*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1516405-A-fish-story
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Family · #1516405
A little girl wants to go fishing with her brothers
entry in
15 for 15 Contest --- Closed  (18+)
Do you have 15 minutes? Come in and join this contest!
#994771 by Legerdemain
Prompt--Three people fishing on a dock

"Mom, do we have to take Cindy with us?" Bill moaned. "She'll just get in the way."

"I will not," six year old Cindy protested. "I can fish just as good as you guys. I want to go."

"She can't even put a worm on the hook by herself," Dan said. "Last time she started whining about how slimy they were and Dad had to put it on for her."

"Boys, we've already been over this," their mother said. "Your father and I both have to work tomorrow so if you want to go fishing, you'll have to take your sister with you. I'm sure she'll be fine, worms or no worms. Now you had all better get to bed if you want to get an early start."

"Okay, but she has to bait her own hook or she doesn't get to fish," Bill said.

"Okay, I will," Cindy said, surprising even herself. She stuck out her tongue at her brothers as she went to her room, but she was worried. If only those worms weren't so disgusting. Then she got an idea.

The next morning, the three of them arrived at the lake before the sun was up. While the boys were arguing about who would catch the biggest fish, Cindy turned so they couldn't see and carefully baited her hook. She tossed it in the water and in minutes she felt a tug on the line.

"I got a bite, I got a bite!" she yelled. The boys watched open mouthed as she pulled in a nice rainbow trout. While they were staring at the fish, she turned aside and baited the hook again. At the end of the day, Dan had three fish, Bill had four, and Cindy had six, including the biggest one.

"I'd like to know how she baited all those hooks without screaming for help," Dan whispered to Bill as they packed the car.

"I'd like to know how she caught all those fish," Bill whispered back.

Cindy smiled. Who would have thought that fish liked Gummi worms better than regular worms? Maybe some day, she would share her secret with her brothers, but not today.
© Copyright 2009 Arakun the Twisted Raccoon (arakun at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1516405-A-fish-story