*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1124429-The-Years-of-Greatness
by Ed.
Rated: E · Other · Fantasy · #1124429
Peace and prosperity... it can't last.
Please read "The Civil War and "The Fourspot Invasion first to get the most from this. Thank you.

Ed.


Royal Records:

Section: The recent history of the Vreezpot Empire

Sub-section: The Years of Greatness

Written by: ACER


After the events of the Invasion, our land settled down, and began to work together again. The people accepted that a new government would have to be introduced as the next in line was of a different group, one that would crush the Empire (consult ‘The recent history of the Vreezpot Empire: The Fourspot Invasion’). So, a government of democratic rule was set up, under the Lord Barons/Baronesses who had fought against the Fourspots. Kyan Vrezpor, the aforementioned descendant of the founder of our Empire, was placed in charge, having led the army well and also being the chief advisor of the King before he died. Emalia Remoh, who had taken over Chicodon after her father’s death, and now saw that the only viable course of action would be this, supported him.

There were others within the government, but they fell to the wayside, as none would dare oppose Kyan’s decisions, backed up by Emalia as he was. The people liked this system, as it continued what had been a long held tradition: the monarchy. As long as there was a Vrezpor, there would be a leader of the government, and as long as there was a Remoh, they would be supported. Such was the time of prosperity. Kyan passed many new laws to help the economy rebuild itself. Tax was reduced between 2065 and 2071 to a level required only to keep the fundamental additions to the Empire running. The other Barons and Baronesses grumbled over this, but were powerless to prevent it happening, lest they were prepared to face the Chicodon regiment of the Imperial Army, now known as the Alpha Battalion. It was obvious that none were prepared to risk this. However, in the background, much was happening. The other Barons and Baronesses were planning a way to overthrow this system, with the murder of Kyan Vrezpor.

Still, it was many years until that happened. From 2065 the economy gathered itself together, and by 69 it was stronger than ever before. Money was flowing from all around, what with trade agreements with both the Coconuts and the Kokiri, and a lack of pressure from other markets. Of course, taxes came back within two years of this occurrence, but the people did not mind, for they were living better than before, and the taxes were not as high as they used to be. The money that was taken was used to provide entertainment and services for the people, indeed only about 5% went into the pockets of the Barons and Baronesses (much to their displeasure!). Indeed, among higher powers, only Kyan and Emalia were happy. In that time, both had been married (by which I mean to different people, not together), Emalia keeping her old name. Soon they had had children, and the lines of both could continue. Emalia named her son Emral, and her daughter Saphira, while Kyan’s children were Terenia and Daracort.

So the Empire continued, growing stronger every day, and our lives were as good as they ever would be. However, time was running out for Kyan, and Emalia to a lesser extent. The other Barons and Baronesses had found an assassin and were now waiting for the perfect time to strike and overthrow this ‘government of deprivation’ (as they so put it). There hatred of Kyan grew with every passing day, much like the strength of the economy, until the final moment.
© Copyright 2006 Ed. (ervanremoh at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1124429-The-Years-of-Greatness