*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1481820-A-Marriage-made-in-Hell
by Pammi
Rated: GC · Short Story · Adult · #1481820
Domestic Violence - Part Fact Part Fiction
Rick unclipped his seatbelt as the plane came to a stop in the terminal.

“Oh well,” he looked at Shannon. “The honeymoon’s well and truly over love. “Back to work Monday.”

“Gee thanks,” Shannon groaned as she opened the compartment above her seat and took down their bags.

“You sure know how to make me feel good.” She gave him a cheeky grin as she firmly but gently pushed a bag at him. “We’re not even home yet! Anyway, we still have all weekend to continue our honeymoon, and we have our photos to look at.”

“And letters to sort through, and washing , shopping and ironing. Oh, and don’t forget there’s bound to be a bill or two on the mat as well.”

“I thought we had agreed that unless anything looked urgent we weren’t going to bother with them until Monday Rick?”

“ I know, I know. I’m just teasing you. Now come here and give us a kiss Mrs Simpson.” He pulled her to him and she responded openly.

As their kiss became more passionate, Shannon remembered where they were. She pulled away from him, took his hand and walked off the plane and towards the carousel where cases and bags of all different shapes and sizes rolled around aimlessly while waiting to be claimed. Waiting for theirs to appear through the plastic screen, she gently squeezed his penis.

“Just wait until we get home.” She squeezed again but this time held her grasp for a little longer.

Rick laughed and moved slightly so that she had to release her grip. Next to them an elderly couple tutted in disgust.

“Oh come on, you were newlyweds once too!”

They turned away from him.

“Leave them Rick. Things were different when they were our age. Look here’s our bags.”

Rick collected them and they headed through customs and out of the airport.

Once they got home, after a long tedious journey. They threw the cases on the floor, and Shannon put the kettle on for a drink.

“I’m so glad your mum remembered to fetch some milk for us love. At least we don’t have to bother with any shops today.” she put the drinks on the table. “Rick? Your teas here.”

“I’m in the bedroom.” he called. “I believe you made me a promise?” he was lying naked on the bed, all except for the sheet draped carefully over his obviously erect manhood.

Shannon removed the band from her shoulder length brown hair. Slowly and seductively she peeled off her clothes. Easing the thin straps of the dress she wore off of her shoulders, wriggling slightly so that the dress fell down to reveal two firm, young breasts. Placing her hands on her hips, Shannon  slowly teased her panties down, just enough to allow Rick a glimpse of what was beneath. Tousling her hair she climbed on him.

Their lovemaking started off slow and passionate. Shannon always loved the way Rick made sure she was completely satisfied before he came. No-one had ever made her feel this close to coming, simply by kissing, flicking or licking her breasts, and when his tongue travelled further down her writhing body, her breath would quicken, and her moans and gasps become louder as her orgasm reached fever pitch. Rick would then enter her. Their two bodies joined as one in perfect rhythm until he too could wait no longer for release.

Once their passions had subsided they lay in each others arms for a while. Rick gently running his fingers around the contours of her face, as her breathing slowed to it’s regular beat.

“I love you sweetheart.” he kissed her nose.

Shannon turned to face him, “I love you too. You know, I think our tea will be cold now.”

“Right then wench,” he joked. “I suggest you get your arse out of this bed, and go and make a fresh cup!”

Shannon slid out from beside him and put on her dress. “Yes master” curtseying she went to make another cup. They spent the rest of the day relaxing, watching TV and eating a take away Chinese meal for two.

That night when they went to bed, Rick’s hand started to move towards Shannon’s breasts. She gently moved it away.

“I’m sorry Hun’, I guess all the travelling we’ve done today has finally caught up with me. I’m really too tired now. Kissing him she asked, You don’t mind do you?”

“It’s too bloody bad if I do really innit? Night.” he turned away from her.
Laying down again Shannon reached over and turned out the light.

“Night then. I do love you, and I’m sorry.”

After a restless night spent listening to Rick snoring throughout, Shannon was first up. By the time he rose, she’d showered, emptied their cases, put some washing on, and prepared everything for their first Sunday lunch as a married couple.

Rick walked into the lounge and turned on the radio before he sat down.

“Morning, can I get you a drink or anything?” she bent down to kiss him but he turned his head to the side forcing her to peck him on the cheek.

“Tea’ll do.”

Shannon thought he had a strange glare in his eyes. She’d never seen it before but brushed it aside. ‘Maybe he’s tired from the holiday’ she thought, and popped some bread in the toaster for him too. When it was ready she took it through to him. “Here you are love.”

