*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1528187-The-Giver-vs-Pleasanttville
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Other · Other · #1528187
A book review
The Giver vs. Pleasantville

You can’t help who you are. That is a statement that go both to The Giver and Pleasantville. People can’t expect you to act the same as everyone else. You are who you are, no matter what happens. People think they can mold you into their project but they can’t. You can only change if you really want too.
In The Giver, Jonas’ community goes through ceremonies to mold people into this sense of “sameness”. You go through stages to learn aspects of character. They are like robots. They don’t learn anything from life. They just live like bees in a hive. They all have a little job that they have to fulfil, and that’s like a life long dream to do that.
In Pleasantville, their community is just very blinded. They do everything by a routine also. They are not used to being different or doing things different. The soda shop man was really upset when Bud was late and he had to do everything himself. He wasn’t used to that and was really confused. Doing that kinda stuff makes you who you are and they are all the same, in both story lines.
© Copyright 2009 Lockhart (slockhart at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1528187-The-Giver-vs-Pleasanttville