*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1228850-Written-in-the-Stars-chapter-two
Rated: E · Other · LGBTQ+ · #1228850
Trying to get ready to submit to contest, please help by proof reading. Thank you
Chapter Two

    As the sun rose Luna quickly dressed and slipped out of her father's hut. She ran barefoot across the village to the hill over looking that path into the mountains. The initiates were hiking up the trail. There were eight boys and Summer accompanied by Black Hawk and three hunters. As they reached the crest of the path before turning the bend, one of the members of the group turned and looked back.
    Summer Rain had been silently walking up the trail beside Black Hawk when she felt Luna's gaze touch her. She stopped dead in her tracks and listened to the wind for a few seconds. Slowly she turned and looked up towards the rising sun. That was when she saw Luna standing alone on the hilltop. Luna smiled and waved. Summer waved back but then she had to catch up to the others. Luna turned and walked back to the village to wait for Summer to return. It was going to be the longest three days of her young life.
    When the initiates reached the sweat lodge they laid down their packs and began to gather wood for the fire. The men got the lodge ready and started heating the stones. "Alright boys…and Summer, take off your clothes and go into the lodge," Black Hawk ordered. Having grown up with these boys, fought, hunted and trained with them Summer Rain wasn't the least bit self-conscience about disrobing around them. They were her hunt brothers and closest friends, except for Luna of course. To them, Summer wasn't a girl. At least they didn't think of her as one. She was the Starchild, the savior of their people. She had shown herself to be just as driven and determined to make it as a hunter as they were. They didn't have to take it easy on her or watch what they said around her like they did with other girls.
    The boys stripped down to their loincloths so Summer did the same. They folded their clothes and set them aside then entered the sweat lodge. They took up their seats in a circle around the walls. Using forked sticks to carry the hot stones the men began to pile them in the pit at the center of the lodge. Black Hawk stripped off his clothes and entered the lodge with a bowl of water and a small-carved cup. He closed the hide flap over the door and sat down. "Let us begin," he said before flipping a cup of water onto the red-hot stones.
    Steam quickly filled the small sweat lodge. Black Hawk took up his drum and began to beat out a slow steady rhythm. Meanwhile a pouch of herbs was passed around the circle. Each of the initiates took a leaf and chewed it. The herb would act to purge their stomachs. Within an hour's time each of them would be vomiting up the contents of their stomachs. Unpleasant perhaps but they believed that they must be purged of all impurities from their bodies in order for their souls to receive a message from the spirits that guided their lives.
    As the steady beat of the drum continued within the steam filled lodge, Summer Rain gazed blankly at the hot stones. She clutched her medicine pouch in one hand and began to rock back and forth. Quietly she started to chant to herself. The others soon picked up the chant until it was like the sound of rolling thunder.
    The chanting grew fainter as the effects of the herbs; steam and fasting began to take hold on them. Summer still rocked slowly back and forth as she held her medicine pouch in one hand. The pouch contained the arrowhead from her first kill; a piece of rose quarts, a clear crystal about the size of her little finger, a spirit stone and now the lock of hair that Luna had given her. These were her tokens of power and she carried them with her always in the pouch around her neck.
    Hour after hour passed. When Black Hawk would step out another of the men would come in to take up the beating of the drum. While the initiates went threw the purification inside the sweat lodge, the men outside gathered wood for a huge fire that would burn through out the night. Suddenly the door flap was pushed back and the bright sunlight shone in. Tiredly the initiates began to file out of the lodge, shielding their eyes from the sun. "Gather your things and go down to the river to bathe," Black Hawk said.
    The sun would be setting in about an hour so they had to hurry. Summer Rain took her things and headed upstream a bit to find a secluded spot. She sat down tiredly on the riverbank to rest for a few minutes. She took a moment to thank the great spirit for seeing her this far safely along her journey. Summer gazed out across the water and found her mind once again drifting back to Luna. A soft smile touched her lips as a picture of Luna became clear in her mind. Summer was amazed to find just how much she missed the girl already.
