*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1250835-Jesus--the-Sales-Assistant
Rated: E · Short Story · Religious · #1250835
A re-telling of a familiar story of Jesus calling his disciples
This idea was given to me by a friend who suggested it.

Luke 5v1-11: The Calling of the First Disciples

A Modern re-telling:

One day a wise man was standing in the busy Harlequin Shopping Centre and lots of people were crowding round him and listening to him speak about some very wise and important things.  The man looked around him and saw a mobile phone store in which stood a sales assistant who looked very miserable.

The reason the assistant was so miserable was because he was having a really bad week!  He had sold no phones at all and the store was due to close soon.  To make matters worse for him, he was on commission so it meant that he would have no money and nothing to eat.

The man strode into the shop and asked the depressed sales assistant if he could use the shop’s PA system to speak to the crowd of people hanging around.  From inside the mobile phone store the man spoke many wise things and taught all the gathered people in the Harlequin Shopping Centre.

When he had finished speaking, he said to the sales assistant, “Why don’t you try again, see if you can sell some phones.”

The sales assistant protested, “Sir, I have been trying to sell phones all week long.  Nobody in the Harlequin wants to buy a phone from me.  But, you seem to have a way with people and what have I got to lose, the store closes in 30 minutes.”

So the sales assistant started to try and sell phones again, and too his amazement EVERYBODY wanted a phone.  It was not long before the computerised till started to jam up unable to cope with the volume of Visa transactions it was doing.  The sales assistant had so many people wanting a phone that he had to call his colleagues from the storeroom to help him cope with the number of phones being sold.  In the space of 30 minutes they sold every phone in the store!

Once the store had closed the sales assistant turned to the man and said, “You are truly an amazing man, who should keep well away from such a poor sales assistant like me.” 

For he and all his colleagues were totally astonished at the number of phones they have sold.  Never before in the history of the Harlequin Shopping Centre had so many phones been sold in so little time.

The man turned to the sales assistant and said, “Don’t be afraid; from now on you will work for me to give away something far more precious.”

So they locked the store for good and left everything and followed Jesus.
© Copyright 2007 The Bishop (thebishop at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1250835-Jesus--the-Sales-Assistant