*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1045032-What-Seperation
Rated: 13+ · Essay · Political · #1045032
A narrative essay on why Church and state are not really seperated
In my math class, November 24 2005, I stated to my friend “I don’t believe in god.” My friend and I were having a discussion on the separation of church and state.

After I stated my belief that--being an American--I am allowed to state, a fellow classmate a few chairs down said, “what did you say?” And I responded, “I don’t believe in god.” I paused for a second and stared at him and the others around, then continued, “but I have nothing against those who do[believe in god].”

After a few seconds of silence one of my classmates at that table, Alex Espenche, said, “Oh, you did not just say that.” I waited to see what else he had to say. A girl next to him said something to the effect of “oh no, he did not!” After a few moments full of slandered insults, pencils and other stationary objects began flying my way in a violent manner. (I don’t throw shit at someone praying before a test.)

“Don’t be dissing Jesus!” Said Alex.

My teacher, Ms. Jackson, walked over and asked, “What’s going on here?” I responded “is school supposed to be a place where I can come and voice my opinion without being discriminated?” She responded “sometimes you need to keep your opinions to yourself.”

I swear-on my life-that if I had said, “I am proud property of Jesus Christ,” I would not have been told to oppress my opinion.

If my teacher had been atheist would she have told me to keep it to myself? I highly doubt it.

What I am trying to say is, the opinions of my teachers should not be affecting the classroom. And I might remind you none of the children from that table were punished for throwing objects or using vulgar language. I think this says a lot.

There are many other examples I can use, from my experience, as well as others. And this doesn’t just go for Atheism/Christianity. A child at another school got sent to a detention simply for not being “patriotic.”

There is a political trying to suppress sex (which if was wrong we wouldn’t be here) in schools with the exception of maybe telling girls if you have an abortion or get pregnant you’ll get deadly diseases.

In Europe they teach kids about sex at age 5. It is little known fact that Europe has a far lower abortion and teen pregnancy rate than in the US, because they don’t suppress sex. And because of this they get access to the “do’s and don’ts” of sex, and how to safely handle it. Deny it as much as you like, but the reason sex is suppressed in schools is because we are a Christian based society. If we are a Christian based society there is no wall between church and state.
Separation my ass.
© Copyright 2005 batboy189 (batboy189 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1045032-What-Seperation