*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1405406-When-Darkness-Falls--Prologue-2
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Romance/Love · #1405406
UNFINISHED. Part 2 of the Prologue.
Jeffery Carlock sat amazed as he looked through the old letters and journals of notes. There was more than just the Light. He remembered how his heart tripled its beat as he reached into the old hat box. It had belonged to his recently deceased grand parents. He was in a room that had always been locked to him, forbidden. His Grand-Mere had always said he would only open Pandora’s box if he went in. He’d been drawn to the room as a boy- it might have been the lure of the forbidden or it could have been the undeniable pull. When his grandparents had been alive it had been locked to him, now it wasn’t.
The Dark was alive and well and in this room… in him.
He’d been raised in the Light, part of the Faithful Generation. Taught that it was the only way. Jeffery had always known better. He knew if there was a Light, their must be a Dark. The other side of the coin- how could there not be? Now, as he sat in this forsaken room he knew- his grandparents had known the truth and from the looks of things thought the Dark was more powerful, had the ability to help them get where they needed to go. It had worked for them too. His Grand-Pere had been President and had lived a fruitful life only dying of old age. His Grand-Mere had been the most notable First Lady since Elenor Roosevelt, helping change the world right along side her husband. And they had both lived the Dark.
Jeffery sat in the room, it was dark. There was nothing in here that radiated the possibility of goodness like the works of the Light. He waved a hand, seeking the energy of the Dark materials. His gift was the ability to find energy and then manipulate it. He’d been trained in the Light, so he had only manipulated Normals energies and turned it to that of the Light. It was easy.
He wanted a challenge. So far, his only challenge had been when he’s navigated the catacombs outside his small town while on a search for a missing college student. He’d quietly seethed over having to lower himself to Normals work. He was better than that… it was still too easy. Now, now he could take Light and Normals energies and manipulate them, turn them into the Dark.
The catacombs were full of Dark. He’d felt it that night while searching for the Normal. He would set up his secret life there. He would begin to build his Dark army… he would take over the Light from the Elders and ruin this Faithful Generation.


Benjie held his parents hands in front of the glass that separated the newborns from the excited on lookers. He looked curiously at the squirming infant in front of him, it was swaddled in a pink blanket and was pink in complexion as well. He hated pink. It was such a girly color. He didn’t like girls. He thought they smelled funny and never wanted to play fun games.
“She’s it?” His small boys body was barely tall enough to see through the glass. His dad looked down at him and patted his head. If he had been old enough he would have seen the look of sympathy and understanding. Then again, Benjie wasn’t old enough to understand the look, he just thought his dad looked sad.
“Yes, she’s yours. But, not for a long time.”
“Dad, I don’t even like girls.” He was trying hard not to whine or cry, it was a baby thing.
“Benjie,” His dad kneeled in front of him, his clear blue eyes looking straight into his. “This isn’t for a long time. Your Mom and I don’t want you to be scared, we just wanted you to know.”
“Dad, has Michael ever been wrong?” He looked back at the tiny baby in the window.
“Not yet.” He ruffled his sons nearly black hair once again. “But, he’s young yet.”


Sharon stared at her five year old daughter and her nine year old son and wondered if two more different people could have come from the same parents. Kelsey, her sweet little girl had a light switch temper that shifted for little to no reason, sat with her head bent over her coloring book as she concentrated on the picture. Her blonde hair was pulled into pigtails and her gray eyes were mirror images of her fathers. She could be so serious, but in the next breath be the silliest child on the planet.
Michael, her precocious son, worked on his math homework as diligently as he could knowing that just outside was his bat, ball and his best friend waiting on him. Michael also knew the rules, no play until his homework was done. He was such a good boy, never really pushing the limits. He knew that they were different, he just didn’t know how. He knew that he could somehow read the future, that his mom didn’t have to find a lighter to light the candles at dinner and that his dad was able fix his toys without needing tools to do it.
They were just kids but so much rested on them and who they were. Sharon already knew that the fate of the world literally rested on Kelsey’s shoulders. She was just a little girl, she liked to play dress up and with her dolls… she liked to rough house with her brother and his friends…. But, her mother knew already that she was the one who would either keep the light in control or the one to help the Dark win. She could do nothing about it and that broke her mother’s heart.
© Copyright 2008 DrownsInHisDreams (drwnsinhsdream at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1405406-When-Darkness-Falls--Prologue-2