*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1533387-Chapter-Five-Familiar-Stranger
by Grace
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Romance/Love · #1533387
The announcement arrives, and Crystal sees a familiar stranger in mysterious places.
** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **






Charles stepped to the side of the dance floor and watched his fiancée swirling around in the arms of his father. The man had insisted upon dancing with Crystal before he made the announcement, and Charles was willing to do anything to rush it along. Why they had to wait until their grand ball he would never understand. Crystal laughed at something his father said, and Charles felt a pang of jealousy, she smiled that brilliant smile she seldom wore around him. That was all right, though, he wasn’t marrying her for her smile, her name was more important. The fact that she was the fairest of her sisters was fine with him.

However, Crystal de la Chaise had been a difficult maid to win. He knew she was the one he wanted the day he saw her last year, at this very ball. She was the perfect wife for the image he wanted, quiet and submissive, she would do as he asked without question; her beauty only enhanced her appeal to him.

She hadn’t been too pleased with his advances in the beginning, he remembered. Had gone as far as avoiding him, yet he discovered quickly that the best way to get to her was through her family. So he enchanted them all. Katherine de la Chaise adored his charm and stature James de la Chaise respected his cunning mind. Her sisters thought him ideal. Through convincing them of his honesty and integrity he won Crystal’s hand, if not her love and devotion. That would come in time. He only wished to bring the engagement to light before she changed her mind. He could see it in her eyes, her doubt, but he knew she was too kind hearted and timid to let everyone down. Once their union was announced, she would be his, finally. Then he could attend to his future plans, gaining control of his family fortune.

He recalled the upsetting news he’d been told earlier that night, and his gaze sought William in the crowded room. The man was likely hiding in a corner. Instead Charles’ eyes rested on Antoine Medina, the man who was suddenly a large thorn in his side. He didn’t have time for mistakes, and any that arose had to be dealt with quickly. Otherwise everything he was working for could be lost. Not to mention the money and trades he would have to make to put the plan back in order.

He glanced once more at his father as he and Crystal passed near him. Why couldn’t the man do him one favor in all of his life, and die? Then this would be easy, he wouldn’t have to wait a month for everything to be perfect, and he’d be in control of his future.

“Almost time, Charles, are you ready for this?”

Charles glanced at William, who appeared suddenly beside him, quietly as usual. That was what was so useful about William, no one ever noticed him. “I’ve been ready for this for months.”

William followed Charles’ gaze to the couple on the dance floor. “Do you suppose he put Medina in the will for a reason?”

“My father? Not at all.” The sarcasm dripped from Charles’ voice. “He would never do anything to stand in the way of his son. Tis a shame that Medina will have to pay the debt for his boss’s mistakes.” Charles shot William a sharp glance, and saw his friend’s Adams apple bob up and down as he swallowed. “Would you be so kind as to pass the message on to Riley for me? I don’t want anything ruining what I’ve worked for.”

William’s eyes widened and he nervously patted his sweat laden forehead with a sopping handkerchief. His voice was shaky when he finally spoke.

“I’ll be sure to . . .”





*******





It was as the last note of another waltz with Charles faded, that Crystal heard the chime of a small silver bell calling the crowd’s attention.

Pierre de Marginy stood before the hearth straight and tall with a bell in his hand. “If you could all give me your attention for a moment please.” His strong voice reverberated around the vast room. “I would like to start by thanking you all for coming. Many of you have been invited to our ball every year since the turn of the century, when this house was first built. And that same group might have noticed that my lovely wife, Eleanor,” Pierre gestured with his glass to his wife, who was standing at the edge of the fireplace, “has spared no expense, from the fine wine we are all enjoying, to the gorgeous decorations. Nothing was left out this year, but my friends I did not do this all for you.” There was a low murmur of laughter across the room, “love you though I do. This ball, in fact, is for a special occasion. An occasion that I’ve been waiting on for a very long time. But I’m not going to be the one to reveal the secret to you. After all, it’s not my secret to tell. So, Charles, if you would.”

Charles left Crystal standing in the middle of the dance floor and strode through the crowd as they parted to let him pass. Pierre embraced his son heartily before giving him the floor. Charles’ response wasn’t stiff, but Crystal could make out the rigged set of his jaw. Letting go, he turned, a broad grin masking the barely noticeable disdain, and took his father’s place in front of the fireplace. Pierre stepped back beside his wife, grinning from ear to ear. “Thank you, Father, for the fine introduction,” Charles began, with a stiff nod of his head. “Ladies and gentlemen, If you know me, you are most probably aware that long speeches are not my strong point. So with no further ado, let me introduce Miss Crystal de la Chaise.”

