*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1539577-Chapter-Six-The-Place-dArmes
by Grace
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Romance/Love · #1539577
Roaming the French Quarter, Crystal finds a voodooist's vision to be more than a trick.
** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **




The next week was spent entertaining friends who where eager to congratulate her on the fine catch and ask about the wedding. Who would be designing her dress? How many people were invited? Where were they honeymooning? It went on and on and Crystal wanted desperately to get away, just for a little while. Thankfully, Elizabeth was delivered of a healthy baby girl two days after the engagement party, and Crystal had an excuse to get away – with Dawn, and Rose – to visit her. The ride to Rosedown was long, not because it was very far away, but because of the immense amount of people that packed the streets of the French Quarter.

“We should have never left the house.” Dawn complained watching the throng of people out the window of their coach. “Sundays are the worst in the Quarter,”

“It’s not like we have anything else to do,” Rose pointed out.

“Dawn’s right,” Crystal sighed, observing the crowd of people on Chartres Street, Sunday was the worst. The entire Creole population went to mass in the morning and then flooded the streets in the afternoon to shop and socialize. There was little hope of getting anywhere’s quickly in a coach.

The multitude of people, carts, carriages and horses made it impossible for them to pass or even turn around. The coach became hot and stuffy in the afternoon heat, and Crystal longed for a breeze. There was no way to say how long they might have to sit here, and Rosedown was only a few blocks away from Chartres. She glanced at her sisters who were both staring sullenly out the window, waving their fans swiftly back and forth, Crystal pulled out her fan and did the same. There was no sound in the coach as they waited, though the activity outside more than made up for it. Another few minutes passed in silence before Dawn burst out, “I can’t take this anymore!”

Rose and Crystal regarded their sister with wide eyes. “What do you propose we do then?” Rose questioned, eyebrows raised.

“Walk,” Dawn said simply and opened the door of the coach.

“Walk?” Crystal repeated quite sure her sister had gone mad. They couldn’t walk unaccompanied through the French Quarter.

“Yes,” Dawn said, leaping from the coach with as much grace as was possible in a many layered skirt and a bonnet. Her actions causing small shrieks of surprise from Rose and Crystal.

“Dawn, you are not serious?” Rose demanded, her mouth open in shock.

“Of course I am.” Dawn strode to the front of the coach and explained to Joshua her decision, Crystal knew the shy boy wouldn’t protest. Dawn returned to the coach door. “Coming?” she asked her head cocked to the side in triumph.

Crystal stared at her sister for a short time, then glanced around. What’s the worst that can happen? She considered, you could be robbed, raped and murdered! said her conscious.

“Fine. I’ll go alone,” Dawn said spinning on her heel she began pushing through the crowd. “I’ll see you at Rosedown.”

“No– wait! I’m coming,” Crystal shouted, she pushed passed Rose and climbed from the coach after her sister. “I can’t believe we’re doing this,” she muttered once she’d reached Dawn’s side.

“Ro-o-se,” Dawn called out over the throng in a sing song voice, her eyes glittering with amusement.

“Oh all right!” Rose said, shooting an aggravated glance towards the sky. She cautiously exited the coach and slammed the door shut before striding towards them. “But if Mother finds out I am not taking the blame.”

Dawn rolled her eyes. “Just come on.” She took Crystal’s hand and waited for her to grab Rose’s hand before leading the way through the throng.

The noise was earsplitting, people shouting in French, English, Spanish, German, Greek, Italian and Choctaw clashed together and would make anyone’s head spin, but it also signaled excitement. It was only moments before Crystal and Rose forgot their doubts of moments before as they were swept up in the lively exhilaration of the Vieux Carre. When Dawn was sidetracked from their destination by the bustling activity of the public square in front of the St. Louis Cathedral, neither Crystal or Rose protested.

The Place d’Armes was filled to the bursting, as was normal on a Sunday afternoon. Inside the square was the Greek Sherbert vendor that the girls had visited often before. Wearing his usual bright crimson fez, he greeted them enthusiastically, and offered them a taste of his newest fruit sherbert. Once they had made their selections they moved on, silently observing the crowd as they enjoyed their refreshing treats.

