*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1549221-Hippity-Hoppity
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Sci-fi · #1549221
Ahna and Arthur continue their journey together.
“Time to get up Ahna,” the computer said. Ahna rolled over, stretched, yawned, and finally sat up on the edge of the bed. Arthur was already up.

“What time is it?” she asked.

“Six a.m. standard Earth time. Fourth hour local time. Next sunrise in 5 measures,” the computer responded.

“Is there coffee?” Ahna hauled herself off the bed without waiting for the answer. Arthur would have made coffee, she was sure of it. Her progress in search of caffeine halted as she opened Hannah’s door and peeked in. The little girl was huddled under her covers, her hair splayed across the pillow, still deep in sleep. Satisfied, Ahna got herself to the kitchen and poured a cup of hot, strong brew.

After a couple of swallows, she felt alert enough to look for Arthur. He was in his studio, whistling as he tinkered with an old holographic projector. “What’s going on?” she asked. He glanced up with such a guilty look she guessed. “Arthur, I thought we agreed nothing special this year. Just peace and quiet.”

“I know,” he responded. “But it will be fun for her and I don’t mind the extra work.”

Ahna sighed. “I just think that if we’ve decided on something together we should stick to it.”

“Even if it’s the wrong decision?” he queried.

“Wrong for whom?”

“Hannah.”

“She won’t miss what she doesn’t know,” Ahna countered.

“Yes, she will. Our traditions center us, give us a direction, make our lives richer. She’ll instinctively know there could be more.”

“You’re so wrong. Your ideas are straight out of the stone age. I didn’t grow up with traditions and I never found anything lacking. Even the ones I’ve participated in with you haven’t magically changed my life and made it so much better.”

He froze with his back to her and she realized the deeper meaning of what she’d just said. “Really,” he answered. “Marriage to me hasn’t made a difference?”

Ahna was quiet as she searched for words. The ceremony so few engaged in these days had originally been a concession on her part to his need for a formal arrangement. Yet it had become a source of pride and comfort to her. It meant he didn’t take her lightly, that he tried to keep his promises and that he loved her. She felt a secret thrill every time he introduced her as his wife. She enjoyed the respect from friends and co-workers, who raised their eyebrows and said, “Wow, you’re brave. Marriage is so permanent, I couldn’t do it.”

“Fine,” she snapped, more angry with herself than with him. “What are we doing?”

“A visit from the Easter Bunny, of course.”

“Well, I hope you don’t expect me to hide treats before my second cup of coffee.”

He laughed and handed her a sheet of paper. “Don’t worry, it’s already done. I made a map to show where they’re hidden. That way you can help her if she forgets where to look.” He opened the back door of the studio that led into the tiny garden behind their modest living quarters. Ahna watched as he muscled the old projector into place. “Go wake her up and get her to the kitchen window. There’s a basket in the pantry for her.”

Ahna turned to follow his directions even as she realized that he’d never intended to give up his old ways. He’d just pacified her by agreeing not to do it this year. She should have felt angry, but she didn’t. She had a strange glow of anticipation as she gently stroked their daughter’s cheek. “Something’s in the back yard,” she whispered. “Come and see.”

Hannah was up instantly, darting ahead of her to the kitchen. They made it to the window in time to see a large, white, flop-eared rabbit peak around the studio door. It wore a harness and pulled a cart filled with decorated eggs and other treats. Another rabbit came behind, his ears up, swiveling back and forth catching every sound. Ahna looked at Hannah and put a finger to her lips. Hannah nodded, the gap in her front teeth prominently displayed.

The rabbits busied themselves traversing the space, concealing the items in various places. After placing the last one, both rabbits took a final look around and disappeared through the studio door.

“Let’s go get them,” Hannah shrieked, dancing around in her excitement. Ahna laughed and opened the pantry. The basket was there as promised. He would have looked a long time for it, since most stores didn’t carry that sort of thing anymore, but Ahna felt certain it hadn’t come from any store. The colors and shape boasted his artistic style. Clearly, he’d labored over it for quite some time. She lifted it down and handed it to Hannah, who didn’t spare it a second glance. Then it was out to the studio and through the door. “Daddy, Daddy, the Easter Bunny came!”

“What! I can’t believe it.”

“You missed it Daddy.” The next few minutes were spent in a flurry of activity, as the goodies were located and retrieved. A more sedate return to the kitchen and a long examination of the haul during breakfast followed.

Finally, they all curled up on the sofa in front of the telewall to see the educational minister address the citizens on the religious and secular significance of the holiday.

In the middle of the presentation, Ahna glanced at her husband and caught him studying her. I love you, he mouthed over the head of their daughter.

I love you too, she responded, glad he was her husband, glad he hadn’t stuck to their agreement. He was right, she decided, traditions had their place.

© Copyright 2009 two of four (natb at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1549221-Hippity-Hoppity