*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1132386-Poetry-Publishing-The-Nitty-Gritty
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1132386
So you want your poetry in magazines? Here are some valuable tips to get you started.
         There are hundreds (if not thousands) of internet and print literary magazines out there. It can be a bit overwhelming at times, and especially overwhelming if you're just beginning to consider having your poetry published.

Here are some tips to get you started.


1. WORK YOUR CUTIE-TOOTIE OFF

         We want to see blood, sweat, and tears in that baby! I mean the poem(s). It is the absolute truth: the more you write, the better you write. That doesn't mean you should work at it day and night, and function like a zombified, never-goes-into-the-daylight writer. The only thing you'll end up with are bags under the eyes and a nasty temper. Trust me, I know. When writing poetry, it shouldn't be a chore. If it ends up being a chore, where's the fun? Where's the love?

         You should relax but remain active. Get yourself into little writing exercises that aren't too rough on your brain. Maybe take up a contemporary haiku? Tanka? This will work your brain, yet allow you to not be overstimulated. Sometimes the best ideas come at the least expected moment--don't pressure the outpour, just let it escape naturally. Easier said than done, eh? We're all anxious to see good results, but as the adage goes: don't put the cart before the horse.


2. A MASTERPIECE IS BORN


         You're sitting there when all of a sudden WHAM, it hits you like a ton of proverbial bricks, and you lean over your desk and cry. Or maybe you get up and scream at the atrocity that just crawled out of your pen--it can happen. Be calm whatever you do, and for heaven's sake, don't cry over the paper.

         Relax. Chances are you're just in one of those moments I'd like to call "poem-lust". And as any lusted after object, it can turn old very quickly. So, put that thing away, will ya? Come back to it, say, one week from now. Maybe a month. Just let the poor thing sit. If you go back and still like it, then it was meant to be.

A valuable tip:

If you get stuck on a part you really like, but the rest of your poem is lackluster, take a sheet of paper and write the good parts of the poem on it. Later on, you can look at the words and see what can possibly fit into another poem--always recycle your good parts. You never know when you may need them, and it helps when you are stuck on a poem that is working but just needs that extra edge.


3. EDIT

         Once you have secured a poem you are proud of there are always ways to make it better. Think about every word you use in your poem. If it's a short poem, take special care. Make sure you have not one, but many eyes read your work before you send it out. If you can't find anyone who is able to read your work and offer suggestions/comments, read your work aloud. Sometimes you can spot flow problems this way, or if a word sounds funny. In addition to checking things like flow (how the poem sounds depending on punctuation placement, or meter in rhymed poems), you should always make sure every word is spelled correctly. Even the words you think you may know, check them anyway--it can't hurt. Sometimes spellcheck can only do so much, so be careful with words like: their, there, and they're, which will go undetected in spellcheck when used improperly.

Note: Don't be fooled by the title job of a magazine "editor". Being an editor does not mean "editing" works that are submitted, or working with the poet to revise and make perfect. That's not the role of the editor; that is your role. However, sometimes an editor will like a piece so much he/she will want to add it to the magazine but may request a word (or lines) to be dropped from the poem, or reworded. It can happen, but rarely does. So, I would suggest going that exra mile.

Now you're ready to send that baby out into the big, mean world. Here are some tips:

-----------------------------------------------------------

1. SHOP AROUND


         One easy way to find poetry magazines is to Google search with a combination of these keywords:

Poetry Magazines, Poetry Publishers, Small Presses, Literary Magazines, Poetry Magazine Directory.

Pick words you know will zero-in on the specifics. If you try to Google search with "Poetry", you may not be able to locate publications or magazines, but rather teachings and studies of the craft.

To make it easier I have added a couple links to magazine directories.

http://www.fglaysher.com/LitLinks.htm

http://www.newpages.com/npguides/litmags_online.htm

http://www.selbyslist.com/

http://newark.rutgers.edu/~lcrew/pbonline.html


2. RESEARCH

         This is the most important tip of all. Do your research. One of the reasons why an editor will refuse your work is if it does not fit the style of the magazine. One way to determine if your poem is right for a certain magazine, check their archived material and check it thoroughly. Go through not one piece of writing, but several. It is also good to check out the magazine's "Mission Statement" (if provided) or "About" information. If you like what you are reading, and feel comfortable that your poem will fit with their vision, read the Submission Guidelines.

3. DON'T WING-IT

         This goes with poetry, but it can also apply to the research and submission of your poem (s).

