*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1516412-Rough-landing
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Family · #1516412
Joe should have listened to his brother
Entry in
15 for 15 Contest --- Closed  (18+)
Do you have 15 minutes? Come in and join this contest!
#994771 by Legerdemain
Prompt--a man suspended upside down in midair

"Are you scared?"

Of course I was scared, but I wasn't about to admit that to my know-it-all older brother. "Nope," I replied. "Let's just do it."

"I'll be waiting when you land," Jack said. "Don't forget to--"

"Yeah, yeah I know. I have done this before, you know."

"I know, but you never went to--"

"You're worse than mom and dad. Just go already. I'll be right behind you."

After Jack left, I took a deep breath and tried to ignore my shaking knees. Jack still treated me like a kid, even though I was almost sixteen. I'd show him I could manage without his constant instructions. I took another deep breath, closed my eyes, and visualized exactly where I wanted to go. With a sucking sound, everything went black. A brilliant flash surrounded me as I hung suspended in midair.

"I did it!" I cheered. Then I saw the ground and realized what Jack had been trying to tell me before I cut him off. A second later I landed face first in the sand.

"Joe are you okay?" Jack knelt beside me and helped me sit up.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I said, spitting sand. " I know, I know. You tried to remind me but I wasn't listening."

"It's okay." My brother clapped me on the back. "Don't tell anyone, but the first time I teleported to Australia, I landed upside down too. Come on, let's go have a look at the Great Barrier Reef."
© Copyright 2009 Arakun the Twisted Raccoon (arakun at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1516412-Rough-landing