Suddenly and without warning Shannon was thrown to the floor with a ringing in her ears and her face hurting. Touching her cheek, she looked up to see Rick, standing over her. His tea and toast was strewn all around the room. As he held out his hand to help her up Shannon flinched.

“I’m so sorry darling.” he bent down to help her up. “I don’t know what happened. I never meant to hurt you. I would never do anything like that on purpose. Are you okay?” he handed her a tissue to dry her tears, and sat her in the armchair.

Shannon was too shocked to speak at that moment. She was dazed, confused and she could feel her eye swelling as she watched Rick kneel down in front of her. He took hold of her hand and stroked it gently.

“For fucks sake Shan, I’ve said I’m sorry. What more can I do?”

She stood up. “Just leave me alone for a minute please. I’m going to clean my face up.”

In the bathroom Shannon looked in the mirror. Her eye was already bruised,  hair though usually neatly brushed, was dishevelled. Tracing the outline of her thin lips she wondered also why he hadn’t wanted to kiss them. All kinds of thoughts were going through her mind. “What the hell happened? He’s never even raised his voice at me before. I don’t understand this at all.”

She dried her eyes and slowly opened the door. Rick was in the kitchen.

“You okay now love? I’ve made us a cuppa, and I’ve cleared up the mess you made in the lounge.”

Her eyes widened in surprised and, just before she opened her mouth to protest his saying she had made the mess, thought better of it and just nodded.

“Ok thanks.”

Rick placed a cup of coffee on the table in front of Shannon. “There you are gorgeous, get that down you and you’ll soon feel better. Fancy falling over like that. Still, it could’ve been a lot worse. You could have scalded yourself on the hot tea, or cracked your head open or something.”

Shannon eyed him curiously. “What happened Rick? The last thing I recall was bringing you in some tea and toast, the next I was lying on the floor.

Rick calmly drank his tea then, running his hand through his slightly wavy hair.  “Don’t you remember? I’d just told you that I didn’t ask for toast and you threw it across the room as you collapsed. You must have knocked your face on the arm of the chair as you fell.”

“God I’m so confused. Why did you hit me?

The chair Rick was sitting on flew back and tipped over. Shannon tensed up as he leaned across the table.

“I didn’t bloody hit you. I just told you what happened didn’t I? Now let’s just forget all about it and go out for lunch. Go and put some make up or something on that bruise. We don’t want people getting the wrong idea now do we?”

While covering her bruised eye, Shannon tried to piece together the mornings ordeal. “Had it been an accident?” she pondered.

One thing she was sure about was that she would never feel the same way about Rick again.

What Shannon didn’t know at the time was that  this was just going to be  the start of it. There were a lot more times that she was going to be abused both physically and mentally.

*******************************************************************

For a few weeks after this incident life got back to normal. Rick was once again, the kind, considerate man she had fallen in love with, and neither of them ever mentioned it. Even friends and family believed their story of how she collapsed and hit her head. If she had told them her version of what happened they wouldn’t believe her anyway. They had all known Rick for at least four of the five years they had been together, and everyone thought he was a lovely man, or in Ruth’s (Shannon’s best friend) opinion “A bloody good catch with a great body, and a cute arse.”
One evening Rick was going out with some of his mates to a stag night. Ruth was coming round to spend the evening with Shannon. They were going to watch a ‘chick flick’ share a bottle of wine, and probably some chocolate too. As Ruth’s partner was going out too it made sense that he dropped her off and picked Rick up at the same time.

“Wow!” Shannon exclaimed when Rick emerged from the bedroom. He was dressed smart but casual in Chino’s, short sleeve shirt Brown brogues and held a jacket over his shoulder. He had put a tie in his jacket pocket, in case he needed one to get into the club they were going to.

Walking over to him Shannon joked. Hey, if I wasn’t a married women I’d pull you myself ha ha!”

He put his arm around her waist and pulled him to her. “Well honey, you’re not so bad looking yourself. How about you ‘n’ me meeting up later for some sweet, sweet loving?”

They kissed long and hard. “Sounds good to me, I’ll be waiting for you.”

The sound of the doorbell interrupted their little game.


Rick went off with Ben, while Shannon and Ruth opened a bottle of Claret, put on a DVD and sang along with the soundtrack. Eventually they both fell asleep, and were woken by the sound of someone trying to get in the front door. Shannon opened it to see Rick leaning on the wall so that he didn’t fall over, and Ben waiting in the car for Ruth. She kissed them both ‘goodnight’ and went to join Ben.

Shannon helped a very drunk Rick to the bedroom, where he fell onto the bed. Before she had a chance to even ask if he’d had a good time, he was snoring. Removing his shoes and trousers, she pulled the duvet over him, kissed him on the cheek, and got into bed herself.

