*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1227367-Unheard-music
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Horror/Scary · #1227367
This is an odd piece that once was my favorite. What do you think?
I was lying there in bed; all cozy and warm. I was on the verge of slipping into sleep when I felt it, a presence.
I didn’t want to look, but really had no choice. Instinct forced my eyes to the darkest corner of my room. When my gaze reached the corner, it was matched by a pair of glowing red eyes. I barely had had time to startle before the beast was upon me.
It sprang from the shadows and landed square on my chest. I heard bones breaking and flesh tearing. I could feel the warm gushing of blood, I could taste death.
The beast was all hair and fury, I never could ascertain what exactly was feasting on my flesh, but I did see its face. The face man has feared since the dawn of humanity, a face of pure evil. I knew I was about to expire, I could feel life slipping away. Suddenly from above an aberration appeared in a bright light, lowered and lifted the beast away.
Once more my instincts insisted I look, the damage had to be assessed. I looked down at the gapping wound that had once been my chest. I looked past the torn flesh and gouging bones and saw my heart. It was not a mere blob of red muscle, but a smiling face with bright eyes and a cheery smile dotted by dimples, he was bright red. I suddenly had an urge to go outside.
I steeped out the door of my room directly into the woods. All the creatures of the world were dancing around and the trees swayed to the beat of unheard music. I joined in, and realized everything was going to be all right. Everything would be all right.
© Copyright 2007 Delamar Ash (clayn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1227367-Unheard-music