*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1138932-SILVER-THREADS-AND-GOLDEN-MEMORIES
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Contest · #1138932
Written for Passionate Lady's "Special Days of the Month" Contest

SILVER THREADS AND GOLDEN MEMORIES


Her frail hands trembled as she picked up the handful of letters, tied together with a blue ribbon. They were all she had left of him, golden memories of a time when their love was new, when they were so very young.

She smiled as she sat back in her chair, and held them close to her heart, not needing to open them and read again his tender words. The silver threads of hair fell loosely around her face, and she reached up to brush them back. She closed her eyes, seeing his face again.

"Edith" he whispered, as he guided her out into the garden, "you know how very much I love you", he paused, "and I know how much you love me.."

The moon shone softly down on the two young lovers. It was a perfect night, the first of many perfect nights and perfect days. He had placed a ring on her finger that night, vowing his devotion.

They were married soon after. Jack was a farmer, born to the land and loving his life. He had no desire to travel, only to make a living from the land. She became a farmer's wife, working alongside him and bearing a baby boy just a year later.

There were rumors of war in Europe. It seemed far away and they didn't think about it until Jack got his draft notice. His face went white as he read it, and then handed it to her. As she read it, the tears started, and he held her close. It was unthinkable that he had to leave.

They grew closer as the time came nearer for him to go. There were walks in the moonlight, time spent watching the stars, and holding each other close. He brought her wildflowers, and spoke to her of their lasting love. "It is not just for the time we have had together", he said, "but for all the time we will have together once I return." His letters came regularly, always full of love.

It was a cold winter's day when the telegram arrived. Jack had been killed in action, somewhere in Germany. Edith cried herself to sleep that night. Their little boy would be her only comfort now, she thought.

Yet as the nights went by, she dreamed of Jack. It had all seemed so real, he was there beside her again, whispering of his love for her, urging her to be strong. The years passed, and he never failed to come to her at night. She could feel his touch, his warm breath on her cheek. Somehow he had kept his promise to return.

The nurse came into the room, and smiled as she noticed that Edith was sleeping, then realizing that she had passed away. The letters had fallen from her hand, as she reached out to Jack, standing beside her chair.

Together they walk in the moonlight, through eternity.

Countrymom
8/1/06

499 words - prompt: Romance Awareness Month
© Copyright 2006 COUNTRYMOM-JUST REMEMBER ME (countrymom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1138932-SILVER-THREADS-AND-GOLDEN-MEMORIES