“Aaahhhhhh!  “What the hell are you doing Rick? Get off of me please!.

“Shut the fuck up bitch! I’m just taking what I’m entitled to.”

He was raping Shannon.

“Rick please stop!”

His hands were round her throat now, raising her head and slamming it back onto the pillow.

“I thought I told you to fucking shut up? He continued pumping roughly on top of her. “If I hear one more word I swear I’ll fucking kill you!”

‘Sobs’

“I..” ‘slap,’ “told..” ’slap’ ”you..” ’punch’ “to shut the hell up!” Rick placed his hand over Shannon’s mouth and nose. He pressed so tightly she thought she would suffocate. Resigning herself to the horror she was enduring, Shannon stopped struggling, and lay motionless. He released his hand from her mouth and continued to maul her body.

Shannon turned her head to one side. Hoping that if she couldn’t see this monster in front of her, she would wake and it would all have been a dream. After what seemed like hours, but in effect had been less than thirty  minutes since she had been jolted from sleep, Rick grunted, pecked her on the cheek, rolled over, and within minutes was asleep again.

Laying as still as possible considering the pain searing through her battered body, silent tears smarting on the cuts on her face, Shannon was in shock. She wanted to run, run from this dreadful nightmare, not stopping until there was no pain left for her to feel.

I can’t move. Dare not move. What if he wakes up, realises I’m not here, and attacks me again?

After staring at the ceiling for over an hour, Shannon decided to risk getting up. Tentatively, she moved one leg and, pausing to make sure he didn’t move, she turned slowly, easing herself into a crouched position by the bed. Looking across at the sleeping form that was meant to be her husband, watching him breathe. She wanted him to wake and tell her she’d been dreaming, even though the pain she felt was a constant reminder that it hadn’t been.

The face that peered back at Shannon from the bathroom mirror caused her to gasp. A cut, swollen lip, bloody nose, one black and one bloodshot eye and red marks on her neck from his grip.

Is that me? It doesn’t look like me.  It reminds me of  the pictures you see in magazines, when you read a story about domestic violence. This is not the same though, I’m not a victim of abuse. I’m just a married woman who’s husband got a little over exuberant during his drunken attempt at sex.

All of these thoughts were racing through her mind as she gently bathed her wounds.  Afterwards, Shannon decided against risking disturbing Rick by trying to get back into bed.  Heading downstairs, she noticed the half drunk bottle of wine left over from the evening before. Pouring a glass, trying not to spill any with her shaking hands, she sat in the chair, sipping slowly, occasionally wiping the tears that would escape when thinking of all that went on. Eventually,  sleep took over.
*******************************************************
“Morning love. God my head feels like it has a herd of elephants trampling through it this morning.”

Shannon tried opening her eyes. One remained partially closed, a stark reminder of the previous night.  She stayed quiet and still, not sure whether to go to him, respond to his comment or wait to see what happened when, or if he came into the room.  She could hear him in the kitchen,  the chink of a spoon on glass, as he stirred ‘Andrews’ in water for his hangover.

Walking into the lounge Shannon looked up at him. He was unshaven, his eyes heavy with dark rings under them. Her hands gripped the arms of the chair, not sure what reaction to expect from him for her silence.

Rick stopped still. “What the bloody hell happened to you? He went and sat on the arm of her chair. Shannon winced as he touched her face, partly in pain and part fear.

As realisation hit him, Rick put his hands on his head.

“Oh God Shan, I’ve done it again haven’t I?.” He stood up and walked to the window.  Silence.

“Rick?.” Shannon rose from the chair. “It’s okay.”

Moving to her, Rick took held both of her hands. Looking into her eyes, Shannon could see tears welling up in his.

“I’m so, so sorry sweetheart.” he placed his arms around her, and gently stroked the back of her head.

Shannon couldn’t relax. She had no feelings, just numbness.

Rick took a step back. Still holding both arms he again looked into her eyes.

“What happened?. What did you do to make me react like that?”

Unable to stop them, tears flowed down her cheeks.

“I don’t know Rick. I helped you into bed, gave you a kiss and got in beside you. The next thing I knew I was living through a nightmare.” Carefully removing his hands, she took a tissue from the box on the table. Before Shannon could use it, Rick took it from her, and dabbed her tears.

He tenderly kissed her. Paying particular attention to the cuts and bruises.

“Well it’s no good asking me. I was so pissed, I can’t even remember getting home!. You must have done or said something for me to react like that.”

