*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1233935-A-Case-of-Forgetfulness
Rated: E · Short Story · Comedy · #1233935
A short, humorous entry for a contest. Check it out, you'll laugh, I guarantee it!
Prompt: Write a story in which someone tries to ignore a feeling.

Running out of the house and hastily turning around to lock the front door, Lina couldn’t help but get the feeling that she had forgotten something important. Vitally important. The alarming thought was quickly brushed aside however, replaced by a more urgent, beeping noise from her wristwatch. She was running late. Hefting her school bag further up her shoulder, she ran down the cracked sidewalk leading to the bus stop, and didn’t slow down until she spotted her friends.

“Jack, Alaric!”

The two boys looked up at the running teen waving exuberantly in their direction and, upon closer inspection of her appearance, gasped in acute horror.

The feeling that Lina had forgotten something came back to smack her in the head at full force. As she stopped in front of them and bent over, catching her breath with hands on either knee, her friends’ expressions only became graver.

Straightening back up, she panted, “What’s up?”

“Lina, why are you--” started Jack.
“Lina! Don’t you realize--” mimicked the other.

But before they could finish, the bus--at that very second--had arrived. Conveniently coming to a screeching halt right next to them, the bus drowned out whatever the duo may have had to say. Still a bit puzzled by her friends’ weird behavior, but chalking it up to the fact that it was still disturbingly early in the morning (9 AM), Lina hopped on the bus without further ado.

Immediately, the students’ loud ruckus came to a halt. In this case, if a tree were to fall in a forest and nobody was there to hear it, it would have made a noise.

Slapping a hand to her forehead, Lina finally realized that she had indeed forgotten something important. She was still wearing her Britney Spears pajamas.

The End.

Word Count: 300 [Including the words The and End, but excluding the aforementioned conjunction "and", the prompt, and this nineteen word sentence.]
© Copyright 2007 I.M. Kingfisher (eneri at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1233935-A-Case-of-Forgetfulness