    Summer gathered some soap root and waded out into the water. She had removed the loincloth she was wearing and laid out her clothes for when she was done. The cold water felt wonderfully refreshing against her skin. Summer took her time washing first her hair and then scrubbing her body clean. By the time she had gathered her things and started back the sun was setting.
    The fire burned brightly in the village circle. Luna sat off by herself gazing longingly at the stars in the sky. "Oh Summer, I miss you so much already. I don't know how I will ever be able to get through another two days without you," Luna sighed.
    "I'm sure that you'll survive Luna," Sparrow said as she stepped out into the clearing.
    "What are you doing sneaking around out here?" Luna asked.
    "I wasn't sneaking. You were just too busy pinning away for Summer to hear me coming," Sparrow answered.
    Luna couldn't help but pout. "I miss her so much Sparrow!" Luna whined.
    Sparrow walked over and sat down beside her friend. She wrapped a comforting arm around Luna's shoulders. "I know you do…but she'll return soon. Besides it's best you get use to it now. When she's made a full hunter of the tribe she will be going on extended hunts with the other men," Sparrow said.
    "Ugh, I don't even want to think about that," Luna moaned. Sparrow tried not to laugh.
    "I'm sorry but you are hopeless. I've never seen anyone so much in love with another person," Sparrow said.
    After a couple of minutes of comfortable silence Sparrow spoke again. "You know Luna it's hard enough for any woman to have to wait for her hunter to return but…"
    "But what?"
    "Well its just…Summer is not just an ordinary hunter. She's the Starchild and the next spirit master of our tribe. Her duties may take her away even more often," Sparrow said.
    "I know that the Starchild belongs to all the people and I would never want to stand in the way of the path the spirits have laid out for her. I know it won't be easy but I still wish we could be together. I can't help how I feel. I love her," Luna explained. Sparrow nodded her head knowingly.
    Meanwhile several miles up river Summer Rain and the other initiates danced and chanted as they circled the large fire. They had been at it since sun down and would continue to dance through out the night. The ritual chanting and steps were believed to draw the spirits near. Certain prayers for protection and guidance would follow this.
    The dance steps and chants were effective in inducing a trance-like state in those who participated. As the sun began to rise in the horizon the chanting slowly came to a stop. The steady beating of the drums ended and everything fell into an eerie silence. The group moved to sit in a circle. Black Hawk led them in the reciting of prayers then lit the first pipe. After taking a deep drag on the pipe he passed it to the boy sitting on his left. Once the pipe made it half way around the circle he lit another and passed that.
    Black Hawk was careful not to inhale too much of the vision inducing smoke. He had to remain in control of himself. In rare cases there had been initiates who had bad reactions to smoking the sacred leaves. He had to be prepared to treat them if anyone went into a fit or stopped breathing. The three men with the group were there to make sure nobody got seriously injured while under the effects of the smoke. They would stand guard over the initiates to protect them against wild animals, other hunters and each other. Occasionally one of the boys in the past would get the idea that he was in fact an eagle and would jump off the cliff to try to fly. The hunters would keep the pipes filled and stand watch for the next thirty-six hours until they were returned safely back to the village.
    The smoke affected everyone in a different way. Some people got sleepy while others had spontaneous bursts of energy. For some, things became blurry and disjointed while others saw things with a never before known clarity.
    At first Summer didn't feel anything. The smoke was slow taking its effect on her. She sat watching her hunt brothers as they fell under the spell of the sacred leaves. One boy was laying face down in the dirt watching an ant carrying a crumb. Another was laughing so hard he had tears streaming down his face. When asked what was so funny he simply replied in bewilderment, "I don't know". Summer shook her head and taking another pipe moved off a short distance from the others to smoke it. She leaned back against the sweat lodge and looked up at the clouds floating in the sky.
