*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1252890-Its-all-in-my-CV
Rated: E · Short Story · Experience · #1252890
All I can say is: Proof Read! Proof Read, Proof Read!
School was almost over for the summer and I was getting ready to find the ultimate summer job before I headed off to university in September.  I sat in front of the computer and began the dreaded task of writing my C.V.  I carefully listed my schooling and then my work experience.  I listed the farm job I had the previous summer, the summer I spent building fences and the after school job I had at the corner shop where I stacked the shelves and minded the cash.  Then I came upon the listing of my hobbies.  Well, this is where I thought I could really shine.  I put down writing and painting, weight lifting and canoeing, camping and my volunteer work at the local animal shelter. 

If nothing else, I figured that this would get me an interview and then the real me would come out.  I’d be working by the end of the semester and have plenty of cash for my first year at University.  Just to make sure though, I asked my Dad to have a look to see if he could make it more polished.  He said that he was a little busy at the moment but would take a look later on that evening, and print out a copy for me.

The next morning, my CV was on the dining room table and ready for me to distribute.  I put it with my schoolbooks and headed off to school where I  photocopied it and dropped it off at local businesses at lunchtime and after school.  I dropped a CV off at nearly every business in town that I knew hired students in the summer.  Only one would not accept the C.V., as they only accepted application forms.  It was a fast food restaurant, so I ate my lunch and filled in the application form before heading back to school.

The next day I received a call from the restaurant and went in for an interview.  When they told me that I could start on the following Saturday, I figured that I’d take the job until I got another phone call from one of the other businesses.  By the end of the month, I figured that at least a few of the places would have called me for interview but none of them had.  I decided to ring up some of the places and see if they were still hiring but was told that they had received my C.V. but I was not suitable for
anything. 

A few nights later at the dinner table, I spoke to my Dad about my new and improved C.V.  “Why don’t you think anyone hasn’t anyone contacted me?” I asked.  I explained that no one had even wanted to give me an interview.  My father looked
uncomfortable, but said we would take another look at it after dinner.

Later that night, as we went through the C.V., I realised why no one had called.  My father asked if I had proof read his changes to my C.V.  I admitted that I hadn’t and because of this I a) learned a valuable lesson about proofreading and b) realised that I was stuck in fast food for the rest of the summer. 

As a joke, my father had changed my hobbies to ‘Plundering, Pillaging and General Mayhem’.
© Copyright 2007 buddhaamc (cranemillican at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1252890-Its-all-in-my-CV