*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1301391-Cliche
Rated: 13+ · Monologue · Comedy · #1301391
How annoying cliches can be.
How the hell can I write an original piece when all these cliches keep popping up in my head like weeds?

First I tried to write about a monster that would strike fear into readers and have them running for the hills. How about a nocturnal shapeshifter that preys on people for their blood? Wait a minute... already done.

A romance novel! A man and a woman fall in love, only they can't love each other because of their differences. In the end though, they find that love conquers all. Do I hear wedding bells? Wait, I think Mrs. Roberts may have done it. Damn!

Murder most foul? It can't be! Who would kill Mrs. Johnson? Her loving husband couldn't be a suspect, could he? Life insurance is a hell of a thing you know. Well, detective, maybe it was her son. He's eighteen now, and she had a vault filled with cash that she would give to him upon her death. Her jealous daughter, the perfect suspect. She always vowed revenge on her mother for leaving her out of her will. Wait, I think Scooby may have already solved this mystery. Meddling kids and their stupid mutt.

I wanna write a classic, not a cliche. Why is that so hard to do? There is not one damn idea left in this world, and I think the word original has finally lost all meaning.

I could cry my eyes out! I could bawl all night. I could... could... I don't know. I could just shut up and move on. It's not that bad. Cliches can be annoying, but they lead to new ideas. Maybe Dracula and Frankenstein inspire people to write more nail-biting stories. And good murder mysteries might get a person's gears rolling. Love stories start the water works, but out of the tears come new stories of love and conflicts. You know something, I'm starting to think differently about this whole ordeal. Cliches, the inspirators! Is that a word? Who cares! As Katrina and the Waves would say "I'm walkin' on sunshine, whoa!".

I'm going to find one of the corniest, played out movies I can and watch it ten times straight until I get some motivation out of it.

Thanks for your help.
© Copyright 2007 Shyanne Elaine Miller (shyelamil at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1301391-Cliche