    After several moments an idea occurred to Summer that made her smile. She got up and began to gather together the things she needed; some tree bark, flowers, coal and red river mud. She got out a couple of bowls and began to grind these things down into a fine powder. Mixing in water she turned the powders into crude paints. Summer then began to paint symbols and designs on her arms, legs and face. Black Hawk watched his granddaughter from across the clearing.
    "Master what is she doing?" one of the men asked.
    "Following her destiny," Black Hawk answered. The hunter didn't really understand what the old man meant by that, but then again, mystics often spoke in riddles.
    Black Hawk had shared the full prophecy of the Starchild with only one other living person. The root woman Spotted Fawn was told the whole truth just in case the already aging spirit master did not live long enough to see the Starchild safely to adulthood. Summer was the next in line to assume the role of spirit master to the tribe. The prophecy of the Starchild however held secrets that were very closely guarded and passed on from one spirit master to the next. Black Hawk felt it might be unwise to disclose too much to Summer Rain. He didn't want to influence the path that she was destined to take.
    Summer began to chant again but in a strange tongue. Black Hawk could make out some of the words but others he could just guess at their meaning. As Summer faced the woods with her arms raised in chant, a lone gray wolf came lopping out of the trees. One of the hunters raised his spear and started running towards the animal. "Wolf! There's a wolf attacking the Starchild!" he cried out. Everyone turned to look towards the wolf. The other two men picked up their spears and started to run as well. If they let anything happen to the Starchild it could mean the end for all their people.
    Summer Rain looked the wolf in the eyes and she was not afraid. She wasn't sure if the wolf was real or a messenger sent by the spirits. Either way she knew that the animal would not harm her. When the hunter drew near and tried to protect her from the wolf Summer became angry with him. Her eyes blazed in anger and the ground seemed to shake with the sound of her voice. "NO! You will not harm him," Summer commanded.
    "Are you crazy? That wolf will tare you apart," the man warned. Summer turned and looked deeply into the man's eyes. Whatever he saw was enough to make him know not to challenge her command. He carefully backed away, leaving Summer and the wolf at each other's mercy. At that moment he wasn't sure which of them was the most dangerous.
    Summer turned around and motioned for the wolf to follow her. She walked down to the riverbank and knelt in the soft grass. It looked like she was praying. The large gray wolf simply followed Summer lying down beside her in the grass. He made no attempt to hurt her in any way but he would not allow anyone else to approach the Starchild either. "Master…?" one hunter asked.
    "It seems that the wolf has appointed himself the Starchild’s bodyguard," Black Hawk said.
    With the paint on her face and body Summer made a rather fearsome sight to behold. Maybe it was the paint or maybe the sacred leaves she had smoked but she had the look of one touched by the spirits. The wind had been blowing out of the east all afternoon but now it was beginning to howl. Black Hawk was carefully making his way over closer to Summer Rain where he could keep a watchful eye on her activities. The wolf would not allow him to get too close to her though.
    As the wind grew stronger Summer seemed to come out of her trance. "Oh this simply has to stop," Summer mumbled as she got to her feet. She raised her hands above her head. "Sky above, sea below, land that trembles, eyes that glow. Spirits hear my words, obey my will, cause the winds to now stand still," Summer cried out as she faced the wind. The wind quickly faded away so that not even a single leaf in the trees was stirring. The birds stopped singing and the crickets fell silent.
    Slowly Summer lowered her arms and turned around. All eyes in the camp were drawn to her. It was like everyone seemed to sense the awesome power that emanated from her. She laughed this maddening little laugh that sent a chill up everyone's spine. Black Hawk walked towards her. He was surprised to realize that he too was feeling a bit nervous. "Summer…Summer what are you doing?" Black Hawk asked.
    Summer Rain grabbed hold of the spirit master's arm excitedly. "Grandfather! Can you see them?" she asked.
    "See who?" he asked curiously.
    "The warriors," Summer answered. Carefully the others began to move closer so they could hear what was being said.
