*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1360055-Letters-From-War
Rated: E · Other · War · #1360055
a short story from the song Letters from War by Mark Schultz
One morning, Susan walked to her mailbox on a bright summer’s day. She found a letter from her son who was in a war far away. The letter read:



Dear Mom,

The weather here is always hot. We have to drink plenty of water to keep from dehydrating. This morning it rained a lot. It was hard to see during battle so we went underground to keep dry. I made many good friends here. We all look out for each other. Yesterday, I was thinking about dad and the life that he had. That’s why I’m here today.



Love your son,

David

P.S-You are what I’m fighting for



Susan smiled at the letter and went inside. She took out a paper and pen and wrote:



Dear David,

You’re good and you’re brave. What a father that you’ll be someday. Make it home. Make it safe.



Love,

Mom



Late in December, a day that Susan will never forget. Her tears stained the letter that she was reading. The letter read:



Dear David’s Mom,

I was up on a hill. I was out there alone when the shots all rang out and bombs were exploding. And that’s when I saw him, he came back for me. And though he was captured, a man set me free. And that man was your son. He asked me to write to you. I told him I would. I swore.



Sincerely,

Jacob



After getting that letter, every night she would pray that he was living and kept on believing. Every night she wrote to her son:



Dear David,

You’re good and you’re brave. What a father that you’ll be someday. Make it home. Make it safe.



Love,

Mom



Two years passed and Susan still hadn’t heard from her son. She never had doubts and she kept waiting and waiting for her son’s return. One day when there were autumn leaves all around Susan heard a car pull up in the driveway, so she went outside. She fell to the ground as a captain stepped out where her boy used to stand. He said, “Mom, I’m following orders from all of your letters. And I’ve come again.”

He ran into her arms dropping his bags that contained all of her letters from war. Susan smiled with tears in her eyes as she hugged her son tight. She looked up to the sky and said, “Thank you God for bringing him home.
© Copyright 2007 WriterJay89 (jvgurl89 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1360055-Letters-From-War