*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1207123-Over-One-Trillion-Served
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Satire · #1207123
A story of a possible future/500 word flash fiction contest entry
Over One Trillion Served


“If you choose to walk through that door, things are really going to change.” Mr. Jones intoned. “You’ll be beginning a new life, while at the same time ensuring the survival of mankind here on Earth.”

“Wow!” Tim thought, “I can hardly wait. I wish he would just get on with it!”

Looking first to the left and then to the right, Tim couldn’t begin to count how many there were, the line stretched far out of his line of vision in each direction. Men and women of all races lined up, ready to take on a new life and new challenges.

It wasn’t that long ago that his future looked pretty bleak. In fact, the future of the entire human race was in question.

Medical science had conquered every disease, old age no longer a barrier, the average life span was increased beyond 150 years. No one was ever sick, as long as there was the slightest neurological tick in a human body it could be completely rebuilt good or better than new. A baby born today could possibly live three centuries, birth control was mandatory until a person reached their first century.

War was completely abolished, every nation held the power of total world destruction. Technology was so advanced that even natural disasters held no fear as automatic barricades and early detection assured safety from even the worst kind of dangers. In short, mankind was doomed, doomed to live forever... almost. The only real problem, with such a population explosion there was no space left for agriculture.

So, the scientific community gathered together to explore the outer reaches of the universe. It took years, then decades, before news was broadcast of a new world discovery. They said it was almost an exact twin of Earth, with a breathable atmosphere, clear blue skies and pristine waters. Immediately there was a call for volunteers to begin colonization of the new planet.

Tim didn’t hesitate to volunteer, with no real aptitude other than his enormous size, he figured he had no future on Earth. The day he reported he could see he wasn’t alone in that predicament, the line up stretched forever in front of him and twice that behind. Surprisingly, once through that infernal line, there wasn’t much involved in the application, a quick physical and blood test and he was directed into another unbelievably long line, ending finally, here in this auditorium.

“Okay, ladies and gentlemen.” Mr. Jones barked. “Welcome to the MacDonald’s corporation. Shortly you will be broken up into groups and directed through those doors. Please remain orderly, stop the bellowing and jostling and follow single file behind your group leaders.”

In what seemed no time, after all the interminable waiting, Tim was approached by a man in a white coverall and handed a large bell-shaped disk.

“Congratulations son!” He beamed. “You are the group leader for this herd. Please lead your group under the golden arches and through the door to the holding area.”
© Copyright 2007 E E Coder (ecoder at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1207123-Over-One-Trillion-Served