*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1339523-Effective-Affect
Rated: E · Essay · None · #1339523
Assignment 4, Genesis 1
“Affect/Effect”

         How will this lesson on the correct usage of “affect” and “effect” affect my writing and what effect would I like it to have?  Initially, I think the overall effect will be to make me more effective at selecting the correct word for the message I want to convey.  I would hope that it would affect my writing in a positive fashion and allow me to use my vocabulary more efficiently.
In my graduate studies toward a master’s degree in reading, I have learned how repeated practice positively effects the acquisition of vocabulary, as well as increasing the ability of the student to read printed text more efficiently, with fluency. The recommended effective duration of that practice is variable, but ten repetitions appear to have the most efficacy.  This fact makes the parameters of this lesson to be an effective method for effecting a positive affective change to my writing, as well as those of my classmates.
         Effective practice has been proven through educational research, to have a positive effect on anyone attempting just about anything.  Vocabulary practice, in particular, is a very efficient method for improving a person’s reading and writing.  I am quite certain that the effect of my participation in this lesson will enable me to use these words much more efficiently.  The research I conducted, in order to determine the various derivatives of both “affect” and “effect”, has already added effectively to the breadth of my vocabulary.  I found the dictionary explanation of the difference between the two words to be less than efficient in expanding my personal understanding.  The student edition of Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary provided this explanation:”AFFECT applies to the action of an agency in causing a change in or alteration of something (whereas) EFFECT applies to the producing of a result by an intelligent agent “.  The dictionary also included examples of each word, which added effectively to my confusion.
         The immediate result of completing this lesson appears to be the adoption of a supercilious affect to the tone of my writing.  I would hope that particular effect to be temporary, and that I will not affect that tone permanently.
         In any event, the effective affect of the completion of this lesson, has been one of confusion and frustration, although, I believe it to have been beneficial. The practice of writing has a tendency to improve the writing; however, it affects the writer.

                   
© Copyright 2007 Ms.Magi (magimarie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1339523-Effective-Affect