*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1420766-A-True-to-Life-Peter-Pan
Rated: E · Monologue · Biographical · #1420766
A look into the mind of a man, who continues to be "The Boy Who Would Not Grow Up."
    Everyone goes through some sort of mid-life crisis.  It's a given.  You are born, you have a childhood, you survive the teenage years, you marry, and then comes the mid-life crisis.  But what if a person skipped the teenage years and then found himself standing with his bride on his wedding day when he was a child the day before?  No, I am not referring to an actual child getting married, but a child in a man's body.  You see, Peter Pan now has a wife and two wonderful sons, a cozy house, but he still never grew up.
    How dare I claim to be Peter Pan?  Well, I can fly.  I fight pirates, aliens, and monsters.  I've been to Neverland, which is exactly where J. M. Berry told us it was.  I have been a child for over thirty years now, a boy who refuses to grow up.
      Have you ever wondered what seperates the adults of this world from the children?  I have.  I have sat awake so many nights with that very question bouncing around my head, although probably for different reasons than others would have for asking it.  I wanted to know what it was that kept my mind and my imagination at such a state that I am constantly daydreaming, and that I still love all the things that fascinate children but bore the hell out of most adults.  Why is it that I can have a conversation with a ten year old that will last for hours and at the same time not be able to converse with someone my own age for more than ten minutes?  The answer to those questions is simple:  I am Peter Pan.
      Inside all of you is a little light.  That light is what is left of your childhoodself who was put to the side as you traded in your Transformers and Barbies for your first car and your first date.  That is the part of yourself that you that embarasses you whenever it trys to come out into the open.  Well, my friend, if indeed that light is inside all of us, then mine is as bright as the sun on a hot, summers day.  And now that I am a father, I am so happy that it is there, and that I am who I am.  There are experiences that I share with my sons where I can be just as excited as they are when they see something for the first time.  When their little eyes light up at the first sight of a new born snowflake, I am truly able to share that experience with them, with my own excitement just as fresh as theirs.  And I now thank God that he made me who I am...Peter Pan, the eternal child.
        Sadly, while I only have to raise two children, my wife has three.
© Copyright 2008 The Lunatic Peter Pan (tjbullard at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1420766-A-True-to-Life-Peter-Pan