*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1165121-Mans-Greatest-Enemy
Rated: E · Essay · Spiritual · #1165121
Even when he is striving to do good, by kind deeds, ....
The greatest of all man’s enemies is his own ego to which we bear witness in the form of man’s selfishness. Even when he is striving to do good, by kind deeds, selfishness is more often than not the underlying motivator. Man will do good so that one day he may be repaid in kind, even if by some inexplicable miracle and, thus, his investment will be returned to him. In this fasion his precious pearls are all priced. A good deed, an act of kindness is too valuable to barter with. When giving we must learn to shut our eyes. Every generous act, no matter how great or small and seeingly inconsequential, we must perform whole heartedly, unreservedly, with no regret and with no desire for any form of payment or recognition. To do so would make the kind act a mere trade off. Satisfaction must start and end with the perfomance of the deed of kindness and generosity for their own sake and nothing more. We must remember that every kind act that we do for man or beast, in actual fact, is an offering to God and God cannot be fooled by our ulterior motives. When we realize that matter is nothing we begin to find true happiness. All forms of substance will disintigrate but the part of us that is God given will continue for all eternity.



© Copyright 2006 Nawab Cowdry (andy1234 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1165121-Mans-Greatest-Enemy