*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1494535-GG1-Lesson-6
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Other · Activity · #1494535
Lesson 6 - Adjectives
Exercise 6-1

In the passage below, all the adjectives have been removed. Add some appropriate adjectives to create a more interesting and descriptive paragraph. Try to restrict you additions to adjectives.
(1 point for each adjective used correctly)


The loud growl of the engine sputtered, as the plane rolled to a smooth stop on the empty field. A slim figure climbed out of the cockpit and off the wing, hopping lightly to the ground. As the figure removed the black helmet and goggles, the crowd gasped to see it was a woman! She smiled and waved, then turned to examine the plane. She unlatched the cover of the plane’s engine, folding it back so she could get a look at the engine. The sun glinted off the surfaces of the plane. A young boy in the boisterous crowd whistled as he took in the lines of the gleaming mono-wing.

Exercise 6-2

In the sentences below, select the proper form of the indicated adjective. (10 points)

1.She was one of the poorest spellers I have ever met.
2.He wanted to go to the concert in the worst way.
3.It was the best present ever!
4.I think the stew needs a little salt.
5.The ranch is just a little farther.
6.I really need more time to do the job properly
7.Drawing closer to the shore, the boat lay heavy in the water.
8.He was much handsomer than the guy, you dated last week.
9.The daiquiri was really weak, it tasted like unsweetened limeade.
10.The pile of laundry grew smaller as she continued to add items to the hot, soapy water.

Writing Exercise 6-1

Craft at least 300 words describing one of the following writing prompts.
(50 points, 5 bonus points if you use all five )

1.A sunset
2.Distant mountains
3.A sleeping child
4.An abandoned building
5.A mature tree

Alexis leaned against a mature oak tree, one leg up as she stared at the distant mountains. Her tousled black hair fell loose about her shoulders. She leaned her head back against the rough tree bark and sighed. Her daughter, Jezabell, lay sleeping, wrapped in a soft blanket, tiny black curls peeping out of the top. Her face looked peaceful and innocent in the waning light as Alexis held her.

Alexis watched the sun light the sky with pink, red, and golden colors as it sank slowly from view. A checkered blanket with a wicker picnic basket lay on the ground at her feet, the remains of a picnic lunch in the center. Visible against the mountain backdrop stood an old abandoned building with the roof at a deep slant toward the ground. It looked like at any moment a strong wind would bring the entire structure tumbling to the ground. A bulldozer and various construction materials stood a short distance away.

Alexis closed her eyes and tried to picture the people who must have lived in the house years ago. She pictured a tow-headed little boy and girl running through the high, waving grass. She imagined a mother, crisp white apron around her waist, calling the children in for dinner and looking upon the mountains just as Alexis did now. She dreamed of a happy family farming the land around her, raising crops and living off the land, at harmony with the world around them.

Jezabell began to stir in her arms. Her blue eyes stared sleepily up at Alexis. A smile lifted the corner of the baby's mouth and she cooed, happy to see her mother so close. Tiny fingers reached out for her mother's nose and Alexis leaned forward to allow her daughter's gentle, curious fingers to explore the curves of her face. Her daughter cooed and giggled as her fingers pulled at Alexis' nose and poked at Alexis' teeth hidden behind full, red lips. Kissing the tiny fingers, Alexis struggled to her feet with the baby and put Jezabell back into her car carrier. Jezabell gleefully began to pull at her toes and Alexis laughed at her futile efforts to suck on her own toes. Alexis gathered up the trash and remainder of the picnic and put it in the trunk. With a last look at the old building, she loaded her daughter into the car.

"Just think Jez, soon we'll have our very own home, right here." Alexis smiled down at her daughter. "I know you're going to love it here."

Word count: 424 (All five prompts were used or described)
© Copyright 2008 Charity Marie - <3 (cmstarrett at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1494535-GG1-Lesson-6