*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1182206-Death-by-Denomination
Rated: E · Other · Religious · #1182206
Concerning the TRUE church, and the division of the Body of Christ into denominations.
In the book of Philippians 3:2 Paul writes, "Beware of dogs, beware of evil workers, beware of the concision." Now the word concision here is usually taken as a reference to no more than those Jews at the time who were pressing the Gentile converts to be circumcised, as this is the general gist of the opening of the chapter.
Closer examination and reflection however will reveal the deeper underlying message in this statement. The archaic definition of the word Concise is "cut off," or "cut apart." This can easily be mistaken as a reference to circumcision alone at first glance, as circumcision is a "cutting off" so to say; but this is only the surface meaning. The deeper message here, in accordance with the message of unity is, "Beware of clicks and schisms from within! (dare I say denominations?)" Why? Because the proper usage of the word "cutting" in the context used here is a reference to a part being cut off from a main body. The TRUE church is the Body, as taught in 1 Corinthians 12:12. All things within the body are supposed to work together toward the One and same goal. All I have said thus far is supported by 1 Corinthians 12:25, "That there should be no schism in the body: but that the members should have the same care one for another."
When we view the church as a "body," we could very well compare each of us to "cells." Cells in groups make up tissue, tissue in groups make up organs, organs in groups make up systems. To be healthy, a body needs all systems to work properly, efficiently, and in accordance with one another in working toward and achieving the One and same goal. This cannot be achieved when there is schism, or division within the cells and members. This is cancer!
Cancer is characterized by uncontrolled division of cells and the ability of these cells to invade other tissues, either by direct growth into adjacent tissue through invasion or by implantation into distant sites. Cancer is a rouge group of cells or tissues which separates ("segregates") itself and forms its own entity within the larger system of the body. In a sense, cancer has its own separate identity like a parasite that infests a host organism. Cancer uses the body's life-force, or energy to survive in much the same manner that the various denominations, and groups draw from and use the veil of Christianity to gain the heart and minds of those that fall victim to them. Like any parasite, cancer is a drain upon the resources of the host organism.
© Copyright 2006 Ominous (ominous at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1182206-Death-by-Denomination