    "Summer tell me about the warriors. Tell me about the warriors Summer." Black Hawk urged.
    "There are so many of them, like the stars in the sky. There are strong, brave and fierce warriors all around us. There's paint on their faces and bodies. Their battle cries are almost deafening," Summer explained in a hushed tone. Black Hawk looked at the Starchild with a mixture of fear and wonderment. Was this a vision from the spirits of what was to come? Were the warriors coming to destroy or to save the people? Black Hawk wished he knew the answers to these questions. Summer wandered away towards the river mumbling something Black Hawk couldn't make out. She sank down to sit on the ground and gazed out at the water flowing past as she petted the wolf. Time slipped by unnoticed, as she became lost in thought.
    Meanwhile back at the village Spring Flower was sitting out in the sun ideally chatting with a group of women. "Gray Fox says that this season's gathering will be the best one ever," Cherry Blossom said.
    "Howling Moon says that there will be much to trade and that some of the more remote tribes from the south are even going to be there," Soft Cloud added.
    "Stone has been working on some beautiful new blades and arrow points to take alone for trade," Spring Flower said.
    "Will Howling Moon be looking for a mate for your daughter Luna at the gathering?" Blossom asked.
    Soft Cloud and Spring Flower quickly looked at each other, both thinking the same thing. The old root woman Spotted Fawn looked up and spoke for the first time. "Luna should not mate with an outsider. Since Howling Moon has no son, Luna's mate will be our next chief," Spotted Fawn said.
    "That is true but I am sure that Howling Moon will make a good match for Luna," Soft Cloud said.
    "So he will be making a match for Luna at the gathering then?" Spring Flower asked.
    "I have asked him to do so, yes," Soft Cloud answered. Spring Flower was Howling Moon's sister and the mother of Summer Rain. She was not blind to the feelings her daughter had for Luna.
    Spring Flower looked down towards the river where Luna stood gazing longingly in the direction of the initiate's purification camp. ‘They should not be kept apart. Neither of them will ever be happy that way,’ she thought to herself. Suddenly Summer Rain appeared, stepping out of the forest before Luna.
    "Summer! What are you doing back so soon?" Luna gasped happily.
    "I've missed you Luna. I just had to see you," Summer said as she pulled the girl close into her embrace.
    "Isn't that…What's she doing here? I thought the initiates weren't due back until tomorrow evening," Soft Cloud said. Spotted Fawn stood up and wiped her hands on her skirt. She limped forward a few paces to get a better look.
    "They're not," Spring Flower said as she watched her daughter with the daughter of the chief.
    "Oh Summer I've missed you so much!" Luna said as she hugged Summer.
    "It's okay Luna. I'm here now," Summer said as she tenderly caressed Luna's cheek. Spotted Fawn limped down the path towards the two girls. The other women followed her.
    "What is the meaning of this?" Spotted Fawn demanded. Luna jumped at the sound of the root woman's voice.
    "Summer what are you doing back so early?" Spring Flower asked. Summer did not turn to face the women, nor did she answer her mother's question.
    A group of men were drawn over by the commotion. "What's going on?" Howling Moon asked as he tried to make his way to the front of the crowd. "Summer?" he said in confusion. Luna was starting to feel a bit self-conscience being at the center of all this attention. She squeezed Summer Rain's hand nervously.
    "It's alright Luna. Don't be afraid," Summer said.
    "Luna! Step away from her right now," Spotted Fawn ordered. Everyone was surprised by the sense of urgency in the old woman's tone. Luna was afraid that she was in trouble but she didn't know why. When the girl was slow to obey Spotted Fawn grabbed her arm and pulled her away from Summer.
    "What is the meaning of this woman?" Howling Moon asked.
    "That is not Summer Rain," Spotted Fawn answered. A collective murmur rose from the crowd. "Didn't you see? Her mouth didn't move. She was talking but her mouth didn't move!" Spotted Fawn said.
