*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1226364-Elemental-Portal
by Deany
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #1226364
A short story for one of the writers cramp competions (my first.)
Word count 605


Dr. Harry McTradus shook Minister Johnsons hand vigorously and walked up to the podium in front of all the Ministers of Alure. The sea of people in front of him didn’t dissuade him at all, the crowd merely refueled his determination and strength. Other than for Minister Johnson, it would be difficult to sway the vote to put funding towards science and away from magic.

From what Dr. McTradus had figured out, there was a possible way to open a portal, a path to the elemental plains. He had drawn out the plans and now was his opportunity to gain the funding that he needed to build a great machine that could help the entire country.

Backed by the entire scientific community, small as it may be, and the additional support of the Minister Johnson he cleared his throat and began to explain his plans to a very aggressive crowd. Wearing their gaudiest clothes the Counsels Wizards had arrived early to get the seats up front to heckle the scientist when he spoke.

“With this machine we could control the elements like the Wizards never could!” He called out over the crowd, a few of the Wizards pointedly stood up and stomped out with over-the-top acting. Dr. McTradus cleared his throat and shook his head. He took a sip of the water next to him as he waited for the people to leave. “We could use this as both a way to solve the hunger problem in our own country and force our enemies under us.”

“You’re implying that Alure is too weak to solve its problems without your science!” The Head Wizard shouts. A rumble like distant thunder rolled through the crowd.

“Not at all.” Dr. McTradus said hastily, “This could simply help the country with an already growing problem. We could struggle through the torment like every other country or we could have an abundance of everything and enslave our enemies.” Heads nodded in the crowd, the fickle Ministers seemed to agree but the scientist didn’t move the cold and uncaring Wizards.

The Head Wizard stood to his feet and seemed very passionate about what he was about to say as he turned around for the crowd to hear while still addressing the scientist. “Science, unlike magic, has been found to be extremely unstable! If we were to do this, the entire world could be destroyed. Ripped apart by the hurting elements who created the world we will find ourselves victim to the wrath of the elemental lords. If we follow this man we will doom everyone, from Alure to Zibwee!” He shouted.

Minister Johnson ran over to the podium and called for silence. “If you disrupt the counsel once again I will personally throw out every one of you.” The Minister told them. Smugly, the Head Wizard sat back down, he had done the damage he needed to do. “If I may Doctor?” Dr. McTradus nodded, “This science will mark a new era for everyone. If you fund this operation you will be the instigators of a grand future for Alure.” A smile creases across all the Ministers faces, the Wizards eyes grew wide with fear. Minister Johnson went back to stand behind the podium and Dr. McTradus took the stand again.

“What say you?” He called to the audience, scattered applause grows and the Wizards stalk out of the room to brood in their defeat and consider how to regain their favor in the counsel and sabotage the machine of Dr. McTradus so that it would cause damage to the elements that could shut down both science and the Doctor forever.
© Copyright 2007 Deany (deanyd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1226364-Elemental-Portal