*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1048912-Ch1-The-Dream-of-Reality
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Fantasy · #1048912
The story of a girl who has found herself in a strange world, what will become of her?
         This has to be a dream right? I thought to myself as I walked down a crumbling stone hall, that stank strongly of blood and dust. Even though I had never seen this place before it felt so familiar, almost like deja vu.

         I neared the end of the long walk way, spotting what looked to be some sort of strange pictures embedded into the left side of the gigantic wall. I studied the weird drawings closely; the first, in a bluish color, pictured a person holding a sword up toward the sky, the second, depicted in red, a bloody battle scene, but this time the person who held the sword was leading a victorious army... no longer standing alone, and last, in green, was a portrait of the very same person, this time healing and protecting the people. All of these drawings had some sort of writing underneath them, but I could not make out the words.

         "What weird drawings..." I wondered aloud, my voice echoing throughout the abandoned stone ruins. Really, this dream seemed so strange, I hadn't watched any crazy movies or played any RPG's lately, so why did I dream about such things? Hesitantly, I reached out to touch the last scene, but before doing so, a voice interrupted from behind me.

         "No, no, Sentaku, what are you doing? You know you should not touch things that do not belong to you," a deep, strangely accented voice commented.

         Quickly, I turned around in alarm. The sight that met me was truly astonishing; a young man who looked to be about twenty, four years my senior, with dark, silky red hair down to his waist, gleaming green eyes flecked with gold, and a well sculpted face along with a six pack to boot--I noticed because he, fortunately, had no shirt on--slumped elegantly against the wall next to me, looking at me with unabashed interest. He slowly looked me up and down--causing me to blush in discomfort--then smirked at me as he came closer.

         "My, my... I didn't expect you to be so, well, how do I put this? Young," he said with amusement, his green eyes glowing. He sauntered over to me, holding out a slender hand, "My name is Ketsueki, milady." Then, after a moment he added, "Are you not curious as to what it means?" His eyes danced with laughter.

         "Who gives a care, and... how did you know my name?" I asked suspiciously, noticing how he'd known my name when I hadn't even told him. My momentary bewitchment by his beauty dissipated. Ignoring the outstretched hand, I sidled over to the door at the end of the hall, my feet treading on the ground quietly.

         "Oh, I just read it in your mind," Ketsueki said as he chuckled, his eyes following my every movement. "Ah, dear Sentaku... You shall indeed care about the meaning of my name, very, very soon." Having said this, his body vanished into nothing, leaving no trace of his ethereal existence behind.

         Oookay... whats going on here... and why did I just start talking to a figment of my imagination? It was a hot figment of my imagination, I'll give it that, but still a figment. I glanced around, beginning to wonder if this really was a dream or quite real... Everything seemed so touchable. Usually, in dreams, they were so frail that I could feel it, and knew it was imaginary, but with this one, it felt as if I could taste it, hear it as I would in real every day life.

         Since I was near the end of the ruins, I decided to go through the door there, thinking I might discover the answers to at least some of my questions. I departed from the hall, finding myself in a beautiful sun lit garden, filled with greenery and fresh, sweet smelling flowers. Birds soared in the sky above me, chirping a beautiful melody. In the center of the garden I discovered what looked to be a small ordinary pond, but the unusual thing about this pond, was that it had a sword floating a few inches above the center of its crystal-clear water. A beautifully crafted sword, the blade reaching about four feet in length, with an added half a foot or so with its ornate hilt. The blade consisted in color of a shiny metallic silver with a swirl of gold wrapped around its length. Etched into the blade were several letters in a charcoal black, but try as I might I could not decipher them. They looked to be in the same language as the writing I had previously seen under the pictures in the hallway. The hilt was also most unusual; though black as the night sky, it also held many other colors, making it almost look a dark rainbow. It had an ebony dragon on each side where the blade and hilt met, the eyes of the two a rich glowing gold. Each dragon had a crimson colored ruby set into the center of their enchanting eyes.

         Curious, for I had great interest in swords and blades of any kind, I entered the pond, the cool gentle water enveloping me, soaking my clothes as I slowly made my way over to the fascinating sword. Gently, yet hesitantly, I ran my hand over the blade, feeling the hard, sharp steel, the strength of the finely made object. As my hand made its way up to the hilt, I traced the strange letters carved deep into the blade. Slowly, I made my way onto the ebony, golden-ruby eyed dragons, caressing their sleek, well proportioned bodies. Moving upward to the end of the hilt, I noticed what looked to be some sort of symbol. I tried to get a closer look at it, but just then I heard the sound of splashing, and immediately knew it was him again, Ketsueki.

         "Why, hello again, my dear. Fancy meeting you here," he said with a wide grin, his bright green gaze set on my face.

         Even if this wasn't a dream I was really beginning to wish he'd leave me in peace, that grin on his face was starting to make me want to smack him.

         "Hmm... You can see it, can you? And touch it too, it seems. You must fit in the plot somewhere, yes? Now, let me think; the possibility of you being the Chosen is zero to none, so you're most likely the Carrier, or perhaps you have an even minor role," Ketsueki reasoned to himself, his beautiful face lost in thought.

