*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1528189-The-Giver-vs-Pleasantville
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: · Other · Other · #1528189
The Giver vs. Pleansantville
In the novel The Giver and in the movie Pleasantville, there are several similarities and differences. They both had settings in black and white, where everything was the same. There was never change. Conflict happens within both the movie and the novel and people change. Both of them portray the saying, “No matter what, change happens”, through characters.
When Jonas first saw color, it was red. In the movie Pleasantville the first color seen was also red. In the Giver, Jonas experienced the memory of a rainbow so he could see all of the colors better. At the end of Pleasantville, a rainbow appears in the sky after people have changed. Then the entire city is in color. Also, main characters in both stories realized what love really was. Jonas loved The Giver. Bud’s father loved his mother. In both, they realize that change happens and it brings good things and bad things. People in the novel and the story realize that change is not bad, it is a good thing. They realize that with no change, they did not have their own personalities.
In Pleasantville all of the characters experience change. Bud made them realize that no matter what you do, change happens. In The Giver, Jonas is the only one who experiences change, except for The Giver. Bud changed when he stood up for what he believed in, but Jonas changed through the memories that he experienced. The town of Pleasantville had no knowledge of change until Bud and Mary Sue were new. The community in The Giver had knowledge, The Giver just could not tell them. When Jonas experienced change it was a good feeling for him, but in the movie most of the community did not like the change.
© Copyright 2009 Lockhart (slockhart at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1528189-The-Giver-vs-Pleasantville