*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1281538-Our-society-is-full-of-zombies
by dollar
Rated: 13+ · Essay · Opinion · #1281538
What the hell has went wrong with our society in the past 30 years?
Evolution has a lot to answer for in regards to the pill-popping, head-bashed Brit.
This current society is predominantly filled with zombies- so far gone, it will take a decade of medication and endless hours of cognitive therapy to haul them back from the brink of meltdown.
The typical Brit is now the most overworked, underpaid, stressed and depressed specimen in the whole history of the human race.
It is now so bad that doctors are run off their feet trying to satisfy an unprecedented demand for happy-pills.
What has happened over the last few decades,or so, that has made the place so mind-straining to live in?
One of the major factors, of course, is our work ethos.We all want the lucrative salaries and lifestyle to match.
The problem is, if we are lucky enough to land such a position- we're going to sacrifice our social diary for it.
And if we have children then the poor darlings relationship with us will suffer.Because we'll be too busy to take them to the park,to school, to clubs and all the related pursuits commonplace in a stable family environment.
We'll be too busy with our head in a mountain of files, or rushing through a set of proposals for the following morning.
Or most probable of all, we'll be bustin a gut to impress our new superiour.
The rest of us who, for whatever reason fail to achieve the haughty levels of employment, will fill one of a thousand types of low-paid jobs.Where we'll also have to work our fingers to the bone to get by.
And this is the shameful thing that majorly contributes to stress and depression in the workplace and society in general.
If we take home a grand salary we'll have the plush property, latest car model and little luxuries in plentiful supply.But our family and social life will take a battering as a result.
We may respond in our constantly burdened ways by using certain techniques to ease the strain.
Some will opt for natural therapeutic measures, i.e, yoga, running,going to the gym or meditation, ( yeah, about 1 in 100).
But we know in todays society workers in their droves are fleeing to the doctors, bars or liquor stores for their self-diagnosed medication.
Pills, alcohol and self-annihalation is the only route most of us are taking nowadays.
All work and no play is the order of the day.Nothing gives to ease the build-up of inner-tension.
The average to low paid workforce also have their fair share of pressure to deal with.
They are always trying to stay on the heels of the more well off in terms of buying power.The frustrating and difficult thing for them is, they can never compete- but they force themselves to do so by means of spending what they don't have.
They have to play catch-up to the rich.Even though most of us will ruin ourselves trying.
© Copyright 2007 dollar (ketch at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1281538-Our-society-is-full-of-zombies