    "Of course it's Summer. I should think I would know my own daughter," Spring Flower said.
    "It's a spirit I tell you. She has no body," The root woman replied.
    "But she touched me. I held her hand. She is real," Luna protested.
    "Don't be afraid Luna," Summer repeated.
    "Tell her Summer. Tell her it's not true," Luna pleaded.
    "Stay back child," Spotted Fawn hissed as she grabbed Luna's arm.
    "No, let me go!" Luna cried as she struggled to free herself from the old woman's grasp.
    "Luna…I love you. I will always love you," Summer said. As quickly as she appeared Summer Rain vanished in a shimmering fog right before the eyes of all those around her.
    Back at the initiates camp a hunter was watching Summer closely. "Master do you think that the Starchild is alright?" he asked.
    "Why? What has she been doing?" Black Hawk asked.
    "She just sits there starring straight ahead at nothing," the hunter answered. Black Hawk walked over and knelt down to look into her eyes.
    "She's okay. She's just in a trance," Black Hawk said. "Unless she goes into a fit or tries to hurt herself just let her be," he added.
    The rest of the time of purification passed without incident. Finally the sunset on the third day and the group began their trek back to the village. The wolf that had guarded Summer during the time she was communicating with the spirits returned with her to the village. It was a quite trip. The initiates were all weak from hunger and exhaustion so there was none of the usual joking around or loud talk.
    "They're coming! They're coming!" a group of younger boys yelled as the group came into view of the village. Otter, the Starchild’s little brother ran down the path to greet her. Seeing the wolf at her side the boy stopped short. Summer smiled and knelt down to extend her arms to the boy.
    "It's okay. He won't hurt you. Come here and give me a hug," she said.
    "I'm glad you're back sis. Everyone in the village is talking about you," Otter said.
    "Oh yeah, and what are they saying about me?" Summer asked.
    "You'll see!" he said with such a serious expression it made Summer laugh.
    "Okay, let's go and see then," Summer said as she took her brother's hand.
    The mothers of the initiates came forward to welcome their sons’ home and offer them food and drink. When Summer turned into the village though there was a murmur of hushed whispers and then a tense silence. Black Hawk had been walking beside Summer Rain and he became instantly aware of the tension in the village. Black Hawk stepped forward and asked his son what had happened. "Master the Starchild…she was here in the village with my daughter yesterday afternoon," Howling Moon said. Black Hawk shook his head.
    "Impossible, someone was watching her at all times," Black Hawk explained.
    "She was seen by many in the village, including myself but…" Howling Moon paused.
    "But what?" Black Hawk asked.
    "She just …vanished. Right before our eyes she simply disappeared," Howling Moon said.
    Black Hawk turned to look at Summer Rain. "So it has begun," he said quietly to himself.
    Summer had no idea why everyone was looking at her so strangely. She went to her father's hut to put away her pack. She wanted to head right back out to look for Luna but her mother insisted she sit down long enough to eat something. Spring Flower had seen the same things everyone else did the day before. She saw her daughter down by the river with Luna and she saw her disappear into thin air. She didn't know what to make of these things. She had never been afraid of her daughter before. When Summer returned with a huge gray wolf trotting along at her heals it scared Spring Flower. If she were honest with herself she would have to admit that it was more than just the wolf that scared her. There was something different about Summer Rain. Spring Flower could see it in her daughter's eyes.
    After eating Summer ruffled her brother's hair and told him she would see him later. "Where are you going dear?" Spring Flower asked.
    Summer was surprised by the question since her mother normally didn't ask it. "Just for a walk mother. I won't be late," Summer answered. Summer looked at her mother trying to figure her out. She knew something was bothering her but the Starchild had no idea what it could be. Summer shrugged her shoulders and headed out to look for Luna. Summer Rain walked around the village circle but didn't see Luna anywhere. Summer was so sure that Luna would be waiting for her when she returned but she hadn't seen the girl anywhere.
