*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1535238-The-Sarcastic-Apprentice
Rated: E · Short Story · Comedy · #1535238
This was written for the "Make Me Laugh Contest" Mar. 6, 2009.
         The young apprentice gesticulated wildly as he muttered the words that had been taught to him by the master of his order. With wide eyes he waited for the result of his actions. The onlookers held their breath in silence.

         Poof! When the smoke cleared, there sat the ugliest little dog that had ever been imagined on the table in front of him. He stared with accomplishment.

         “Why in the world did you summon this unfortunate creature?” asked his master.

         “You asked me to show you beauty. Compared to this, even the lunch lady Ms. Fizzywhig looks appealing.” the apprentice replied.

         His master chortled. With a wave of his hand the dog disappeared.

         “Now I would like you to show me courage.” said his master.

         With a nod, the apprentice began his wild movements and spoke the words.

         Poof! When the smoke cleared there stood Richard Simmons in the middle of the room doing aerobics and generally being cheerful.

         “Richard Simmons?” his master asked with a furrowed brow. “I don’t understand.”

         “Anyone who would wear shorts that small in public is much braver than I.” replied the apprentice.

         At this, his master shook his head.

         “I believe in you!” shouted Simmons.

         With another wave Simmons was gone. Apparently to the relief of all who were there.

         “Dare I ask you the last question of your test?” his master asked.

         “Of course.” the apprentice replied.

         “I want you to show me humbleness.”

         The apprentice flayed his arms and again spoke the words.

         Poof! There stood his master in nothing but his underwear! He used his hands to cover himself.

         “What is the meaning of this?” his master exclaimed.

         “Don’t you feel humble?” was his response.

(word count: 286)
© Copyright 2009 The Foolish Ford Prefect (fordprefect at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1535238-The-Sarcastic-Apprentice