*Magnify*
Path to this Chapter:
  1. An introduction
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/295669-Following-Destiny/cid/305724-An-introduction
by Andrea
Rated: 18+ · Interactive · Fantasy · #295669
A traditional fantasy story set in a land on the brink of war
Chapter #1

An introduction

    by: Andrea
As with many stories, this one begins on a dark stormy night. The rain had been lashing down in torrents for some time now and the guards on the gates of the city walls were getting more and more edgy. Anyone with the slightest intelligence knew that the country was threatened by the advancing armies of Cardac to the North. And, on a bitterly cold evening such as this, it was easy to imagine foul things going on outside the relative safety of the city walls.

Through the pounding of the rain came a slow rhythm of another sort. The thundering hooves of an approaching animal, presumably with rider. But was the intention to aim for safety or attack?

Slowly, and with caution, six guards made their way to the barrier. Although they would appear within touching distance to the visitor, the invisible field would protect them until they managed to seek identification. Few were travelling at present, all needed to be checked, and a show of numbers, even if unnecessary, was always good.

The rider had approached and was dismounting. Through the rain it was difficult to distinguish features, although the animal currently appeared far more interesting than its rider. It was a faelan, the best description of which would be similar in shape to a horse, with wings. These creatures were notoriously quick and close to impossible to train, although this one seemed happily at its rider's command. To own such an animal was a sign of wealth, for to buy even an untrained specimen would cost more than a guard could earn in a lifetime.

The rider stepped forward and, closely watched by the guards, was revealed to be as unthreatening as a young girl, perhaps twenty or so.

"Halt. What business do you have here?"

"I come in peace. I am seeking refuge within the city and to help however I can in the upcoming struggle."
Members who added to this interactive
story also contributed to these:

Story Outline   · Recent Additions

© Copyright 2024 Andrea (UN: astephenson at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Andrea has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work within this interactive story. Poster accepts all responsibility, legal and otherwise, for the content uploaded, submitted to and posted on Writing.Com.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/295669-Following-Destiny/cid/305724-An-introduction