         This dream is getting weirder and weirder, I thought, cringing at Ketsueki's words. What was with this guy? Did he always talk to himself aloud like this, or was this just some kind of special occasion for him? Whatever his problem was, I now realized this was most likely not a dream. Everything seemed much too real for it to be some nighttime fantasy. But how had I gotten to this place? That one little question I wanted answered.

         "Um, I don't know what the heck you're talking about, but I really wish you'd stop acting like I'm not here. And while you're at it, could you tell me a bit about how I got here, and exactly where I am?" I questioned, hesitantly. "Oh, and if you know how I can get back to my home, could you tell me that too...?" I trailed off, looking up into his handsome face. Deciding to be a bit formal, I added on, "Look, Mr... uh.. what was your last name?"

         He stared at me, surprised. "Mister? Who are you calling 'Mister', eh?" He chuckled, peering at me through his bangs which had now fallen across his beautiful face. "Haven't heard that one in centuries. And what do you mean by 'where am I'? You're here, that's where," he said smugly, flipping his long red hair back in mock disdain.

         I glared at him, he was just being difficult for the fun of it! Starting to become greatly irritated I continued, "Grr... you're just being petty... You haven't even answered my question, and you know it!" Studying him, I then added, "I'm pretty sure you're only about twenty, so why do you say centuries? Sheesh, you're a real nut case, you know that?" I pouted, looking away when I noticed his startled expression.

         Shocked, the man ran a hand through his silky hair, staring at me for a few seconds. Suddenly, he began laughing so hard that tears came to his eyes. "Oh my, you are an amusing one, are you not? 'Nut case' she calls me? How delightful! Some have called me that, but few who did yet live. I, my dear, am over one thousand years old, so I can answer your questions any way I please," he said, the light in his green eyes dancing in amusement, his mouth tilted in a sort of awkward smile.

         I stared at him, unbelieving, "Yeah right, and I'm George Washington's wife. Look here, I want to go home, and I mean right now! If you don't answer my questions, I'll- I'll..." I trailed off with a blush, unsure of what I had been about to say.

         "You'll what? Talk me to death?" Ketsueki laughed, mocking me. "No one. Threatens. Me." A dark scowl appeared on his face, turning it into a frightening mask of emotions, "What are you thinking, little girl, to threaten one such as myself? Either you're one of the bravest or stupidest human beings on Rencarou. No wonder your species is dying out." He studied my expression, "Who is this George Washington you speak of? Your lover?" he spat out the last word with his eyebrows raised, a look of distaste on his elegant face.

         "Oh... my... God... is that where I am... a country called Rencarou? Where the heck is that?!" I asked, more confused than ever. What the heck had I gotten myself into? This person must be some sort of raving lunatic, there was no other logical explanation for it. "You don't know who George Washington is? How can someone not know, what planet are you from, Pluto? Oh wait Rencarou, right? Now I think you're even more of a nut than ever."

         Ketsueki looked at my face intently, then his eyes widened in understanding. "You really aren't from around here, are you? Either that or you've lost your memory somehow... Well then, seeing as you don't know the legend of this world, and you're possibly a newcomer, I'll tell it to you, free of charge of course, but remember, I'm only doing this to amuse myself." He grinned, flashing long white teeth at me.

         "Long ago, in the beginning of the universe, the gods would meddle in the lives of the land dwellers, helping them fight their wars, taking sides on certain issues, even deciding whom would live and whom would die. Anyway, when the gods went to their Paradise, they were sealed up, or so it is rumored. Some say God, the ruler of all the other gods and goddesses, did not wish for the others to interfere in the Rencarouiens business, and wished to give the land dwellers free will. Thus, He closed the gate to the mortal world. But little did God know that there would be trouble from the demon world, Fukushu, ruled by Lucifer himself, the outcast of Paradise. Lucifer began his campaign to rule the mortal world, and once he had finally taken it over, he would next move onto conquering Paradise. As Lucifer approached his goal, seven gods and goddesses broke the seal with their power, intent on helping the land dwellers. They exited Paradise against God's wishes, causing them to be exiled to Rencarou for eternity. For centuries they have each bestowed a special weapon with unique powers to one person of their choosing, to carry the fate of the mortals."

         "With those weapons seven warriors set out toward the battle with Lucifer, and won, but Lucifer still escaped his death. He is said to be deep within the demon world, biding his time until he can once again set out to rule both the mortal and immortal worlds to reap his vengence. Now, having told you this historic legend I must warn you, some of it is quite untrue, and much about it is as of yet still unknown..."

         "This sword is Kiera's sword," Ketsueki commented, nodding toward the sword floating just above the ponds surface. "Kiera is the goddess of protection and light. The warrior, Ishivan, was its first wielder, and it has yet to choose its second." He ran a long, elegant finger down its hilt, a thoughtful look upon his face. He tilted his head to one side, causing his hair to fall in front of him as he continued to study my face.

