*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1223308-To-Save-The-World
by Deany
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #1223308
Between Chapter 40 and 41, what Zak really did while the others slept
To save the World
Zak tries to save Alure

Zak threw a rock from his pocket; it hit the wall and fell to the floor. Silently he grabbed another and threw it in the other directing. Nothing. The only sound was the pebble falling to the floor and laying to rest beside Chris’ still body. Zak sat up and stretched, “You guys awake?” He asked quietly. There was no response. “Good.” He said throwing the blanket off himself and onto Deany beside him. He cringed slightly as the Scholar rolled onto his side.

Slowly he rose to his feet and put his mask back on. He walked over to the door and pushed down on the latch, with a click it swung open and moonlight spilled in. Zak slipped the mask over his face completing the disguise. With one final look back at the still bodies he stepped out of the room and slipped into the empty common room.

Like a shadow he walked through the tavern and out into the streets that were as still as a small pond. He immediately entered into a thief mode and softly padded down the street towards the nearest entrance to the thieves guild.

He pushed aside two wooden barrels and pushed open the door behind; it slid back without resistance or sound. Zak took a look up at the moon; though to Deany it appeared hazy like the sun, the thief understood what the haze meant. The air elementals were getting anxious for some action to be taken against the land, he had seen it once before when the elements destroyed Alure and he knew that he had to do something. If anyone could stop the destruction of this country it was his sister Rebekah, the head of the thieves guild.

He ran down the dark passageway, fear of running into something was not existent, he knew that nothing would be here until he reached the end. He sensed the end of the tunnel and slowed to a halt, reaching out his hand he felt the cold stone in front of him and gave a light push that was enough to move the door. It gave way easily and the tunnel was lit with the unnatural light from the underground city, hidden from sight.

Zak considered what the elements would do to this place, he realized that the earth around could simply give way and kill all the inhabitants as quickly or slowly as it wanted. He had seen many people die in the arena and accepted that his death would be by the sword; the thought of dying underground, crushed by falling rocks wasn’t what he had envisioned at all.

The underground city had always confused Zak. Ever since the first time that his uncle had brought him here nearly ten harvests ago he could never find his way. ‘The open sky, that’s where I should be.’ Zak thought to himself as he tried to get his bearings from the buildings around him and where he entered the guild. Eventually he gave up and wandered blindly past many dim lights.

He walked with determination and purpose, for this reason no one ever asked him if he was lost. Zak was too proud to admit that he couldn’t find his way. If the leader of the arena could be credited with anything it was path finding, without the sun or stars though he was hopeless. His pride eventually gave way to his nerves and asked a passerby the direction of the Hall of Thieves, his sisters headquarters.

The thief gave many confusing directions that befuddled Zak and his eyes reflected these thoughts back to his comrade. The thief escorted Zak to the Hall of Thieves and there they parted ways. Zak threw the doors open and clambered down the hall yelling his sisters name, “Rebekah! Rebekah!” He shouts loudly into every passage way.

Rebekah emerges from her room wearing a robe that she threw around herself and walks into the throne room just as Zak throws open the doors. She was surprised to see her little brother here, it was rare for him to come down, she knew he hated the underground city. “Rebekah.” He gasps, exhausted from shouting.

“What are you doing here?” She asks softly, “The games are coming up soon, shouldn’t you be sleeping?” Her face suddenly becomes more serious, “Don’t underestimate Flaws.” She tells him sternly.

Zak shook his head and breathed deeply, unsure how to explain what he already knows. “That’s already happened to me!” He tells her. She tilts her head and searches his eyes for an answer. “I’m from a few days in the future. I’ve come back to warn you, Alure is going to blow up on the 25th of Bamre.”

Rebekah smiles “What?” She asks laughingly, “You’re from the future? Then I’m the one who blows up Alure.”

“No!” Zak shouts seriously, Rebekah was surprised, she’d never seen her brother like this “Listen to me! If we don’t do something now it will happen again. You were here when it happened, you’re dead in my future.” She looks away sadly, “I’m not going to loose you again.” He said quietly, “That’s why I came back, you’re the only one who can save Alure. The people I’m with saved the world but had to let Alure die. You can save Alure!” He shouted.

“If I’m dead in the future…” Rebekah begins.

“No!” Zak shouted, “That won’t happen again.”

She shook her head, “You’ve already seen it. It’s already happened.”

“You know now.” He tells her, “You can prevent it, if not we can escape.”

She laughs mirthlessly and a faint smile crosses her lips, “I’ll do whatever I can to keep this from happening, but Alure is like my child. I will stay with it, even if it means my own death.”

“You won’t die!” He shouted, “I won’t let you! This isn't over!” He didn’t let her speak as he stormed out of the room and with tears in his eyes started to try and find a way back up to the city.
© Copyright 2007 Deany (deanyd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1223308-To-Save-The-World