*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1401274-Spying-On-Society
Rated: E · Other · Personal · #1401274
Thin thoughts from a once fat person.
You’d be surprised at the things people say to my new thin self. It affirms the truth of what we fat people always knew to be true -- a secret society exists that one must be thin to get into. Apparently there’s no secret handshake, or at least I haven’t learned it yet, but I think I’m in.

I know I'm in because now people start stories with, “This really fat girl was …” They look at me and say these things without blinking an eye. They used to blink an eye. In the past when someone started telling me about someone fat, they would stop suddenly, realizing that I might be offended because I was fat, too.

But there are no eye blinks any more. I always stand there, dumbstruck by the shock of what they are saying, yet without any knowledge of how to respond. I wonder what other thin people in the secret society say? There must be a script. I’ll have to look for it in the bookstore.

Although, to be fair, the world is also a much nicer place. I get more unexplained kindnesses, more smiles and more polite hellos. It makes me wonder … has the world changed their reaction to me, or have I changed my reaction to the world? I mean, I also GIVE more unexplained kindnesses, more smiles and more polite hellos.

The world is nicer to me because I’m thin. But, I’m nicer, too.
© Copyright 2008 FussyGrrrl (fussygrrrl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1401274-Spying-On-Society