*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1091577-Introducing-Edan
by Shylah
Rated: E · Short Story · Family · #1091577
Short story from previous draft.
Being very close to winter, the day was bleak and windy; keeping most people inside, but that morning, it wasn’t Kelli’s plan to stay home. In one corner of her room, her newborn son lay sleeping in his crib. Bustling around the room, she hummed a tune to herself as she packed. It would be their first outing since arriving home from the hospital a week ago. As a new mother, she wasn’t quite sure what to leave behind, so she took enough of everything, just in case.
‘Edan, we’re going to see your Daddy at last. He was so excited to hear about you.’ Ceasing humming, Kelli began in a light conversational tone, even though her baby was dozing. She recalled her mother’s protests at the plan. But in contrast to their discussion, since having made the decision, she felt at peace. Laying out some warm clothes to dress him in, she selected the thickest blanket, placing it at the end of the row. The last conversation she had with Stephan, she’d promised that Edan would come to know him. It was time to start keeping that vow. Next month it would be two years since their wedding day.

Preparations over, Kelli turned towards the crib. For all her assurance, she faltered in reaching down to lift Edan up. But taking a deep breath, her hands closed around him as an instinctive smile came to her face when his eyes flickered open. Placing him on her bed, she began dressing him. Laughing as she found the outer clothing layer harder to get on. With all that had happened; she’d never regretted having him. Finally she wrapped the blanket snugly around him and lowered Edan into the car seat. Slipping the carry bag over her shoulder, Kelli picked the car seat, holding it in front as she walked outside. Even in that short time, he fell asleep again.

Once placing Edan inside and sliding into the car, Kelli leaned forward, chin resting on the wheel as her eyes misted over. Determined not to cry in front of Edan, she took a deep breath, one hand brushing the tears away abruptly.
‘Right, it’s just a short drive.’ Glancing at him fastened into the seat beside her, Kelli started the car without delay.

All too soon, they’d arrived. Parking along the curb, Kelli ignored the option of taking the pram and lifted Edan directly into her arms. It wasn’t far to walk from there. Pushing open the gate, she paused for a minute to take a deep calming breath before turning right on the path. A small building stood in the distance.

Finally, she’d reached the spot. ‘Well, Edan here we are. I promised I’d bring you as soon as I could.’ The smile stiffened on her face as she settled down on the fresh new grass, her shoulder rested against the headstone as she turned Edan’s face towards the engraving, hunching over to protect him from the wind. ‘Meet your Daddy, Stephan.’ Her voice faltered. ‘He tried very hard to be here to see you.’
© Copyright 2006 Shylah (shylah at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1091577-Introducing-Edan