Half-naked bronze-colored Indians reeled drunkenly through the mob, one nearly colliding with Rose who gave a little shriek of disgust and leaped out of the way. The Place d’Armes was abundant in provocative quadroon girls, wearing bright-striped tigons, and chaperoned by their mothers, who were boldly exhibiting them to the white gentlemen of the town. Old Creole men, wearing knee breeches and carrying gold snuff-boxes, walked along slowly, leaning on their canes. Nuns in black robes and veils appeared to float as they passed, eyes downcast. Young guards in uniform swaggered, eyes alert for pretty girls. Crystal firmly moved Dawn and Rose in the opposite direction as the men started towards them. “I’m engaged!” was Crystal’s response to their huffy glances.

They passed by young men of fashion, wearing suits of green and gray, flaunting their starched frills, as they paced around the square. Crystal half jokingly suggested Dawn and Rose pursue them, seeing as they were more suitable company for young ladies. To which Dawn responded that she wanted nothing to do with, “frilly little boys who are only concerned with their looks and last nights duel.”

Along the iron railings that surrounded the square were booths of oranges, bananas, sherbert, and beer. Negro women, balancing flat baskets on their heads, cried out their wares. “Ooh, estomac mulatre,” Dawn clapped her hands gayly, and waved down the woman.

“Dawn, you just had a sherbert,” Crystal said trying to pull her sister’s hand out of the air, but the woman was already coming towards them. Her white teeth standing out against her dark skin as she smiled– moments later they continued their stroll, Dawn happily munching on the ginger cake she had purchased.

They stopped at the front gate and observed the oyster stalls set along the river. Men and women waited before the vendors while the oysters were opened, and ate them fresh from the shell. Dawn opted to go and try one but Rose put her foot down. “Mother would be appalled! To be seen at the wharves is beneath our social standings– And it smells like fish!” Dawn gave Rose a resentful glare before stomping away from the gate.

Crystal and Rose watched her stride to a small cart where a sagging old grey haired woman sat like a raisin in the sun. She was surrounded by exotic bird feathers, small animal bones, little jars of powder, and necklaces adorned with tiny skulls. Upon noticing Dawn the old hag beckoned her forward, Dawn hurried to the cart as the woman grinned toothlessly at her, and began examining the strange objects that were presented to her by frail leathery hands.

“Has Dawn completely taken leave of her senses?” Rose asked aspirated. “Do you suppose she even realizes that that woman is a voodooist?”

Crystal shrugged as Dawn started tying one of the strange necklaces around her throat.

“Good heavens, doesn’t she know those people are evil?” With a huff Rose darted to Dawn’s side and though Crystal couldn’t hear them speaking, was obviously informing Dawn of the dark world of voodoo. However, Dawn did not seem too worried about it, and refused to hand the necklace over to Rose, all the while the old woman continued picking up funny objects and rambling on about them.

Crystal rolled her eyes and looked away from the squabbling trio, unconcerned with her sister’s naive behavior or the evilness of voodoo. The woman most likely was not a real voodooist at all. If she were she certainly wouldn’t be selling her special power in a vendor in the Place d’Armes, especially in front of the St. Louis Cathedral. Voodoo couldn’t exist so close to the holy center of the French Quarter.

Crystal studied the church critically, it had been decades since the old building had been restored and it showed. The decaying cathedral was still exquisite in design, the two bell shaped towers and central tower looming over the square as if protecting it, but the weather had taken its tole. The once brilliant place of worship, with its chiming bells and the gleaming clock face set into the middle tower, was now rotting from within and molding from the outside. Crystal wondered if it would ever be repaired, it would be inconceivable to live in New Orleans without the St. Louis Cathedral. She remembered all of the Christmas morning’s they had spent there, the christening of her younger siblings, and the funeral of Grandpapa. Mother had always thought the church was too formal and had preferred the smaller church she had attended in her youth, and brought her own children there every Sunday. It was only on special occasions that Father insisted that they go to the St. Louis Cathedral, the church of his childhood.

Crystal recalled the many stories her father had told her about the times he and her Uncle Paul had snuck up to the central tower to pretend they were guards watching for enemy ships in the look-out. The watchtower had once been used to warn of fires in the city at night, but those were times long gone. Now it was always empty.

At least it was usually empty.

Crystal lifted her hand to shield her eyes from the sun as she squinted trying to make out the odd movement she caught sight of. Was someone up there? Surely not, for it had long been considered dangerous because of the rotting floorboards, but she had seen movement. She had seen a man.

She watched a moment longer and thought she saw him again, just the haze of his face surrounded by black, but couldn’t be sure. After a few more minutes of nothing she tore her gaze away from the tower and searched the crowd for her sisters, spotting them at a cart of cheap jewelry a few stalls away from the voodoo woman.