         Now, when you have honed in on a magazine, make sure to adhere to all of the submission guidelines. They are there for a reason. Think of it this way: say they ask you to place your poem in the body of the e-mail, and you place it in an attachment and send it, how does that make you look? When the editor sees your poems are in an attachment when he/she specifically asked for a cut-and-paste in e-mail, well, that doesn't help your chances, and it makes it look like you didn't bother reading the guidelines. The editor will do what many editors do: they will throw your work away without even looking at it.

         Editors are a picky sort. They think by process of elimination. If you are sending to a popular magazine, the editors are (nine times out of ten) swamped with poems they have to read and make a decision on. There is only room for so many poems, so you do the math--they're out to find ANY way to reject your work. Sounds unfair, maybe, but it's all part of the process in deciding what goes into a magazine.

Note: Sometimes editors look down on simultaneous submissions (ie. when you submit the same poem(s) to various magazines at the same time). One thing you may want to consider is where you place your poems on the web. If they're in a personal blog, it may effect the process because your poem(s) have been read by many people. Some editors don't care, or do not consider electronic publication legit. If you are unsure about editor's preferences, you can do one of two things:

1. An e-mail query.

It never hurts to ask about the submission guidelines before you submit your work.

2. If you feel posting your poems may ruin the chance of your work being accepted, don't post. And if you do post, don't go crazy and post your poems everywhere.

The editor will usually run a check on your name, and if he/she sees a poem you posted in nine different places, he/she will lose interest in publishing it.


4. NETWORK YOURSELF

          I must explain, I do not like this term, but it is the only way to describe what one may want to do in addition to looking for magazines to submit work to.

If you are truly serious about your work, consider showing others how much you care by participating in community poetry groups, lectures, and open mics. If you are an introvert, try internet groups. Inquire about small (non-profit) editing jobs, or consider even throwing together your own internet collective, working with various poets. You may ask why. The answer is simple:

A) If you have no previous publications, and the editor demands (yeah, they can be demanding at times--just kidding!) a bio or publication credits, you will have something to fall back on. Editors are most importantly interested in the works themselves, but it never hurts to build yourself up as a person seriously committed to your work. Think of it as scoring brownie points. The editor may take an interest and call you up for future collaborations--you never know!

B) It doesn't hurt to take a genuine interest in others' work. By grouping together with other talented poets you could only improve yourself.


5. EXPECT REJECTION--STRIVE FOR ACCEPTANCE

         Don't expect too much after you send that beautiful, sparkling work of art. The chances are:

A) You will get an e-mail back (in no less than an eternity of waiting by the computer) and it will be a rejection.

         Rejections are good. They force you to step outside yourself and critically look your work over a second time. 99.99% of magazines do not give reasons why the work has been rejected, so it's up to you to guess why.

         Maybe you didn't research enough, and as a result you sent the wrong kind of poem--don't sweat it. Rejections happen to everyone, and it is not a direct attack on how you write or what you choose to write about. But then there's also a flip side. You must learn from your mistakes (and try to hone in on those nonexistent psychic abilities). Move on if need be, but don't get caught up in the idea that you're a bad writer. Once you do this there is no hope. Nothing is more detrimental than a low sense of one's capabilities. If someone throws you a rejection letter, work harder. Let them know you're not going down after one swing. It's a tough love, but it's worth it if you want to be recognized for your talents.

B) You will get nothing back

         Sometimes editors don't want to be bothered with crap. That's the hard truth. They don't even want to be bothered typing a one sentence rejection slip. There's also the possibility they lost the submission (into the third dimension, perhaps?). So, go back to their magazine, check the guidelines, and if they are okay with submission inquires, then it's okay to e-mail them with a follow-up to check on the status of your submission.

         Another problem may occur. Since there are thousands of literary mags out there, there is a possibility the magazine you have submitted your work to is no longer functional. Always check to make sure the magazine you are submitting to has updated material. If you see the last issue was in 1999, chances are it's a dead one.

C) You get accepted

         You can clap now, demand a congratulations dinner from your hubby (I always do!), pop out the bubbly and get to celebrating. All of your hard work has paid off--even if you don't get a dime for it. It's not the point, is it?--you are published now; hold your head up high...but beware! Not too high. There is still more work to be done, and one thing not to be after the first publication is overzealous. It's easy to lose focus on why you started writing "professionally" in the first place--just keep it real, and the rest will come naturally.







© Copyright 2006 Pollockian Kamikaze (validiumx at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1132386-Poetry-Publishing-The-Nitty-Gritty