*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1477388-Freedom-Comes-at-a-Price
Rated: E · Short Story · Animal · #1477388
Sometimes you get just what you have been wishing for.
I got a nice cage with a swing and food and water. But, I wanta be free. I wanta soar from tree limb to tree limb and hunt worms in the ground. My owner is nice. She comes and puts her finger in for me to hop onto and takes me out of my cage. She lets me fly around the house and that’s her idea of freedom. But, I wanta be free, really free! Free to roam the neighborhood and maybe join the birds down at the post office for a party. Someday maybe I can make my escape.

“There’s my Tweety bird, Come to Momma, now. Time for your exercise. Good boy! Give Momma a kiss, Tweety.”

Yuk! I hate that kissing stuff. But, a guy’s gotta do, what a guy’s gotta do! .

The next morning Tweety awakens and something is different. He hears the birds outside and turns to look at the window.

The window’s open! What a break! Now if she will just come and get me. Suppose she forgets to let me out today? Suppose she knows the window is up and puts it down before she let me out? Oh, please, oh please, don’t look at the open window!

“Tweet…tweet…tweet….”

“Oh, my! There’s my wittle Tweety boy singing so brightly this morning for him momma!”

Oh, boy. Oh, boy. Don’t look at the window! “Tweet…tweet…tweet….”

Owner reaches her hand in and offers Tweety her finger. Tweety hops on, comes out, and just as owner tries to get her kiss, Tweety is off flying for the window and then, he is gone.

“Tweety, Tweety, come back boy! Come back! Oh, Tweety, don’t leave Momma!”

Heh heh. I’m free at last, truly and genuinely free. Here I am sitting on a real tree branch I…..

The next day dawned bright and sunny as a little girl came out of the house next door to where Tweety used to live.

“Here, Kitty, Kitty. Come on Kitty, time for breakfast,” the little girl called. “Kitty! What have you got? How did you get those bright yellow feathers in your mouth, Kitty?”

358 words
© Copyright 2008 Rixfarmgirl (rixfarmgirl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1477388-Freedom-Comes-at-a-Price