*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1283524-Drusilla
by OKi
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1283524
A twist on the classical story Cinderella
         A loud rap from the front porch echoed throughout the house. Anastasia answered the door. On the front step a small plump man stood, behind him the handsom Prince walked up on the front step. “By royal decree of the prince every maiden has to try on this glass slipper,” the short man declared.
         “I want to try it on first!” Drusilla announced, knocking her sister out of the way.
         “No! I am going to try it on first!” Anastasia pushed Drusilla.
         “No!” The girls started bickering.
         “Girls, girls. Settle down, Anastasia will try the slipped on first,” Lady Tremaine calmly explained. The girls rushed onto the sofa.
         “Here we go again,” the plump man said to the Prince, rolling his eyes. The Prince and his plump servant stepped into the mansion. The servant took the shiny glass slipper delicately off the cushion. Anastasia grabbed it from his hand and crammed her foot into the slipper.
         “Look it fits!” She announced, the shoe was on the verge of flinging off her foot.
         “Walton, take that shoe off before it shatters. That shoe isn’t even close to fitting on her foot,” The Prince said. The servant took of the glass slipper immediately.
         “My turn! My turn!” Drusilla screamed. This time Walton just shoved the slipper on Drusilla’s foot.
         “It fits!” She shrieked.
         “Oh my. It fits,” The Prince whispered in amazement. ‘She doesn’t remind me one bit of the mysterious girl though,’ he thought.
         “It fits! You will be married to the Prince!” Lady Tremaine announced, skipping around the room. The ladies were celebrating.
         “Wait!” A delicate young lady ran down the stairs. “I have the other slipper!”
         “You stole my slipper from my room! How dare you!” Drusilla accused the young gal.
         “Goodbye darling,” Lady Tremaine said as she pushed Drusilla, the Prince, and Walton out the door.
         “Off to the castle,” Drusilla said excitedly.
         ‘What have I done,’ The Prince thought, ‘She is nothing like the mysterious girl at the ball.’ The castle was starting to come into view. The carriage entered the castle's huge wooden gate. Once the carriage stopped Drusilla jumped out. She skipped into the castle.
         “Why don’t you follow your future wife inside?” Walton asked.
         “Don’t push your luck Walton,” The Prince said, strolling after Drusilla.
         “Where is my room? And all my fancy stuff?” Drusilla demanded. The servants were scrambling around the castle, trying to fulfill Drusilla’s requests.
         “Son! Your back!” The King announced. “Where’s my daughter-in-law?”
         “Right here!” Drusilla screamed.
         “Hello, can I have the pleasure of learning your name?”
         “I am Drusilla!”
         “Hello Drusilla. Son, we planned the wedding for tomorrow afternoon. The whole village will be attending.”
         “What?” The Prince said shocked.
         “Yes, we figured you would want it soon. Is that okay?” The King asked.
         “It’s fine,” The Prince mumbled.
         “Good! Drusilla why don’t you come with me, I will show you to your room.” The King instructed. Drusilla skipped up the castle’s staircase.
         
         The prince laid in his bed that night tossing and turning. “No! No!” The Prince screamed. He jolted upright in his bed. He scanned his room. ‘It was only a dream. It was only a dream,’ The Prince told himself. He laid back, sweaty, in his bed and fell right to sleep.

         “Wake up! Wake up!” Drusilla shrieked, shaking the Prince.
         “Huh?” The Prince replied, sleepy-eyed.
         “Today’s our wedding!” Drusilla skipped around the room. “Time to get ready sleepy head.” Drusilla ran out of the room. The Prince got out of bed and rinsed off his face.
         “My son, I am so proud of you!” The King said walking into the Prince’s room. “Where’s your suit?” He asked. The Prince just stared around, taking everything in. “Robert! Bring up the suit!” The King demanded. Two servants clomped up the staircase and into the Prince’s room. “Hurry up son, your going to be late!” The King scurried out of the room.
         “Prince, come on and get your suit on,” Robert insisted. The Prince strolled over to Robert and slipped on his suit. The Prince walked down the staircase.
         “Son! You look amazing!” The King said pushing him out into the yard where the wedding was being held.
         ‘This is all happening so fast. Is this what I really want to do?’ The Prince asked himself. before he had a chance to think the music started up. Drusilla walked down in a big, poofy white dress. ‘And she isn’t even pretty,’ The Prince added. Everyone stood up and cheered. Lady Tremaine was cheering her heart out. Drusilla was looking joyful. ‘Oh great, here we go,’ The Prince thought.
         After all the announcements and the applause, it was time to get married. “Do you, Prince, take Drusilla as your wedded wife?” The priest asked.
         “I…I..I don’t,” The Prince said, and he ran off.
© Copyright 2007 OKi (isoocer8 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1283524-Drusilla