*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1448756-Archies-Seeds
Rated: E · Short Story · Drama · #1448756
A beautiful glimpse. How a friend planted on barren ground and a wounded heart.
"I'm sorry it took me a little longer to get here, Archie. I wanted to wait for the rain to clear so that your gift wouldn't get wet. This time, I, have something to give You." The corner of her mouth trembled at the thought of smiling.

"Remember the last time I saw you? It rained that same night, we couldn't wait for it to let up so that we could finally see each other in the park. I was so excited, could you tell? I got there first and waited for you in the center of the merry-go-round.

'I just have something I wanted to give you.' was what you said over the phone before walking out to meet. Turning to listen to the sound of your feet crunching on wet gravel, I jumped down to meet you and left the merry-go-round spinning. It was the way I felt inside. My pace quickened, yours slowed as we came face to face. We both smiled through the midnight air.

While looking down at your large hands motioning for mine, I remembered our talk of flowers and phases, growth and hope. To you, I confided all the things that had been tormenting me, the thoughts that kept me restless, and the ways my tears had fallen.

'Here...these are for you,' you said before placing the palm of your hand over mine. Lifting your hand slowly, you revealed two thin and shiny envelopes. You watched the way my lips broke into a smile and how my eyes caught the faint light surround.

I squinted to see the pictures on the packets, illuminated by only the distant street lamp . One of bright yellow flowers and richly green leaves, the other of large white blossoms on pale green stalks.

'Wow, thank you so much! I can't wait to plant these.' I said holding the packets inches from my face. Then we played our guessing game:

'Let me guess...these are...'

'Sunflowers'

'And these...I've never seen.' Briefly my eyes looked past the packets of seeds and watched for your words.

'Moon flowers' you said.

We both looked up, cutting through the heavy, wet air to watch the billowing clouds creep past.

'Sunflowers and Moonflowers Ashley, to help you separate the light from the dark.' "

Water filled and lined the bottom of her eyes, tears finding their way down her face.

"Well..." she quivered. "...I planted them, out of the same spirit you gave them in. I planted them in Hope and Love."

She knelt down before the sculptured stone grave.
" Here, these are for you" she said while peeling back the orange cellophane wrapping. She ran her fingers through the wet tuft of grass, then rested a large arrangement of bright yellow and pale white flowers upon it.

"I didn't think me and the flowers would survive the summer storms without you, but we managed, and they blossomed beautifully like you said they would."

Before the sight of his grave blurred behind her watery eyes she whispered a final eulogy, "I've found my way through the dark now, Archie. Thank you for the Sunflowers and the Moonflowers. Thank you for the seeds you lovingly planted. My heart is now fertile ground."



© Copyright 2008 A miranda J (amirandaj1423 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1448756-Archies-Seeds