*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1357979-The-Town-of-Fridgedaire
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #1357979
Learn what lifes like in the fridge
         The biggest family living in the small town of Fridgedaire was the Tomato clan. Many generations of the Tomato family lived in Fridgedaire. Not only were the Tomatoes a big family, they controlled the town through politics. The town didn’t mind this because they knew the Tomatoes knew what they were doing.
         However, the Tomatoes didn’t know one thing, how to stay out of Fridgedaire longer than everyone else. It’s not that they wanted to leave. Just that only one had been outside the town at all. That was Mr. Kraft Mac-Cheese.
         The town’s folk were jealous because no one had been outside the town. Only past generations of Tomatoes, who left only because they were old. Everyone ignored old Mr. Mac-Cheese. No one invited him to the marriage of Tina Tomato and Larry Lettuce. He didn’t even find out about the child Fred and Frieda Fork had. He was just a lonely old man living in his bowl.
         The jealousy that the town had had begun to grow at a large rate. So large that a town meeting had to be held. So, on a Friday night the Tomatoes, Forks, Lettuces and the rest of the town gathered around Cheese Grater, the bell tower in the center of town.
         “We don’t want our children to be near that moldy old man!” Cried Theresa Tomato.
         “His home is beginning to stink up the whole town! It’s horrible!” shouted Bertha Banana.
         “Everyone, quiet now! No need to get all emotional,” Mayor Chester Cheese yelled over the crowd. “You all know you are not here to complain about smell. We are here to discuss Mr. Mac- Cheese because he is an outsider.”
         The place fell quiet. After a short silence, a little voice spoke from the crowd. “Let’s accept him for who he is. Who cares if he knows what the outside of Fridgedaire looks like?” It was little Travis Tomato, the youngest of the Tomato’s children. Whispers swept the crowd.
         “The little one is right!” spoke up Steve Spoon. “He is just like the rest of us. Let us invite him to tomorrows picnic.”
         A large gasp was heard.
         Mayor Cheese ignored it and replied, “You’re right Steve! Travis Tomato, would you like to invite Mr. Mac-Cheese?”
         The young one smiled. “Yes, sir.” He ran off to invite Mr. Mac-Cheese.
         The next day the picnic went on. Everyone waited for Mr. Mac-Cheese to show up.
         “Where is he?” Macy Mustard whispered to Mary Milk.
         As soon as this came from her mouth, their attentions were directed toward Mr. Mac-Cheese with a smile upon his face.
         “Thank you all for inviting me,” he said. “ I have been waiting for the picnic for forever!”
         That day everyone laughed and played and got to know Mr. Kraft Mac-Cheese. And from that day on, no one really cared who had been out of Fridgedaire and who had not. They just cared who someone was inside.
© Copyright 2007 Kendall (penquin53 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1357979-The-Town-of-Fridgedaire