*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1183217-The-Phenomenon
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Sci-fi · #1183217
Ahna receives a mysterious gift.
The Phenomenon

The box sat on the deck amid other boxes packed with supplies and gear. Unlike the others it was wrapped in bright holographic paper and sported a flashing tag that read Galaxy Gifts. Every so often a man’s voice broadcast in a husky baritone, “A gift for you, Ahna.” Ahna stared at it, puzzling. She couldn’t think of anyone who’d send her a gift. The last eight months on Sardis had been filled with work. She’d had no time to make friends, not that she ever really did. Her mother had passed away two years ago and she had no other family. Though she’d worked for the Company almost her entire adult life she’d never been close to any of the other employees.

Ahna lifted the other boxes and placed them on the transport pad. It took a few seconds to type in the baggage disclosure statement. After that there was nothing left to do except find her departure gate. She was looking forward to the six month ride to the next solar system. It would be a nice break before the next eight months of continuous work until the new store was open and thriving.

She cast a long look at the gift. It had to be a mistake, she told herself. Walk away, she thought. Still her feet refused to take a step. She stood another five minutes until, with an exasperated sigh, she walked over and swept up the box. Sliding her forefinger along its edges, she released the magnetic seal that kept the box closed. The lid sprang up and revealed a bracelet nestled in a cushion of bright red paper. Platinum, she decided, lifting the delicate links from the paper. Tiny gold beads spun in the center of each link. The links were made of thin wire twisted into intricate patterns. Underneath the bracelet was a handwritten note.

For Ahna,
I saw you in the square a week ago and was completely captivated. It took me a while to find out who you are. Please accept this token of my appreciation for lighting up my afternoon. Look for me where the sun sets and time stands still.


Ahna frowned. The riddle was the person’s way of being mysterious she supposed. She tried to remember who she might have met in the square. The open air and beautiful sculptures had drawn her in the first week of her arrival. Growing plants and sweet fragrances had kept her coming. She’d spoken to several people there but only in passing. Twenty minutes was the most she had to spare for an unproductive pursuit.

Her thoughts turned to the riddle. It didn’t take her long to think of the mural in the main corridor of the port. Each spaceport had one. They were all unique, painted on the spot. She’d noticed when she arrived that the mural in this port was only half finished. It depicted the square. The clock on the Museum’s tower was broken, freezing the picture in time as the sun set behind a large disjointed sculpture entitled Agony. The people had been sketched in but not painted.

Ahna retraced her steps to the main corridor. It took another brisk walk to bring her to the hub of the port. In the center of the hub on a kiosk across from the arrival and departure board was the mural. Large ropes kept traffic away from the artist, who was placing the last few brush strokes.

Ahna examined the painting. In the background was an artist sketching. In the foreground, a knot of people gazed up at a work entitled Joy. With a shock, Ahna recognized herself at the front of the group. The artist was touching up her image. While she watched, the bracelet she’d just received sprouted on her arm.

The artist had his back to her, but she knew him. He was the artist depicted in the background. He’d been in the square almost every day. She remembered smiling at him, but she was certain she’d never spoken.

He finished the bracelet, wiped the brush and spun around. “Well, Ahna, do you like it?”

“The mural or the bracelet?”

“Both of course,” he grinned. “Did I surprise you?”

“I love them, and yes, you surprised me.”

He stuck out his hand in an old-fashioned gesture. Ahna accepted it warmly. “I’m Arthur,” he told her. “And you are Ahna, the main director for Style Unlimited. What is your slogan? Fashion across the Galaxy?”

“That’s right. You know a lot about me, Arthur.”

“I did some investigating. Do you know your employees refer to you as a phenomenon of nature?”

“Do they,” she chuckled. Then she sobered. “All this is a wonderful gesture Arthur, but I’m leaving Sardis. There’s another store being built in the Shradrai system. I have to go there and get it set up.”

“Yes, I know,” he grinned. He turned away from her and placed his brushes in a case at his feet. “I convinced your board of directors they needed a custom, hand-painted mural for their new store. I’ll be traveling on the same transport as you are Ahna.” He cast a gauging look under his lashes. “That will be six months travel time and then at least another three to get the mural done. I think we can get to know each other by then.”

Ahna studied him a moment. She couldn’t remember anyone else who tried so hard to get her attention. He wasn’t really her type. Shorter than her by at least an inch with wavy brown hair, spotted pants, and a ripped shirt, he was definitely not interested in fashion. Still there was something compelling about him. “Sounds wonderful,” she heard herself say.

He grinned, picked up his case and stepped over the rope to her side. “Good, really good. It’s going to be a pleasure.” He stretched up and brushed her cheek with his lips.

The action surprised her, but she decided she liked it.




Word Count 999
© Copyright 2006 two of four (natb at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1183217-The-Phenomenon