He sat down and pulled her onto his knee. Brushing her hair out of her eyes he smiled.

“Look, I am sorry that you made me do these things but you’ve got to learn not to backchat me, or deny me my rights  love. That way we won’t have any problems will we?”

“No,  I’m sorry.”

“That’s my girl. Now give us a kiss.”

The beatings became a regular  part of Shannon’s life after this and she had become a virtual prisoner in her own home. Rick had made her quit her job, stopped her from seeing her friends, and she was only allowed to go shopping if he drove her there and waited to bring her back. Sometimes it would be just a minor slap, or a push into a wall or a chair, other times more violent. She became more withdrawn, and was now expert at making excuses to friends and family. As well as the physical violence Rick had also become verbally abusive. Calling her names, telling her she wasn’t right in the head. In the end she believed that it was her fault. Whatever went on it was always her. She spoke to him in the wrong tone, his dinner wasn’t cooked properly, the house wasn’t cleaned right, any excuse to abuse her.

Ruth had become increasingly concerned over the months, and eventually Shannon had managed to confide in her. She had risked calling Ruth early one morning while Rick slept. Through her tears she had quietly (for fear of waking him), told her a little of what had been going on.

“Jesus!” Ruth was horrified. “Right I’m coming straight round. Who the hell does he think he is?”

Shannon was petrified of the thought.

“No. No, you can’t.” If he even found out I’d spoken to you, there’s no telling what he’d do. Listen, I’ve got to go. Please Ruth promise you won’t say anything to anyone. Not even Ben. I’ll be fine. I know he’ll change back to the Rick I fell in love with one day. I’ve just got to stop doing so many things wrong, that’s all.”

Sighing down the phone Ruth tried to warn her.

“Look, we’ve been friends since school, and I don’t like this one bit. I’ll keep quiet for now but, if I find out he’s laid another finger on you that’s it. I’m mean it Shan’, I can’t sit back and pretend it’s not happening. You take care, and call me whenever you can. Love you.”

“Thanks Ruth. Love you too. Bye.” Shannon quietly replaced the phone on it’s charger, and crept back to bed.

The following weekend, Rick took Shannon to his works dinner dance. The evening went smoothly, and Shannon was actually able to relax a little. Rick had introduced her to some of his colleagues, and even gave her permission to dance with the other wives and partners.

When the tempo of the music slowed Rick’s boss George asked Shannon for a dance.

Looking at Rick and then back at George, she gracefully declined.

“It’s very kind of you to ask me, but I think I’ll sit this one out. Thank you.”

“Rubbish! Rick said with laughter in his voice. “She’d love to dance with you George. Wouldn’t you love?”

“Yes alright then, if you’re sure.” she kissed him. “I’ll be back in a minute.”

“Have fun.” Rick called after them, as George led Shannon to the dance floor.

If she had known what would happen later that night, Shannon would never have agreed to even go the dance, and definitely wouldn’t have danced with George…..

“Wake  up you whore!” Rick dragged her from the bed. “So you like being with other men do you?” he dragged her round the room by her hair. In front of the Chevalier mirror, he pulled a terrified Shannon to a standing position, and pushed her face into the cold, hard glass.

“Look. Just look at the state of you. Your nothing but a lousy, stinking whore! You wanna go fuck other men? Well you go.” He started to drag her along the hallway to the front door. When Shannon stumbled he just carried on dragging, causing friction burns to appear on her legs from the carpet.

“Rick. Please stop!.”

Through loud sobs Shannon pleaded with him, but to no avail. He was relentless in his rage.

“No. Rick, please, no” her voice trailed off as her head was rammed against the front door. Shannon lost consciousness for a moment, but wished she could stay that way until this was all over.
“No. I’ve changed my mind. I’m not going to take you to the nearest street corner, where you can fuck who you like. I’m keeping you here for myself.”

He pulled her back into the bedroom and threw her on the bed.

“Now, listen to me bitch. Next time I see anyone else’s hands anywhere on your body, I swear to god I’ll kill you!” he left the bedroom slamming the door behind him.

Shannon could hear him in the kitchen. The sound of knives rattling around the drawer brought terror to her battered face. “Oh God” she started to panic. “He’s going to kill me!”

Trying to escape the bedroom she realised that he’d managed to lock the door preventing escape. Shannon knew it would be impossible to try the windows. They were both safety conscious, and always locked them when they went out. 
She could hear Rick coming back up the stairs. Thinking fast she decided to try talking to him, to see if that would calm him.

Stifling her sobs Shannon knocked gently on the bedroom door. In the softest, calmest voice she could manage when in so much pain spoke:

“Rick? Rick honey are you out there?”
Silence.

