*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1124675-The-Down-Trodden-Path
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Fantasy · #1124675
A girl meets an interestin friend at a fast food joint.
I frowned pulling out the photo from within the depths of the cardboard box. The photo had one edge torn and a couple faded spots. A black rose, the mystical rare flower that connects itself wholly with the dark world. Born near the end of the renaissance the flower was treasure for collectors and gardeners.
The symbol in the modern day myth for the world unseen. Most of us go on with our daily lives with only a passing thought to the night. Things happen in that darkness, creep in that darkness, things most of the populace dream about in their nightmares. I am one of the few that knows the secret.
I met him in a restaurant in town, he had blonde hair that was carelessly pulled back in a short ponytail, if it was down it couldn’t have done more than cover the back of his neck and maybe his ears. His bangs fell off to the side of his face. He wore black jeans and some t-shirt with his jacket unbuttoned the buttons were gray silver like metal. I also noticed that he was wearing sunglasses inside. I didn’t think much of him, other than he wasn’t from around here. Well… not until he looked straight at me!
I averted my eyes, looking at the table next to the stool sitting area that I was at. He sat next to me leaving a seat between us, even more unusual I noticed that he hadn’t seem to have bought anything other than what looked to be a glass of tea or something. Which with the way he was dressed it didn’t seem to fit. Just as I was staring at my own soda in front of me, thinking about how slender he seemed to be, I felt eyes on me.
I glanced over at him, he was staring at me… My next thoughts included that maybe he was weird or a thief or something. Before I could really get into drawing conclusions, he spoke up.
“Looks like I’m not the only one who decided on some alone time,” his voice was calm and on low volume, it wasn’t like he was whispering or anything. It had an edge to it, a light harshness though I could tell he was trying to be nice. Nervous, I shrugged putting the wrapper from my burger in the trash next to the table.
He tried starting conversation again, “you like Ann Rice?” I looked at him surprised. How did he… how did he know that I loved her books. It was obvious he noticed me staring at him as if he were some psychic, he pointed to my shirt. That read: come out, come out wherever you are... I blushed, the shirt was from queen of the damned.
"Uh, yeah" I stared at the table feeling like an absolute idiot.
He sat staring ahead lost in his own thoughts, chin in his hand with his elbow resting on the table. I watched him wanting to keep the conversation going, but couldn’t think of anything to say. I didn’t want to sound like an idiot!
He took another sip of his drink and sitting up, “So you read vampire novels? What do you think of them?”
Startled I looked up at him, “Think of what?”
He gave me a subtle look that he thought the answer to his question was obvious, “vampires….,” he looked at the table.
“I think…,” I had to think about this one for a moment and I realized how odd the question really was. “I think that they are creatures to be respected and… well feared to a certain extent,” I decided to humor him. His face broke into a smile and he started to chuckle, holding back his full laugh. I frowned, thinking of how stupid I must have sounded… I had been talking as if they really existed!
He took a relaxing breath, “oh really?” I was angry now, this guy was getting on my nerves he was mocking me and I could see it!
“You asked,” I retorted in a cooler tone than I would have thought possible only a few minutes earlier, I shrugged.
“I did,” he replied giving me this holier than thou look that made me want to fume and leave. His expression turned serious, “I meant no harm by it, I just thought your answer was the most practical one I’ve ever heard.”
Then the most stupid thought in the history of my life came to my mind, “maybe he’s a writer…” I should have punched myself in the mouth for the next part. “You write?” I look back on it now smacking my palm to my forehead.
He was genuinely startled, a small hint of pink flushed across his nose and cheeks, “no, not really…”
I was interested now, “I bet about vampires and stuff, right?” I leaned across the table knees on the stool looking into his sunglasses. I mean if he had been an author how cool would that have been?
I could feel some hostile feelings radiating off of him though I couldn’t see his eyes, all at once frightened I sat back in my seat.
He took another sip of his drink, “I’m not an author, if that’s what you mean,” he without a doubt used his voice’s harsh tone as you would have thought it to be used.
“Sorry,” I apologized, my voice sarcastic because I was angry.
He was silent a moment as if he actually regretted snapping at me and to my surprise, “My name is Crispin,” I stared at him blinking.
“Uh…. I’m Alexis,” I brushed my hair behind my ear, not understanding why I gave him my name. I stared at his glass hoping that he would say something, for I couldn’t think of anything myself.
He left his glass on the table and stood up. Crispin looked over his shoulder at me, "This place is boring, want to go someplace more interesting?" He smirked, walking towards the exit.
Curious, I followed. Hey don't patronize me! What would you do in my spot? Would you let this utterly mysterious and...well good looking guy out of your sight? Above all since he was one of the few guys who showed the slightest interest in you... uh... as I was saying, I followed him.
He was stood on the sidewalk lighting up a cigarette. Just to let you know it lows my views of anybody when they pull out that cancer stick, it's to me just as bad as trying to commit suicide.
"You're going to need a breath mint there, ash tray boy, " it was a snide comment I know, but he deserved it.
He gazed over at me, "well Lexi, you shouldn't judge those higher on the food chain than you," I wanted to kick him. He started to walk down the street without me, he continued this little jog in silence.
"Where are we going?" I asked widening my stride to walk next to him.
Crispin threw the almost finish cigarette to the ground stomping on it, "persistent aren't you?"
"I asked you first!" I replied pointing at his chest to better emphasize my point.
"I have been watching you for a long time. What would you do if you were offered the chance to become a vampire?" He smiled at me pulling off those dark sunglasses and stepping into the shade of a small video store. His eyes were blood red and cat-like... like a vampire!
I gulped, thinking my whole situation over. My mind was in panic mode, sure vampires were cool to read about the adventure and the idea of living forever, yet from reading those books I know their agony, their loneliness and their curse.
My mouth felt dry, " I would say no..." I took off racing away from him. I only glanced back once.
I wanted to cry seeing the hurt in his face. He sighed, I noticed his enlarged canines showing.
I arrived safely home in my little apartment locking the door. I woke up the next morning thinking that I had dreamed it all and I continued to think so until one day two weeks later. I had received a package in the mail, a black rose.
The note attached read something like this:
"To a childer of an angel who had followed the path that should've been taken by all given the choice."
-Crispin
I took a picture to later prove this reality to myself that the darkness in all of us does exist within us and within our world. I look at it now and shed a tear for those who wander the lonely nights.
© Copyright 2006 Showren (showren at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1124675-The-Down-Trodden-Path