*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1311045-Moved-Here-When-Your-Health-Fails
Rated: E · Short Story · Experience · #1311045
Short Story. A mistaken word in an obituary.
When I was a much younger woman, I used to read the obituary column of our daily newspaper everyday. Not so much out of seeing someone's familiar name in there, but to feed my curiosity.

I shall never forget the day I came upon the most unusual obituary I had ever read.
I cannot remember the woman's name who had deceased. Yet, I will always recall what was said in reference to her.

The write up started out like an ordinary obituary with the typical facts of where this woman was born, educated, married, resided, and what if any children she may have borne.

It went on to state all of her hobbies and interests and each were listed in order.

Then began the mentioning of her specific illness and some of the different institutions where she had been treated. Stating each by name, and why and when she was moved there.

I will always remember this one shocking statement:

"Then she was moved to Martha And Mary Funeral Home when her health failed."

Having lived in the area for over twenty years, I am sure it was meant to read:

"Martha And Mary Nursing Home".

Heaven forbid the horror she would have known had she been able to read her own humorous obituary!



Word Count: 214
© Copyright 2007 ShiShad (shishad at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1311045-Moved-Here-When-Your-Health-Fails