*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1131225-One-Sad-Night
Rated: 13+ · Other · Other · #1131225
A mother waiting for her daughter to come home
It was 2:13 in the morning. I was in my bedroom, hands clenched together, waiting for my daughter Hallie to come home from a party. I don't know how many times I have prayed for Hallie's safety. My husband wiped my tears off with his hand.

There was a knock at the door.

Excited for it to be Hallie, I got up and opened the door. My husband came after me. Standing at the door wasnt my daughter, but two policemen. I couldn't say anything.

"Ma'am, may we come in? We have some information about your daughter."

I nodded and went into the Living room to talk. The policemen smelled of coffee and doughnuts. They told me that Hallie died by a drunk driver. She swerved and hit a tree and her head smashed through the window.

I completely lost it. I held my husband and cried until I couldn't cry anymore. Before the policemen left, they gave me Hallie's necklace that I have given her when she was a child.

A month later...

Dear Hallie
It's been a month now since you passed away. I have been on Oprah to talk about my experience and I told students about drunk driving. I hate telling my story over and over but it's good for others to realize how drunk driving is bad. I am enclosing the necklace that I have given you.
I love you and I'll never forget you
Mom

I placed my letter and the necklace in a shoebox and buried it next to my daughter in the backyard. I kissed the ground and cried.
© Copyright 2006 BabyDoll (pinkparadise at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1131225-One-Sad-Night