“Rick, I’m sorry. I didn’t think you’d mind me dancing with George as you were there too. I also thought you’d said it would be okay. Please love, open the door so I can show you how sorry I am.”

She sat back on the bed and waited. After a few minutes the door opened, slowly Rick walked in. The glint from the knife reflecting off of  the bedroom light. He stood still, staring at Shannon. His eyes vacant, looking right through her.

Very carefully Shannon rose from the bed and started to walk towards him, keeping one eye on the knife. As she got nearer to him, her heart beat became even faster through the fear, but still she managed to stay calm. Linking her arm in his she started to guide him to the bed, talking to him all the time.

“I really am sorry darling, I didn’t realise what I was doing. You know I love you don’t you? Here sit down.”

She lowered him to sit on the bed, and knelt in front of him. All the time trying to talk in a calm, comforting voice, when she really wanted to grab the knife, pierce his heart and run. Kissing the back of his left hand, she then rubbed the side of her face on it.

“Please forgive me love. I love you. I would never dream of hurting you.”
Saying these words made Shannon feel physically sick, but she continued. “Risking her life, she took hold of the right hand which was holding the knife. Again she kissed the back of it. Gingerly, she eased his fingers from around the handle and, when the knife dropped to the floor, Shannon shoved it under the bed. Breathing a quiet sigh of relief, she continued with the coaxing until Rick’s breathing was slow and steady again. Looking at him, he had his eyes closed.

“You tired love?”

“A bit.” he opened his eyes.  “I think it’s time we went to bed Shan.”

“Yes ok, but I’ll just go to the loo first. You get in and I’ll be back in a sec.” She started to leave the room.

“No you don’t.”

Shannon tensed again as Rick stood up. Dropping his trousers, he sneered at her.

“I believe you owe me an apology.” 

He stepped out of them, walked over to where Shannon was standing and led her to the bed.

Shannon really didn’t want to do this, but for her own sake, she knew that trying to resist would be pointless. Resigning herself to what was to come she went and laid on the bed. But Rick had other ideas. He was about to commit an act that, in Shannon’s eyes was the worst thing he could ever do to her.

“I don’t think we’ll do it like that today.” He was rubbing the stubble on his chin.
“No, whore’s will do it anyway you want them to.”

He laughed as he once more pulled Shannon from the bed. Laying her on her stomach with her legs hanging over the edge, he ripped off her nightdress and panties. Grabbing her legs he yanked them open and plunged his fingers deep into her vagina. Shannon gasped, not with passion, but pain. Rick took this as a sign of excitement.

“Oh, so the bitch likes it rough does she? He was ramming his fingers into her so hard that Shannon could feel him scratching her inside. He started to grab and pull her butt cheeks, causing the small opening to be visible. Then he spat on it, and pushed his penis into her rear, holding her head by her hair at the same time, which prevented her from moving away.

Shannon screamed as the pain of her anus tearing swept through her entire body.

“Shut up bitch!. This time, when Rick hit her Shannon lost consciousness.
On regaining consciousness, Shannon lay perfectly still for a moment, not quite aware of her surroundings. As the memory of the nights events began to return, she tried to sit up. Pain seared through her body, making her stop still for a moment. She could hear Rick asleep in the bed next her. Just looking at him lying there reviled her. She felt the bile rise in her throat, and felt sick.

Suddenly there was no more fear only pity as she watched this sick, pathetic excuse of a man. Shannon thought about the knife, and wondered if it was still laying where she had pushed it. Getting up from the bed, every movement agony, she decided against the knife.

“No.”  she thought. “He’s not going to make me stoop to his level, and anyway, why shouldn’t the world know what kind of a monster he is?”

Quietly reaching for her robe from the hook on the door. Shannon left the room, walked down the stairs, and out of the house for good. The cold night air was refreshing and pure on her face. She was free. Never again would she let anyone treat her like that. She didn’t know if she would ever trust any man again, but at the moment she didn’t care.
She had been to hell and back, survived, and was going to be a much stronger women because of it.

Waving down a police car, she related a little of what had been happening to the officers. They radioed through for a WPC to escort Shannon to the hospital, and arranged back up for the arrest of Rick.

When Ruth arrived at the hospital, Shannon had been stitched, x rayed had her wounds cleaned and dressed, been photographed for evidence and given a statement. All she wanted now was to go home with Ruth. Safe in the knowledge that no-one would ever hurt her again.


End

5/10/08                                                                                                4774 words



© Copyright 2008 Pammi (pamelap at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1481820-A-Marriage-made-in-Hell