    Summer had no way of knowing this but the chief had ordered Luna to stay away from her until he had a chance to talk things over with Black Hawk. Luna begged and pleaded with her father but he refused to change his mind. She was to stay in their hut until he spoke with the spirit master and the other men. Summer just thought that Luna didn't care about seeing her. Depressed she walked down to sit by the river with her wolf.
    Luna sat in her hut with her best friend Sparrow crying. Her mother sat out front of the hut so she couldn't sneak out. "I have to see her, I just have to," Luna cried.
    "Your parents are not going to let you go. You know what your father said. Summer could be dangerous," Sparrow said.
    "She is not dangerous! Summer would never hurt me or anyone else for that matter," Luna protested.
    "You don't know that for sure Luna. I mean she is the Starchild. She has powers we can't even begin to understand. Who knows what she'll do," Sparrow said.
    "I'm telling you she would never do anything to hurt me. She said she loves me," Luna said.
    "You mean that spirit said it loved you. That wasn't really Summer Rain," Sparrow said.
    "It was her! I know it was her," Luna whined.
    "Okay, okay, don't get so upset. I believe you," Sparrow said.
    "Sparrow you have to do something for me. Go find Summer and tell her that the reason I didn't meet her was because my father wouldn't let me. I don't want her to think that I just forgot about her," Luna said.
    "I don’t know Luna," Sparrow said shaking her head.
    "Come on please Sparrow. You're the only one I can trust. Please do this for me. Tell Summer I want to be with her but they won't let me out of the hut," Luna begged.
    "I shouldn't do this. I could get in a lot of trouble if your father catches me. Besides my parents told me to stay away from her too." 
    "But you'll do it, for me?" Luna asked hopefully.
    "Alright, I'm going but you owe me one for this," Sparrow said.
    Luna hugged her friend and kissed her cheek. "I won't forget. Anything I have is yours, just please hurry and find her."
    Meanwhile outside the spirit hut Black Hawk sat talking with Stone, Howling Moon and Spotted Fawn. They all claimed to have seen Summer in the village. Black Hawk knew that Summer never left the purification camp. "Her powers are beginning to awaken. She doesn't have control over them yet. I don't think she even realizes what she is doing," Black Hawk said.
    "Doesn't that make her dangerous?" Spotted Fawn asked.
    Black Hawk was slow to answer. "She needs guidance to learn to harness these new powers. I will begin working with her tomorrow."
    "But…is she dangerous?" Howling Moon asked.
    "Summer would never hurt any one," Stone said defensively of his daughter.
    "Maybe not intentionally but I have to think about the risk she poses to the people," the chief said.
    "You're not thinking about the people Howling Moon. It's your daughter Luna that you're concerned about," Spotted Fawn said dismissively.
    Black Hawk smirked at the woman's candor. Spotted Fawn was an old woman and she wasn't afraid to tell anyone in the village what she thought of them. She got away with speaking to the chief and other men in a way that no other woman could. "Now, now calm down everyone. Summer Rain may not be able to control her powers but she could never do anything to harm Luna. You know those girls are crazy about each other," Black Hawk said. Stone and Howling Moon exchanged glances. Neither could deny the truth in the spirit master's words. They knew that their daughters loved each other. Neither man was totally comfortable with the match but until then they had never tried to interfere in their relationship either.
    Down by the river Summer sat flipping her knife over and over in her hand. "I guess she's not coming boy," Summer said out loud to the wolf. "I must have been crazy to think she would," she continued. Sparrow slipped around the village and snuck down to the river to find Summer. She promised Luna she would deliver her message to the Starchild. When she found Summer though, she was talking to the large wolf that sat before her. "What am I going to do boy? She's all I ever think about. I can't believe how much I've missed her the last couple of days. You're going to like Luna, wait and see. I just know that when you meet her you are going to love her just as much as I do. I just wish I knew why she didn't come to meet me. I'm afraid that maybe she doesn't care about me the way I care about her. Everyone around here is treating me so strangely since I returned. I don't understand it. Then again most people have always treated me differently from everyone else. Just because they think I'm the Starchild. Truth is I don't know if I am or not. Some promised one I turned out to be huh boy? I'm suppose to be the savior of my people and all I can think about is how beautiful Luna is and how badly I want to be with her. I wonder where she is?" Summer said.