As one the crowd turned to her, and she could tell they knew what was coming

Crystal walked slowly towards Charles feeling like her heart would pound out of her chest. She couldn’t breathe, everyone was watching her, this was it. There was no turning back, after tonight she would be the future Mrs. de Marginy de Mandeville.

She really couldn’t breathe.

Her feet were moving forward, people were whispering and giggling. Some of the young women were glaring at her, but she was barely aware of any of it. She felt trapped, how had this happened? How had she promised herself to a man she didn’t love? Hadn’t she always told herself she would marry for love and only love? She wanted to scream. She wanted to run. But she did neither. She just kept walking towards her fiancé. Towards her fate.

Breathe!

She finally managed to suck in a breath just as she reached Charles. He took her hand and planted a light kiss on her fingers. Plastering a smile on her face, Crystal faced the crowd around them. She was glad that she didn’t have to speak.

“It is my great pleasure to present to you–” No, don’t say it! I take it back! I don’t want to be your wife! But she realized that entirely too late. “–my future bride, Crystal de la Chaise!” Charles’ voice boomed across the room. His words were followed by zealous applause, and for the next fifteen minutes Crystal and Charles were swarmed as the crowd gathered to congratulate them. Crystal spotted her mother weeping happily on her father’s shoulder as she watched them from where she stood with the de Marginys, who were both beaming.

When the throng around Charles and Crystal finally thinned, Eleanor announced dinner. They all filed into the diningroom.

Charles led Crystal to the head of the table, helped her to sit in the seat across from his parents, and then took the seat at the head. Under the table he rested his hand on her knee. “I think that went well don’t you?” he asked, giving her knee a squeeze.

Crystal smiled weakly and looked down at her empty plate. At least it’s over , she thought trying to lift her own spirits, and failing miserably.

It took a bit of time for all the guests to get settled. Charles was laughing and entertaining the guests within moments. Crystal was glad that he was so distracted, and all she had to do was nod and laugh with the rest of them. She glanced down the length of the giant table, finding her sisters and June in the rows of endless faces. They all looked lighthearted and excited. As did the rest of the guests. The only person whose expression stood out in this sea of delight, was William Dreaux. He repeatedly dabbed at his forehead with his handkerchief, fidgeting restlessly as his eyes flickered from Charles, to Mr. de Marginy, to the man at Mr. de Marginy’s side. Crystal didn’t recognize the older Spanish man who conversed quietly with her fiance’s father. Though after a moment of listening she discovered his last name was Medina. This, however, did not solve the mystery of why William seemed so distraught. And, to her knowledge, did not relate back to the conversation she’d heard in the garden.

At that moment, more than twenty slaves filed into the dining room carrying large trays of food. On the menu tonight, Crystal observed, was cold meats, salads, salmis, galantines quaking in jellied seclusion, and an infinite variety of `a las. All of this was served from side tables, leaving the huge expanse of carved oak for flowers trailing from the tall silver `epergne in the center to the corsage bouquet at each place. Various wines in cut glass decanters and iced champagne were poured into Bohemian glasses. Illuminating all of this were wax candles in crystal chandeliers, and along the table as many as a dozen silver candelabra’s brightened the room.

After about an hour– in which time Crystal distracted herself by studying William and the three men that had him so upset– supper plates were cleared. Crystal’s of which hadn’t been touched, and the dessert trays were brought out. The selection was vast, custards, pies, jellies, creams, Charlotte Russes, a home-concocted sponge cake spread with raspberry jam encircling a veritable Mont Blanc of whipped cream dotted with red cherry stars. Towers of nougat and caramel, sorbets and ice cream served in little baskets woven of candied orange peel and topped with sugared rose leaves or violets. Everything looked so perfect she didn’t want to touch it, and her stomach was in complete agreement with that decision.

The meal lasted for almost two hours and, to Crystal, was the most pleasant part of the evening because Charles was so intent upon his conversation and food that he barely found time to speak to her. After supper there was more dancing. Charles became even more sly about fondling her, to the point that she had to simply refuse to dance with him at all. He tried to find a way around this by suggesting a walk in the gardens, which Crystal agreed to only because she knew his parents had taken another stroll as well. He didn’t try anything upon realizing this.