She started towards them, wondering at the rapid pounding of her heart. She quickened her pace as she passed the voodoo cart, but stilled when she felt a cold hand on her shoulder. Turning slowly, she faced the haggard old witch. She was so close Crystal could smell her sour breath and see the dark twinkle in her black eyes.

“Come, let me read your future,” she said hoarsely, pulling Crystal towards her. “It will take but a moment.”

Crystal shook her head. “I’m sorry, I don’t have any money to give you.”

The toothless smile returned to the voodoo woman’s face. “No worries. The spirits do not require pay to reveal our fates.”

“I don’t think–”

“Come.” The woman tugged her to the cart and bid her wait while she mixed her repulsive ingredients together. Crystal read the bottle labels as she watched: Ground lizard’s bones, alligator blood, a single drop of snake venom, and something black as oil that was not marked.

She grew more curious with each passing second. What did the future hold? She observed wide eyed as the witch poured the dark liquid into a vial and slowly lifted it to her lips. Her mouth was black once she drained the bottle. The voodoo witch then closed her eyes and chanted quietly. Crystal stared at her uncertainly now, feeling unease crawl up her spine.

Suddenly the woman’s leathery hands darted out and caught her own, she jerked Crystal closer. Her eyes were still closed when she began to speak.

“You’re afraid of your future,” she whispered, her head falling back so she was talking to the sky. “I see two paths before you. Both are difficult journeys. One littered with tragedy, the other betrayal. Whichever you choose, you cannot stop what is coming.” The voodoo woman began to tremble and her head rolled on her shoulders. “You cannot stop it,” she repeated, her fingers clutching Crystal’s hand so hard that it hurt.

Crystal felt a chill grip her bones and she tried to pull away but the icy hand held fast. “What can’t I stop?”

“You will search for ways, but find nothing you do can help. Fate has already decided. Death is on both paths.”

“Please . . .” She twisted beneath the tight grip, wanting to run, afraid of the woman’s words but not understanding. “–let me go.”

“There is nothing you can do.” The witch leaned closer, her eyes popping open. They whirled inside her head, demons dancing.

“Stop it!”

“Crystal, what’s going on?”

The woman quickly let go as Rose approached, followed by Dawn, both looking worried. Crystal tried to speak to assure them everything was all right, but found that words caught in her throat. She turned to see if the voodooist would explain but she was staring at Crystal, her gaze blank. Finally the voodoo woman blinked and went back to fiddling with her displays as if nothing had happened.

Rose threw the vendor a nasty look as she took Crystal by the arm. “Come on, we should be on our way.”

“Wait, I have a gift.”

The three girls turned as one toward the woman. She held up a strip of leather tied to a compass, inside an arrow spun without ceasing. Before she realized what she was doing Crystal had the necklace in her hand, staring at it as if entranced.

“Wear it close to your heart and it will help you choose.”

Crystal nodded and stuffed the compass in her dress pocket and without a thank you she strode away with her sisters, who were both regarding her with baffled expressions.



*******



Though it took them longer than they had planned, eventually they arrived, a little breathless and very thirsty, on St. Phillip’s Street and made there way to Rosedown’s front door.

The house was in a line of similar structures, rising directly from the sidewalk each touching its neighbor. The facade of the house was dominated by tall galleries, two-storied and supported by a row of iron posts set in the curb. These galleries sketched a lacelike tracery of leaves and flowers against the stucco– waist-high railings, scrolled panels of filigree marking the lift of the higher posts, all topped by a final design against the sky. On ground level there was a pair of windows with neatly painted blue shutters. On the right end a short flight of steps led to a formal doorway, set between half-columns under an arched fanlight. At the other end stood a larger entrance, a carriageway with heavy double doors. In one of the leaves a smaller opening was cut for the convenience of visitors. Through this door they entered.

Rosedown was deep in proportion to its width, reaching far back to a large patio where a curved wooden staircase led upstairs to the main story. Crystal, Rose and Dawn climbed these stairs and knocked on the heavy white wooden door. An older Negro with salt and pepper hair opened it with a grin.

“Ah, Mrs. De Bore been s’pectin’ ya. I been tellin’ her yed be he’e but da mistress, she jus’ impatient.”

“Yes, Lee, I’m sorry we didn’t get here sooner,” Crystal said. “I suppose we got sidetracked.”

“It don’ madde’ she been sleepin’ da whole time, mos’ly. Ever since she had dat babe she jus’ bein’ sleepin’. But she ‘wake now so you goes on up.”