    Sparrow listened as Summer spoke to the wolf. Her words brought a tear to the girl's eyes as she realized that Summer loved Luna too. Sparrow was torn between wanting to come out and tell Summer that Luna wanted to be there with her and wanting to respect Summer's privacy. She was afraid that Summer would be angry if she knew she had been spying on her. Sparrow ran back to Luna's hut and told her what she had heard. "Really? She said she thinks I'm beautiful? You're not teasing me are you?" Luna asked.
    "No really. She didn't know I was listening but I heard the whole thing with my own ears. Summer is in love with you," Sparrow said.
    "What did she say when you told her my parents wouldn't let me out to meet her?"
    "Well…I didn't exactly tell her," Sparrow admitted.
    "WHAT?" Luna screamed.
    "I was afraid that she would be angry if she knew I was spying on her so I didn't tell her," Sparrow explained.
    "Sparrow you promised. You have to go back and tell her right now," Luna insisted. "Forget it. I'll do it myself. You just distract my mother long enough for me to slip out," Luna said.
    Luna was able to sneak out and she ran to the river to look for Summer but she couldn't find her anywhere. "Oh No! Now what do I do? Summer where are you?" Luna cried as she sank to her knees on the riverbank. Luna covered her eyes and cried in despair.
    "Luna…" Summer said softly as she kneeled down beside her.
    "Summer! Thank the gods. I thought I had missed you," Luna gasped as she buried her face in Summer's shoulder.
    "Hush… now don't cry Luna. I'm here. Everything is going to be alright," Summer soothed as she held the girl tenderly in her arms.
    "I wanted to come earlier but I had to sneak out. My parents won't let me see you," Luna cried.
    "What? Why not?" Summer asked.
    "I think they are afraid of you," Luna confessed.
    Without even thinking about it Luna reached out to pet the wolf. She wasn't afraid as long as Summer was there. She knew that Summer would never let anything bad happen to her. "I don't understand. Why is everyone suddenly afraid of me? What did I do?" Summer asked. Luna told Summer Rain about what happened in the village while she was gone. She did not tell her however that the spirit had said that it loved her. Summer sat silently thinking about what Luna said. "Were you afraid Luna?" Summer asked. Luna smiled sweetly and took Summer's hand in hers.
    "No, I wasn't afraid then and I'm not afraid of you now," Luna said. Summer smiled and leaned forward to softly kiss her cheek.
    "I'm glad that you're not afraid of me. I could never do anything to hurt you Luna. I …I care about you," Summer said with a slight stutter.
    "I know Summer. I think I've always known. Ever since the day that you saved me from the mountain lion I knew that you would never let harm come to me. I knew you cared. I care very deeply for you too," Luna whispered softly. Their eyes met and they embraced one another.
    Black Hawk was walking across the village with Stone and Howling Moon when they saw the two girls hugging by the river. Howling Moon tensed up in a mixture of anger and frustration. "I told her to stay in the hut until I returned," the chief said as he looked at his daughter. "She would not have defied me if it weren't for your daughter Stone," Howling Moon added.
    "Don't blame Summer Rain if you can't control your own daughter," Stone growled.
    Black Hawk shook his head. "Be quite both of you," the spirit master ordered. "You both want to blame the other when you should be thinking about those girls. They love each other and they want to be together. Is that really so bad?" Black Hawk asked. Howling Moon and Stone looked at each other without saying a word.













© Copyright 2007 lezfiction (lezfiction at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1228850-Written-in-the-Stars-chapter-two