*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1119694-The-Scent-of-Jasmine
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Other · #1119694
The smell of Jasmine reminds me of love lost and betrayed.
The Scent of Jasmine

I smell Jasmine.

She always loved wearing Jasmine. Whether it was her favorite perfume or her favorite flower. Anything to do with Jasmine would make her happy. My sweet Cathy.

We were together for 5 years. We met at work. I was a loan officer at the bank at the time. She came in for a loan. It was love at first sight. We waited a month after her loan before we went out. From that point on it has been a whirlwind. We were constantly together. We even moved in together after the first year.

Everything was great until that day. It was six months ago. I was so excited. I finally got the promotion to Regional Manager. I came home early that day. I was surprised to see her car at home. She usually works through lunch at the hospital.

I walked into the house and dropped my keys on the table by the door as usual. I hear something coming from the bedroom. All I kept thinking was Cathy is going to be so excited about my promotion! We can finally get married! We had been waiting for so long. We wanted to wait until we knew we would have enough in the bank as far as savings.

The bedroom door was open and so I walked in without thinking. What I saw caused me to immediately turn around and leave the room. My mind kept racing. Did she see me? Who is that man? Why is this happening to me? My precious Cathy with another man? This vile man was on top of my precious Cathy. I was sweating even though it was so hot in the house.

I left the house and just drove around. The more I drove, the angrier I got. How can this be happening? I drove back to the house to confront her. I wondered how she would react to my confrontation? Would she beg me to forgive her? When she be angry or cry?

I wasn’t prepared for what she did. She broke down and said she was in love. That she and Ben were in love and were going to run away together. I lost it. How could this Ben compare to me? We were meant to be. I was so angry that I didn’t realize that I picked up my 9 iron. Ironically it was a gift from her last year. She finally told me that she and Ben had been together for the past 18 months! I don’t remember what happened next. I just remember waking up an hour later and she was dead. I bashed her head in. I looked down at what was left of my precious Cathy.

I cleaned up the mess and disposed of her body. It was easy. I was renovating the basement and just buried her under the basement. I thought I would be the primary suspect. But no. No one believed that I was capable of killing Cathy. She became another missing person.

My punishment for this crime? Jail time-no. Shunned by my community-no. My punishment? Jasmine. The house always smells of Jasmine. No matter how clean my house gets, the smell of Jasmine remains.
© Copyright 2006 starr4all (starr4all at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1119694-The-Scent-of-Jasmine