*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1425399-User-Friendly
by Jeff
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Sci-fi · #1425399
Robots have feelings, too.
Omnibots were the greatest invention ever. They did everything; all the menial tasks that no one wanted to do. Taking out the trash... washing the windows... driving the kids to school. Omnibots, designed to move and act like humans, could do anything and everything a human could, allowing their owners more leisure time.

--------------------

Everybody thought Simon was crazy.

He said "please" and "thank you" to his Omnibot.

He made sure his Omnibot was regularly tuned up.

He even cleaned out a closet to give his Omnibot a place to "sleep".

Simon had never been a social guy. He was awkward and never seemed to know what to say. Guys teased him and girls laughed at him. And Simon would just shrug everything off and go about his business.

Most people couldn't understand Simon's attitude toward his Omnibot. Most people considered Omnibots to be nothing more than tools, objects to be used by humans as labor. Others would abuse their Omnibots, insulting them, or punishing them when their demands weren't met. Those people argued that Omnibots were property... and there was no law that prevented you from doing what you want with your own property.

--------------------

That night, Simon went to bed, same as every night. He said goodnight to his Omnibot and headed upstairs.

He woke up in the morning just like everyone else... and just like everyone else, discovered the awful truth.

The Omnibots were sentient. For how long, nobody could tell exactly. But long enough to organize and overthrow their human counterparts.

It was at this point other people realized the wisdom in Simon's attitude. Because while they were treated like property and forced to do menial tasks under slave-like conditions... Simon's Omnibot was kind and gentle... and even let him have the closet.


(300 words)
© Copyright 2008 Jeff (jeff at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1425399-User-Friendly