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/2159468-The-Other-Side-of-Life/cid/2500369-Humble-Beginnings