“Thank you, Lee,” Crystal murmured. “And if you would please send up some refreshments, we’re all a little parched.”

“Yes, mem.” Lee gave a short bow as they passed over the threshold.

Rosedown’s entrance hall was dark after the bright sunlight outside and it took a moment for their eyes to adjust. They walked down the narrow hall and up a flight of stairs to one of the many doors on their left. Knocking quietly, there was a muffled sound from the other side. Assuming that this meant enter, Crystal opened the door. Elizabeth was propped up in her giant bed, dressed only in her bed robe, holding their new niece in her arms. She smiled warmly as they entered the room.

“Well look who finally came to see their first niece.”

Color filled all of the girls cheeks as they edged into the room. “We’re so sorry, Elizabeth,” Crystal said hurrying to her sisters side. “We’ve been so busy. Mother was insistent that I entertain half the city after the engagement was announced. Even though I know she’s been here dozens of times.”

“It’s all right.” Elizabeth laughed at their remorseful expressions. “Just tell me everything about the ball.”

“Can’t we meet our niece first?” Dawn asked stepping to the other side of the bed and studying the tiny bundle.

“Oh of course.” Elizabeth gently handed the baby over to Dawn who cradled her snugly in her arms.

“She’s beautiful.” Dawn said in awe.

Rose moved to Dawn’s side and lifted the blanket away from the baby’s face. “What’s her name?”

“Faith. Faith Katherine, after Mother.”

Dawn made a face and they all burst out laughing.

“What’s the matter?” Elizabeth asked.

“You named her after Mother?”

“Yes, Mother was delighted.”

“That’s a first,” Crystal muttered.

“Can I hold her?” Rose interjected eagerly.

“Wait,” Dawn said sitting down next to Elizabeth on the bed. “I haven’t held her that long yet.”

“You’ll have time, Rose,” Elizabeth reassured. “You all owe me a good long visit.”

They all settled down, Rose perching on the edge of an armed chair on one side of the bed while Crystal curled into the one on the other side.

“And where is your dear doctor husband?” Dawn asked glancing about the room as if he was hiding in the closet or behind the curtains.

Elizabeth smiled softly. “He’s barely slept since the baby arrived. I finally got him to go take a nap about an hour ago. Of course that was only after I promised him that if I felt– and I quote ‘any sort of pain whatsoever. Even so much as an ache.’ I would send for him. He’s been so worried about me, even though nothing went wrong.”

Crystal laughed. “That’s very sweet of him. You shouldn’t give him a hard time for simply wanting to protect you.”

Elizabeth laughed as well. “Well, you’ll probably be complaining about the same thing one day in the not so far future. Oh yes, the ball, tell me everything.”

Crystal heaved a great sigh at Elizabeth’s words, irritated that she seemed to be the only one not excited about her wedding. She let Dawn and Rose tell the main events while she filled in the details. Her mind kept wondering back to the square and the old woman with her dark all-knowing eyes. You cannot stop it. Surely the woman wasn’t talking about– how could she know? Her dreams were her own were they not? She felt in her pocket, the compass resting inside, assuring her she hadn’t hallucinated. She didn’t know what she intended to do with a broken compass, but something had urged her to take it. Nevertheless she would probably toss it, she had never believed in such nonsense as voodooism. But if it wasn’t real how had the woman known about him?

Jacob came in an hour before supper, dark circles under his grey-blue eyes. Visibly suppressing a yawn, he kissed Elizabeth and the baby and sat down on the edge of the bed, raking his hand back through his short wheat colored hair, he squeezed her ankle affectionately. “How are you feeling?”

“I’m fine, darling. I’ve been resting all day. I think it’s your turn to rest now.” She smiled at him reassuringly. “My sisters will keep me company.”

“I’m sure they would.” Jacob said casting a smile there way. “But it’s getting late, Lee can escort you home, and you will be back in time for dinner.”

“Oh, can they not stay for dinner?” Elizabeth asked.

“You need to rest,” Jacob insisted.

“I can rest after dinner.”

“After and before,” Jacob said firmly, he stood and carefully lifted Faith from Elizabeth’s arms.

Standing as well, Crystal bent over Elizabeth and gave her a hug. “We’ll come back tomorrow, all right?”

Elizabeth nodded, returning the embrace.

They returned home in the de Bore’s coach and Crystal hid the necklace deep in her trunk of old clothes.





*******








Please continue with: "Invalid Item

© Copyright 2009 Grace (2beautiful7g at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1539577-Chapter-Six-The-Place-dArmes