*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1450509-Little-Joes-Lesson
Rated: E · Short Story · Animal · #1450509
A life lesson learned for a little bear in nature
The stream danced as the sunlight played games with the shadows from within. The fish were plump and abundant this fine, crisp day. The clear, shallow waters showed Mama Bear that today her and Little Joe would eat well. Little Joe was not hungry now for he was full of adventure, but Mama knew that this would soon change.

"Little Joe," warned Mama, "Keep up or you're sure to get lost."

"Yes, Mum," chanted Little Joe.

The forest was so full of interesting smells, and the scents were filling Little Joe's nose. The green pines together with the lingering smell of the rain-drenched land gave Little Joe a jolt of energy. As Joe struggled to keep up with Mama, the scintillating odor of fresh, sweet berries took over Joe's better judgment.

"Now, Joe, those berries are not quite ripe," Mama continued, "Tomorrow will be a much better day for berries."

Joe cocked his head to one side and gave Mama that charming brown-eyed gaze that tore way down deep in her heart. As Little Joe smiled, Mama swore she saw a dimple under that dabble of fur. Just then, a graceful, orange butterfly fluttered across Joe's path and almost landed on his shiny, little nose. What could ever be more important than all of the treasures that Joe had already found?

"Today is a very important day, son," beamed Mama, "You will learn something new."

With Mama's words, Little Joe took a few steps closer to her. The sound of the water rushing over the rocks made Little Joe curious. As Joe moved closer, the little cub did not realize the importance of what he was about to learn. Mama somehow did not mind because part of her wanted to hang on to this moment and remember it forever.

Just as Mama Bear's paws settled into the cool water, something very wiggly and glossy jumped high out towards the clear, blue sky above their heads. In an instant, the thing was gone. Little Joe's paws hit the wet, cool water. In the excitement, Joe reared up on his hind legs and held on to Mama's back, stretching his neck way out to get a closer look at what he had just seen.

"Pay attention to what I am about to show you," said Mama with a look of determination in her eyes.

No sooner than Mama had spoken her words, three more fish jumped out in front of them. Mama reached out and grabbed the fish. The two bears feasted on salmon that day, and Little Joe's stomach became satisfied and full. According to Little Joe, there has never been a better day. Little Joe returned year after year to that very same spot and has never forgotten or appreciated more the lessons of that day.

Sometimes if you listen to the wind on a bright, crystal day; you can hear a bear that is no longer little who looks up to the clear, blue sky.

"Thank you, Mama," Little Joe whispers, "Thank you for showing me life's little treasures."

Word Count: 510
© Copyright 2008 J.M. Levi - Finding My Way (midnighindigo at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1450509-Little-Joes-Lesson