*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1018992-drifter
Rated: E · Fiction · Fantasy · #1018992
short story : This is a work in progress so bear with me.
The town was just as she had seen it. The walls surrounding the town were as tall as the forest trees she now stepped out from. The well near the edge of the town was just where she knew it would be. As she approached, she could feel the presence of what she came for flowing through her body. And she knew it was aware of her arrival. As she crept closer to the well, she thought she heard voices in the distance. She stopped abruptly and dropped down beneath the night's thick fog. She listened again, but heard nothing. Maybe it was just the hunger starting to get to her.
She crawled the rest of the way to the well just in case it wasn't her imagination. Placing her hand on the grey stone of the well, she felt the cold from its surface crawl up her arm. As she stood back up, her chilling blue eyes peered out from beneath the hood of her cloak and absorbed everything around her. Satisfied she was alone, she focused her attention on the well. Peering down it she saw nothing but the stream of water running fifty feet below. At night when the sun had shown the last of its fire, her eyes faded to a piercing blue and she was able to not only see in the dark as clearly as humans see in the day, but she was able to see great distances. During daylight, her eyes would change back to a yellowish-red as if trying to compete with the harshness of the sun. Grabbing the bucket sitting next to her, she lowered it down until she felt it get tugged by the force of the water. After letting it fill to the brim, she pulled it back up and drank from it as if she hadn't consumed anything in days.
She did not know why exactly she made this long journey. She only knew of what she saw in her dreams every night since she...well woke. She knew there was something in this town that seemed to want her to find it.

© Copyright 2005 theRabbitGhoul (rsanchez at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1018992-drifter