It was past midnight when the time finally came for them to leave. Crystal, who had been waning for hours, bid the de Mandevilles’ goodnight along with her parents, and let Charles escort her to the coach. Her parents immediately disappeared inside, but Charles was in the mood for a long good bye. He kissed her hand numerous times, told her he was the luckiest man alive more often than she could count. All the while trying to pull her away from the coach door and out of the view of her parents. He finally gave up when she claimed that if she did not return home soon she would surely pass out on the sidewalk. He kissed her cheek in final goodbye, whispering as he did so, “Dream of me.” But instead of putting images of himself in her head as he’d intended, Charles managed to do just the opposite, push himself out of her mind. He was replaced by a man she really had dreamed of.

A horrible image of a man laying on the blood soaked ground, his chest slashed open. Crystal stared blankly at Charles’ retreating back as the scene from her dream flashed through her mind, the sudden vision twisted her heart and sent her emotions reeling. She stood there for a full minute trying to pull herself back together before turning to Big Ben, who stood patiently waiting to assist her into the coach. “Thank you, Ben,” she murmured, her gaze still blank as she glanced at her mother and father.

Taking the seat opposite them, she leaned against the far window and closed her eyes feeling wretched for so many reasons. She could hear Dawn and Rose outside saying the last of their goodbyes, and wished they’d hurry. She desperately wanted to be alone.

“You did well tonight, Crystal,” Mother said, and she felt her mother pat her on the knee. “Though you could have payed a bit more attention to Charles during dinner – the two of you barely spoke the entire time. Not a good sign considering you just got engaged.” Their mother was not one to drown you with compliments. She preferred a healthy layer of critiscm on top of flattery.

Biting back a retort that she would later regret, Crystal sucked in a breath. All Mother had cared about since Crystal and Charles had begun courting was how Crystal treated Charles. It had never occurred to her to consider how Charles treated her daughter, and Crystal couldn’t help but resent her for it. She knew it was her mother’s greatest ambition to have all of her daughters marry well and be happy, but somewhere along the path to that goal Mother had become completely focused on the marry well part and had forgotten about their happiness.

“I’m sorry, Mother, forgive me for disappointing you.” Crystal said, her tone almost sarcastic, though neither of her parents seemed to notice.

“I didn’t say you disappointed me, darling, I was only suggesting that you pay a little more attention to your fiancé at meal times.” Mother gently admonished, oblivious to her daughter’s anger.

“Yes, Mother,” Crystal said shortly, she once again leaned her head out of the window and observed the people on the streets, ignoring her mother and father as they began discussing the success of the night.

Had it not been for the de Mandevilles’ ball the streets of Canal would have been overflowing with people. As it was, young and old alike strolled leisurely down the sidewalks, or sat drinking refreshments at the many cafes along the street. Some stopped to chat with friendly acquaintances, others called greetings as they walked along the median– a belt of lawn extending down the entire length of Canal, adorned with beautiful flower beds and small lush trees.

New Orleans was a city that was more active at night than during the day. As soon as the sun set, activity began to rise. The levee and parks filled with people escaping their houses for a breath of fresh air. Billiard rooms resounded, music struck up, and the city erupted into life.

A few buildings down the street was the bank that Charles would one day have complete control over– as he had reminded her at least ten times that night. Was that all he cared about? Money and power? He hadn’t even been concerned that his father would have to die for him to gain command over all the de Mandevilles’ property. The giant building was designed to be a Greek revival, built on a foundation of stone it had twelve giant columns surrounding the front entrance, each beautifully crafted. The roof was arched, with exuberant molding, and the image of a scale was carved into the front. Charles had given her a tour once and she had known that he was showing off, but she had been more willing to play the game of a smitten female then, and had exclaimed over every detail. What an idiot she was!

Giving the bank a final glance, she started to pull herself back into the coach, but stopped when an odd sight caught her eyes. A huge dark shadow emerged out of an alley beside the bank. There were few lights near the building and it was difficult to see, but the shadow struck her as odd.