         "Umm...Okay, thanks for the info and all, but what does this have to do with me?" I asked, feeling more confused than I had previously. He'd lost me at the beginning of his explanation.

         "Well, I don't know quite yet, but I'm positive you have something to do with this sword, else you would not be here, yes?" Ketsueki said cheerfully, swiftly pulling a dagger from his leather belt. "And since you must have something to do with it, I'm afraid I have to dispose of you, else all I have done will be for naught." All of this was said with a smile, but then he frowned at my expression of fright. "I feel remorse for having to kill you, you are indeed a very amusing little girl, but I must. Anyone having to do with this sword must die. I will not allow the next Chosen to be found!" He lunged at me; he was fast, yet it seemed he was holding back for some reason. Dodging the sharp blade, I noticed words glinting along it's length.

         While Ketsueki hesitated--somewhat surprised that I'd dodged the blade--I inspected the dagger as best I could from my position. It had three blood red rubies in the form of a triangle along its leather clad hilt. Adorning the blade was what looked to be two sapphires, each with a ring of pure red around them. Studying the blade more intently, I could make out the words inscribed. I slowly read them aloud, "Blood shall smite My enemies... and I His...?"

         I wonder what that means? Maybe there was a hidden message in the words? Then again, it could be just some stupid mumbo jumbo.

         Ketsueki stared at me, a look of complete amazement blossoming on his elegant face. "You can read it? B-b-but that's impossible! You shouldn't be able to read it... not unless..." He ran a finger along his lip, his face a strange expression. "You must be the-! But how could you? You're nothing but a frail little girl... no one worthy of Kiera's notice..." His cat-colored eyes glazed over slightly, deep in thought.

         I glared at him angrily, offended, "Um, excuse me, but I'll have you know I'm not that weak!" I stomped my foot in the water, gritting my teeth as he turned his emerald gaze back onto me.

         Eyes narrowed, he gripped his dagger about the blade, drawing blood, "There is only one person who should be able to read this and that is Kiera's Chosen, for this is her brother, Oiera's, dagger... so it must be you. Why she picked a child like you I'll never know..." Letting go of the dagger, he brought his hand to his lips, gently licking the trail of crimson seeping from the self-inflicted wound.

         "Uh, yeah sure, got'cha, now. About the Blood thing, what does that mean?" I asked, staring in fascination as he lapped at the blood from his on wound, wondering what the heck he was talking about, and still a mite insulted at him having called me a 'frail little girl'.

         His handsome face now wore a cynical expression, his red lips curling upward. "Why, that is my name, Ketsueki. I told you you'd come to care about the meaning of it soon." Ketsueki's eyes flashed gold as he sliced downward with the now bloody blade, straight towards my heart. Somehow I was able to dodge once again, but I didn't quite make it all the way to safety. My left arm was sliced down the middle, just barely, causing blood to flow down its length. The blood dripped into the water, turning it a muddy red.

         I cried out in agony, my arm feeling as if it were afire with pain. My right hand grasped the hilt of the sword Ketsueki had said was Kiera's. Survival was now the main thought running through my hazy mind. Ketsueki shifted his weight to the left, then swept his dagger quickly toward my neck, the blade a blur whizzing through the crisp air. Desperately, not knowing how to fight, I did the only thing I could do. I screamed in terror. Everything stopped. I stared in astonishment as Ketsueki tried to move, but in vain. His anger and confusion was now apparent in his mesmerizing eyes. Slowly he muttered with quiet anger, "What in the seven hells... is happening?"

         Just as Ketsueki said this, a boy came out from behind some of the thorny rose bushes just to the left of us. The boys eyes were fixed intently on Ketsueki as he mouthed unheard words.

         Ketsueki clenched his fists tightly, his face filled with a terrifying rage. "You! The Protector I presume... How dare you come here! I'll rip your limbs from your filthy human body when I get my hands on you, how dare you interfere!"

         The boy, paying no heed to Ketsueki, walked over to me, lifting me into his arms. I heard one last sentence, dripping with hate and anguish, before I began to black out, "I will find you... and when I do, your life is mine..."

*~.~*

         Ketsueki stared off into the distance as the wretched boy vanished with the Chosen One. How had he allowed her to get away? Her life had been within his grasp, her death immanent, but then... then that idiot of a boy showed up and ruined everything. Nonetheless, it may still work out... he looked into the shadows with a thoughtful expression.

         "Finder of Weakness."

         "Yes, my Lord?" came a masculine voice from the shadows.

         "Find her... and when you do, bring her to me. I think I may be able to use her in my future plans..." Ketsueki smirked. "Oh, wait... I have a better idea... Uragiru?"

         "Sire?"

         Ketsueki mumbled something into the shadows, and in return a chuckle emitted from the darkness, "It will be done, my Lord..."

End of Chapter One of ~The Sword of the Goddesses Chosen~
© Copyright 2005 Neko ♥ Away (ketsuekineko at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1048912-Ch1-The-Dream-of-Reality