She stared, wondering what it was. Then she let out her breath– which she hadn’t realized she’d been holding–. It was a horse, but then a smaller shadow emerged out of the bank’s front doors. Leaning farther out, she tried to get a better look, it was a man. The bank was long closed at this hour, what was he doing? Staying very still, she watched as the man walked over to the horse and mounted. The horse slowly walked forward then paused in the lamp light, and her heart skipped a beat.

Could it be?

He was too far away for her to be sure. But there was something in the way he sat on the horse that was familiar. Of course it could have been her mind playing tricks on her after the long night of dancing and the stressful announcement, and she had been thinking about him only moments before, that had to be it. But even so she had to be sure.

Scooting over to the other side of the coach, she called out to Rose and Dawn who were still talking with infatuated suitors. “Forgive me, dear sisters, but my stomach seems to be ailing me. If you would like we will go home now and send Ben back for you.”

“Crystal, what on earth are you doing?!” Came Mother’s appalled voice from behind her.

“No, Crystal, we will be right there. Hold on.” Dawn called back in a cheerful laughing voice, then turned back to the young gentlemen.

Frustrated, Crystal slid back to her seat and checked to make sure the man was still there, unaware of the shocked look on her mother’s face. He was under the light, though she could not tell what he was doing. Then the horse started forward into a brisk walk.

“Crystal, what in heaven’s name is so important that you would embarrass us so?” Mother demanded from behind her.

Crystal ignored the question, her thoughts focused on the man and his horse. He couldn't leave without her even knowing if it was him! She jumped again to the other window. “Dawn, Rose,” she called out sharply causing more than one person to look at her oddly and her mother to begin trying to discreetly pull her back inside. “If you would please, it’s getting late and I am feeling quite ill.”

Rose threw her an irritated glare and then whispered something in Dawn’s ear. Turning to Crystal she called. “Very well.” Bidding the young men a reluctant good-bye, they headed to the coach. Crystal went back to her window, searching for him in the shadows. Mother looked too outraged to speak.

Where is he? Crystal leaned farther out the coach, she scanned the streets, but he was gone. Her chance was gone.

She felt the slight tilt of the coach as her sisters got in. “What are you looking at?” asked Rose, looking over Crystal’s shoulder out the window.

“Nothing . . . it was nothing.”

Rose shrugged and turned to Dawn to gossip as the coach lurched and began to move. Mother opened her mouth, obviously ready to let loose on Crystal, but Crystal quickly apologized so throughly that Mother fell silent.

Crystal lay her head against the door, tired and disappointed. It probably hadn’t been him anyways , she thought trying to console herself. Why did she want to see him so badly? She had just gotten engaged, why was this mysterious stranger at the forefront of her mind at all? As they rode past the bank the alleys were dark, but empty. They moved on at a steady pace. The sound of the hoof beats against the cobbled street was lulling her to sleep. But then it got louder. Realizing it was not just their coach that was making the sound, she sat up straight and looked out the window. There was no one there. She leaned out farther to see behind them. No one. Once again disappointed, she started to lean back inside. That’s when she saw him.

In an alley– not fifty feet from her. His face covered in shadow, but still his face. He wore all black, just the way he had been in her dream. It was nearly impossible to see him, and yet she did. His horse stepped forward, and Crystal realized he was staring at her too. A stunned look on his face as he watched the coach pass. Their gazes locked for an instant, and in that gaze she felt a terrible heartache and a choking longing that made her catch her breath.

In a moment he was gone, melting into the shadows once more.

Crystal watched the alley he’d disappeared into, until they turned the corner and it was out of sight.

She was barely aware of the rest of the drive. It was nothing short of a miracle that she had seen him again. Now she knew that there really was something to her dream. It meant something, maybe she could help him, save him, somehow.

Only later when she sat at her vanity table, brushing her hair, she realized it would be nearly impossible to find him, someone she didn’t know in a city as big as New Orleans. No. It was a foolish idea. She couldn’t go wandering about by herself. She didn’t even know his full name– or if Joseph was his name– and if Charles found out he would be furious, not to mention the reaction of her parents. Was it really worth it? Praying for sleep she crawled into bed not even caring to braid her hair, the night had been long and she had thought her thoughts would be consumed with Charles and the plans for her wedding, but when she closed her eyes all she could see was the stranger and his anguished green eyes.





*******


Please continue:"Chapter Six: The Place d'Armes
© Copyright 2009 Grace (2beautiful7g at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1533387-Chapter-Five-Familiar-Stranger